The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

Beef, chorizo chilli stew:

http://www.allaboutyou.com/food/recipefinder/chunky-beef-chorizo-chilli-stew-recipe-52378

Didn't have polenta and didn't do the topping bit but was one of the best things I've cooked in a slow cooker yet. Only thing I did differently was sprinkle some flour over the beef to make sure the sauce thickened.

Did you use the Schwartz slow cooker mix for this?

If so let me know if ts good, as have a packet in the house

Aye it was - not the tastiest tbh, would've been better doing a sauce myself and hubby didn't like the beans in it :rolleyes:

I thought these new packets for the slow cooker would be a great idea but if there's not much flavour then what's the point???

Beef, chorizo chilli stew:

http://www.allaboutyou.com/food/recipefinder/chunky-beef-chorizo-chilli-stew-recipe-52378

Didn't have polenta and didn't do the topping bit but was one of the best things I've cooked in a slow cooker yet. Only thing I did differently was sprinkle some flour over the beef to make sure the sauce thickened.

sounds tasty. going to try it! :)

Edited by footiechick

Aye it was - not the tastiest tbh, would've been better doing a sauce myself and hubby didn't like the beans in it :rolleyes:

I thought these new packets for the slow cooker would be a great idea but if there's not much flavour then what's the point???

Unknown to me, my wife had used this along with some beef stock and red wine, to add to a stew she made yesterday,with cubed beef,carot,onions& tumip.

Had it for dinner last night with big chunky wedges of buttered bread and it was fab.

Just added enough flavour to this,which was helped with the stock,beef juices and red wine, but as you say, think you'd need something better to have with sausages

I've currently got a more upmarket version of Unleash the Nade's BBQ pulled pork recipe in the slow cooker just now.

Chop about 1/2 an onion and put it in the pot with 5 tbsp tomato ketchup, 4 tbsp cider vingear, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sacue, 2 tbsp yellow mustard, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp of salt 1/2 tsp pepper and a fair sprinkle of paprika. Mix the lot up.

Take 700 gram pork shoulder (Asda do a good one) and cut into two. Bung it in and get it good and covered in the sauce. Cook on HIGH for eight+ hours, then take it out and pull to pieces with two forks - it should more or less fall apart as soon as you touch it. While you're doing that leave the remaining sauce on high, then chuck the shredded meat back in and mix up, leave the sauce to reduce for a few minutes if possible.

I'll be serving mine up on some toasted deli rolls this evening, with a nice helping of my favourite BBQ sauce on top. Maybe some cheese as well.

Outstanding. The house smells absolutely amazing at the moment as it cooks.

I've currently got a more upmarket version of Unleash the Nade's BBQ pulled pork recipe in the slow cooker just now.

Chop about 1/2 an onion and put it in the pot with 5 tbsp tomato ketchup, 4 tbsp cider vingear, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sacue, 2 tbsp yellow mustard, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp of salt 1/2 tsp pepper and a fair sprinkle of paprika. Mix the lot up.

Take 700 gram pork shoulder (Asda do a good one) and cut into two. Bung it in and get it good and covered in the sauce. Cook on HIGH for eight+ hours, then take it out and pull to pieces with two forks - it should more or less fall apart as soon as you touch it. While you're doing that leave the remaining sauce on high, then chuck the shredded meat back in and mix up, leave the sauce to reduce for a few minutes if possible.

I'll be serving mine up on some toasted deli rolls this evening, with a nice helping of my favourite BBQ sauce on top. Maybe some cheese as well.

Outstanding. The house smells absolutely amazing at the moment as it cooks.

Sounds fab but you must have some Jalapenos!!!!

Still my favourite SC recipe

so this thread has got me gagging to buy a slow cooker, anyone recommend a good one?

depends how many people you're coking for.

We have the Morphy Richards 6.5 litre,which is ideal for a family of 4.

If only a couple of you, then the 3.5 will suffice.

Heres a link to all sold at Argos slow cookers

Offer of the day will tell you what's the cheapest available at this time. The Argos one looks a good deal. Tesco appear to have one cheaper, but there's no photo and not a lot of information on the search results page I've linked to there, so the Argos one may be a better deal. In short, all the supermarkets have some cheap ones on the go just now, so compare them on there.

Sounds fab but you must have some Jalapenos!!!!

Still my favourite SC recipe

I don't know why I didn't think of that myself, but I've gone out and bought an absolutely monster jar of jalapenos to put on my rolls. Happy days.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You can make jam and things in them... I have a couple of recipes:

Rice pudding:

75g pudding rice

50g caster sugar

1 litre milk

25g butter

ground nutmeg

Place the rice, sugar and milk into the slow cooker and stir well. Top with shavings of butter and the grated nutmeg. Cook on 'high' for 4 hours. Stir halfway through cooking.

I've got a version of this with rice milk in the slow cooker for my dairy free diva.

• 1 month later...

So picked up a cheapy tesco slow cooker and am attempting to make some pulled pork. Made a sauce out of BBQ sauce, cider, ketchup, mustard, garlic and chilli. Basically just threw everything at it. Hopefully it'll work out.

It's not gonna be ready til about 10 tho =/

So the pork turned out pretty nice, but some dry bits. Think next time will completely submerge the meat. On hindsight the copious amounts of cayenne pepper, large helping of mustard and scotch bonnet in the sauce was maybe a bit hot, but when you just dip the meat in and shake off the excess it was pretty damn good.

As for a chicken recipe, id do something like

Chicken (probably thighs and wings, maybe drumsticks) browned off in a pan then remove, sweat some onions/shallots and garlic in same pan. Deglaze with some white wine, I like chardonnay with chicken, and chicken stock. Then chuck in the slow cooker with some carrots or leeks. Chuck in a couple of potatoes to thicken the sauce and a bay leaf and seasoning etc. After its cooked, remove chicken and veg, thicken up the sauce with the potato and some cream and add some parsley.

If you are using chicken tho, wings are great for flavouring the sauce/stock so u defo want them in even if you dot fancy eating them.

I made a dish with chicken thighs and found a recipe online

(it's american hence the cups)

250ml of passata

!/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 garlic cloves

Bung it all in and cook on low for 8hours.

The meat fell off the bone and it was nice but a bit salty, would use light soy sauce next time. Served it with rice.

I did this lamb tagine last friday and it was brilliant.Seve with cous cous and some greek yoghurt with mint and cucumber mixed through it

Cooked on low for 8 hours after browning off the lamb

Ingredients

1 tsp cayenne pepper

2 tsp ground black pepper

1½ tbsp paprika

1½ tbsp ground ginger

1 tbsp turmeric

2 tsp ground cinnamon

1 x shoulder of lamb, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in chunks (about 1.1kg/2½lb meat in total)

1 large onions, grated

3 cloves garlic, crushed

1 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes

115g/4oz dried apricots, cut in half

55g/2oz dates, cut in half

55g/2oz sultanas or raisins

85g/3oz flaked almonds

Few strands of Saffron

600ml/1 pint lamb stock

1 tbsp clear honey