1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:
8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:
Like the absolute da that I am I finally signed up to twitter over the weekend. 
I have no intention of ever tweeting anything but just wanted to get news, transfer rumours etc all in an accessible place. 
f**k me, it doesn’t take long for it to start suggesting some fairly psychotic stuff. I don’t know who I followed that made twitter think I ‘may like’ twitter pages about masculinity and how to ‘get girls’ and keep them under control. 
Genuinely quite disturbing stuff. I may go back to getting my news from the broadsheets. 

I've been wondering about signing up for a while for similar reasons. I'm now trying to decide if you've sold the idea to me or put me off.

I signed up for the same reason and put all the privacy setting to max. You do get more adverts but I just scroll past them. I don't follow anyone or even look at my own page, so it's pretty much as before but with full access and the ability to drop a witty barb.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

:lol: I was genuinely quite taken aback. 

It may have been something I did but was surprised that it got very dark, very quickly. 

Id say the timeline gives me maybe 20% of what I actually wanted to see and the rest was either rubbish or quite troubling. 

They have 2 settings, there's an icon on the top right, if you click that you can switch between tweets from people you follow in chronological order or their suggested ones which is basically a load of shite designed to keep you constantly scrolling. 

8 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

They have 2 settings, there's an icon on the top right, if you click that you can switch between tweets from people you follow in chronological order or their suggested ones which is basically a load of shite designed to keep you constantly scrolling. 

That’s genuinely quite helpful, thank you. 

54 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I have no intention of ever tweeting anything but just wanted to get news, transfer rumours etc all in an accessible place. 

f**k me, it doesn’t take long for it to start suggesting some fairly psychotic stuff. I don’t know who I followed that made twitter think I ‘may like’ twitter pages about masculinity and how to ‘get girls’ and keep them under control. 

Genuinely quite disturbing stuff. I may go back to getting my news from the broadsheets. 

I found this when I very briefly dipped my toe in that TikTok shite, after a mate at work had told me about some football banter stuff he watched on it. Absolutely no idea how their content drivers work.

I signed up but never posted a single thing, followed anyone, or even liked or commented on one thing (or whatever the terminology is on there), nothing. Yet my feed seemed to consist 99% of either ladies ranging between about 20-50 in skimpy gear trying to get you to follow their own (presumably paid for) content, idiots along the lines of that Jonathan Pie clown, or clips from family guy.

The semi-naked middle aged munters got pretty boring pretty quickly. I'm assuming this stuff is along only fans lines, but how do they all make money off it? Must be some amount of saddo's out there willing to pay though, unless they're all willing to sell their wares for the price of a couple of Kopparberg's every month.

The Family Guy stuff was entertaining though.

21 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I found this when I very briefly dipped my toe in that TikTok shite, after a mate at work had told me about some football banter stuff he watched on it. Absolutely no idea how their content drivers work.

I signed up but never posted a single thing, followed anyone, or even liked or commented on one thing (or whatever the terminology is on there), nothing. Yet my feed seemed to consist 99% of either ladies ranging between about 20-50 in skimpy gear trying to get you to follow their own (presumably paid for) content, idiots along the lines of that Jonathan Pie clown, or clips from family guy.

The semi-naked middle aged munters got pretty boring pretty quickly. I'm assuming this stuff is along only fans lines, but how do they all make money off it? Must be some amount of saddo's out there willing to pay though, unless they're all willing to sell their wares for the price of a couple of Kopparberg's every month.

The algorithm takes into account how long you idle on a video. So if you watch such videos for longer you get them recommended ye big pervert! 

Seriously though it's a really creepy website/app. I watched a Panorama documentary about it and they set up phones with no prior usage and hovered over the dodgy stuff for longer and in about 30 mins or so they were getting recommended gore, young girls of questionable age dancing provocatively, self harm and extremist content. 

It's like the YouTube rabbit holes on crack. Practically encourages the worst of people's behaviours and due to the app mainly being used by younger people it's a recipe for disaster, particularly some of the stuff pushed towards young kids with eating disorders or depression/self harm is genuinely frightening. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I've been wondering about signing up for a while for similar reasons. I'm now trying to decide if you've sold the idea to me or put me off.

get yer @s up

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

Very first thing I got on tiktok was a bunch of that menanist shit.  

32 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

The algorithm takes into account how long you idle on a video. So if you watch such videos for longer you get them recommended ye big pervert! 

Seriously though it's a really creepy website/app. I watched a Panorama documentary about it and they set up phones with no prior usage and hovered over the dodgy stuff for longer and in about 30 mins or so they were getting recommended gore, young girls of questionable age dancing provocatively, self harm and extremist content. 

It's like the YouTube rabbit holes on crack. Practically encourages the worst of people's behaviours and due to the app mainly being used by younger people it's a recipe for disaster, particularly some of the stuff pushed towards young kids with eating disorders or depression/self harm is genuinely frightening. 

I used the app rarely, and that was the content I got right from the off, though. All apps will obviously push the content you view most and stuff that it assumes you like. I also imagine that those folk who want you to pay for their content will in turn pay a premium to the app owner for more general exposure in the hope of reeling more punters in. Again, as you say, there will be a helluva lot of extreme stuff from various categories available to vulnerable folk and youngsters to whom it could cause harm. It's an increasingly dangerous place for people in vulnerable positions. 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Channel 5 did a show about this years ago. They interviewed a woman while she had sex with the Eiffel Tower, it was one of the greatest moments in TV history. 

Here we go 

Edited by Detournement

45 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Channel 5 did a show about this years ago. They interviewed a woman while she had sex with the Eiffel Tower, it was one of the greatest moments in TV history. 

Here we go 

There was also one with blokes fancying each other’s cars. One was caught trying to shag his mates cars exhaust pipe.

Might have been the same programme but there was also a wifie that had the hots for a roller coaster or the waltzers or some such.