3 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

This is some company to be keeping.

Minter for the Knights Templar.

image.png.10efa2916b6e05ae1fb58c6879f683f3.png

Not really surprised to see Rangers have finally settled on a new terrorist group to support since the UDA seems to have truly packed it in. 

The yanks seem to be going tonto about Door Dash, which I think is a Just Eat equivelent, and the acceptability or otherwise of ordering the majority of your food from there.  Some truly insane takes, where people who want to overthrow the system and have a revolution explain in painful detail why they are unable to go to a shop, buy a microwave meal, bring it home, heat it and then consume it.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

The yanks seem to be going tonto about Door Dash, which I think is a Just Eat equivelent, and the acceptability or otherwise of ordering the majority of your food from there.  Some truly insane takes, where people who want to overthrow the system and have a revolution explain in painful detail why they are unable to go to a shop, buy a microwave meal, bring it home, heat it and then consume it.

Some great reading in here:

A crosspost with the "menu anxiety" thread awaits.

6 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

A crosspost with the "menu anxiety" thread awaits.

I feel bad that starting that thread may mean people think I’m a gammony “these kids today” type of person. The people I know of that generation (zoomers are born between 1997 and 2012 I think) are very cool and together and in many ways far cleverer and more interesting than I was at their age. Ironically, one thing I find the Z-ers are far better at is food - until I was about  25 to 30 I had no interest in cooking or even eating out well, I just ate anything and focused socially on drinking. The kids I know through work and family are all much more refined in their tastes than I was or any of my mates were.

I feel there’s a specific subtype of person who gets drawn into the “DoorDash is about my human rights” stuff.

Edited by ICTChris

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I feel bad that starting that thread may mean people think I’m a gammony “these kids today” type of person. The people I know of that generation (zoomers are born between 1997 and 2012 I think) are very cool and together and in many ways far cleverer and more interesting than I was at their age. Ironically, one thing I find the Z-ers are far better at is food - until I was about  25 to 30 I had no interest in cooking or even eating out well, I just ate anything and focused socially on drinking. The kids I know through work and family are all much more refined in their tastes than I was or any of my mates were.

I feel there’s a specific subtype of person who gets drawn into the “DoorDash is about my human rights” stuff.

It's an identity politics thing in the US particularly among the very immature anarkiddy people who describe their ADHD as a disability. Tbf that I suppose is part of "the left" but every American lefty i follow is making fun of them, and it started with people telling others to stop treating delivery drivers like their personal servants.

Some very weird stuff like claiming a remarkable proportion of the population can't ever eat leftovers because of histamines

I'm sorry everyone, I need to go deeper into the Door Dash Discourse.

This man's job seems to be to post sports betting tips on Twitter. With an economic grasp like this I can understand why you think 18 dollars (£14.24) is worth ten minutes.

I'm assuming/hoping this is 8AM to 11AM. Three hours of work? Of sitting down and talking? I get up at 6 in the morning for an actually physically demanding job and I still manage to force some Weetabix and a banana down me in the half hour I'm awake before I get up and get dressed. And in fact a reply to this from Meg says "Such is the blessing and curse of a silly email job." so... are we even including commuting in this? Surely, surely people aren't doing this while working from home?

More from Lia...

mate. i can make breakfast. i’m not speaking for me. besides, i’m graduating with three degrees. i just happen to know that my circumstances aren’t universal and that disabled people exist. just because i can make myself breakfast doesn’t mean other people can.

(Here's a question and a hill I will quite happily die on - why can none of these fucking zoomers use a fucking shift key? Why is everything lower case? Do they think they look really cool and disinterested in everything? Honestly get so far to f**k.)

More from Lia...

wow so disabled people are just entitled and spoiled? cool take bro. just because i’m disabled and can make my own breakfast doesn’t mean it’s the same for everyone. and even i can’t do it every day because I AM DISABLED. and some days are worse than others.

Anyway.

Is 'eating' literally the most basic human function there is? At least outside of automatic things like breathing? I think it might be. How can someone work 70 hours a week from home and be physically or mentally unable to... feed themselves?

I don't know which part of all of this I'm struggling with the most. Is it people who complain about the cost of living spending ~300-400% more than the actual value of a single meal? Is it a generation - or more - of people unable to cook? Or so worn down by the convenience of technology that the notion of fending for yourself and maintaining your life or a household doesn't exist, you can press a screen and spend some electronic money and make food happen on its own? Is Wall-E going to become reality?

I'm not going to claim I spend hours a day preparing haute cuisine meals for myself and my household of ten while working 80 hour weeks doing Very Important and Real Job Things but there is absolutely no situation at all, ever, where I would have things like this delivered on a regular basis. Some people might be sick or disabled or temporarily indisposed and if they need to rely on services like this in those moments then fine. If they need to use them on a more regular basis, that's fine too. I'd be willing to bet a reasonable amount of money (three bagels) though that a vast, vast majority of people who order these kinds of deliveries several times a week could quite easily do, prepare or acquire things on their own if their smartphone didn't exist.

Thanks Chris, you've finally found the Twitter argument that breaks my brain.  I always wondered what it would be. 

45 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm sorry everyone, I need to go deeper into the Door Dash Discourse.

This man's job seems to be to post sports betting tips on Twitter. With an economic grasp like this I can understand why you think 18 dollars (£14.24) is worth ten minutes.

I'm assuming/hoping this is 8AM to 11AM. Three hours of work? Of sitting down and talking? I get up at 6 in the morning for an actually physically demanding job and I still manage to force some Weetabix and a banana down me in the half hour I'm awake before I get up and get dressed. And in fact a reply to this from Meg says "Such is the blessing and curse of a silly email job." so... are we even including commuting in this? Surely, surely people aren't doing this while working from home?

More from Lia...

mate. i can make breakfast. i’m not speaking for me. besides, i’m graduating with three degrees. i just happen to know that my circumstances aren’t universal and that disabled people exist. just because i can make myself breakfast doesn’t mean other people can.

(Here's a question and a hill I will quite happily die on - why can none of these fucking zoomers use a fucking shift key? Why is everything lower case? Do they think they look really cool and disinterested in everything? Honestly get so far to f**k.)

More from Lia...

wow so disabled people are just entitled and spoiled? cool take bro. just because i’m disabled and can make my own breakfast doesn’t mean it’s the same for everyone. and even i can’t do it every day because I AM DISABLED. and some days are worse than others.

Anyway.

Is 'eating' literally the most basic human function there is? At least outside of automatic things like breathing? I think it might be. How can someone work 70 hours a week from home and be physically or mentally unable to... feed themselves?

I don't know which part of all of this I'm struggling with the most. Is it people who complain about the cost of living spending ~300-400% more than the actual value of a single meal? Is it a generation - or more - of people unable to cook? Or so worn down by the convenience of technology that the notion of fending for yourself and maintaining your life or a household doesn't exist, you can press a screen and spend some electronic money and make food happen on its own? Is Wall-E going to become reality?

I'm not going to claim I spend hours a day preparing haute cuisine meals for myself and my household of ten while working 80 hour weeks doing Very Important and Real Job Things but there is absolutely no situation at all, ever, where I would have things like this delivered on a regular basis. Some people might be sick or disabled or temporarily indisposed and if they need to rely on services like this in those moments then fine. If they need to use them on a more regular basis, that's fine too. I'd be willing to bet a reasonable amount of money (three bagels) though that a vast, vast majority of people who order these kinds of deliveries several times a week could quite easily do, prepare or acquire things on their own if their smartphone didn't exist.

Thanks Chris, you've finally found the Twitter argument that breaks my brain.  I always wondered what it would be. 

You have to wonder when you read several paragraphs getting progressively more mad about Americans arguing over takeaway delivery whether Twitter might actually not be a good way for people to spend their free time 

Just now, GHF-23 said:

You have to wonder when you read several paragraphs getting progressively more mad about Americans arguing over takeaway delivery whether Twitter might actually not be a good way for people to spend their free time 

I always wondered when twitter would melt my brain. Young Americans ordering takeaways did it. I wouldn't have had it in the top 100 if I had to guess. 

You get disabilities where the symptoms range and are constantly in flux, meaning the sufferer can be in agony for three hours and all but incapacitated but then back to a reduced pain level and better mobility quite suddenly at the end of the third hour. An example is degenerative disc disease where the spinal nerves are impinged upon by the weakened discs but the extent of the impingement varies. It can be down to various factors such as how tired the sufferer's postural muscles in the lower back are and how much or how little they're able to hold the disc in place to stop nerve impingement. The symptoms aren't constant and there's periods of let up (although it's relative, most sufferers experience dull pain and certainly reduced mobility even when they're "feeling good"). Such folk can work from home while also suffering from disability and chronic pain but they'd be fucked if they had to work scheduled hours because flare ups would inevitably happen during that time.

These folk require help to get them what they need but anyone suggesting Doordash as the solution is being short-sighted and naive.

1 hour ago, GHF-23 said:

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I always wondered when twitter would melt my brain. Young Americans ordering takeaways did it. I wouldn't have had it in the top 100 if I had to guess. 

Don't know where these people are at, I see two people in my apartment complex getting Door Dash or the equivalent on a somewhat regular basis, but I also see them arriving home late just before it's delivered, or sometimes taking a breakfast time delivery with them (maybe stuff for the coworkers?). I've never seen or heard anyone complain about them or anyone else that orders. I think its a posturing kinda thing on X.

2 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

These folk require help to get them what they need but anyone suggesting Doordash as the solution is being short-sighted and naive.

FYI, in the U.S., getting help is damn near impossible unless you're paying for it. Social services are terrible and support is overwhelmed anyway, so it's not a horrible idea...just saying.