AFC Wimbledon....

KingfaetheSooth

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm another with a soft spot for the born-again Wombles and was at the Newport County game on August Bank Holiday Monday. From everything I've read and seen, they're clearly a very well-run club with a definitive plan to get back to the Football League, but one that isn't going to bankrupt the club by doing too much far too quickly.

One challenge they will face when they make it back to the League is Kingsmeadow. Now don't get me wrong, it's a tidy wee ground and my club would kill for something like it. However, AFCW are already touching its capacity most weeks, and from what I could see there doesn't seem to be much scope to develop the ground. Indeed, with it being leased, it wouldn't be prudent to spend large amounts on it. Are there still plans for a move back to Merton, or to new premises in the Kingston/Surbiton area?

I'm another with a soft spot for the born-again Wombles and was at the Newport County game on August Bank Holiday Monday. From everything I've read and seen, they're clearly a very well-run club with a definitive plan to get back to the Football League, but one that isn't going to bankrupt the club by doing too much far too quickly.

One challenge they will face when they make it back to the League is Kingsmeadow. Now don't get me wrong, it's a tidy wee ground and my club would kill for something like it. However, AFCW are already touching its capacity most weeks, and from what I could see there doesn't seem to be much scope to develop the ground. Indeed, with it being leased, it wouldn't be prudent to spend large amounts on it. Are there still plans for a move back to Merton, or to new premises in the Kingston/Surbiton area?

Yoss is almost right - we did indeed buy the ground BUT it was bought on a long leasehold basis. (125 years I seem to recall) And of course we share Kingsmeadow with the original owners and moral guardians, Kingstonian FC who play there rent free.

To answer your question, the club needs to move to a bigger stadium in the medium term and ideally back to Wimbledon/SW19 or very close. Things are afoot on this, but being a club run by the supporters via the Dons Trust and without someone prepared to pump in millions, such a move is easier said than done. There will hopefully be an announcement before the end of 2011 though. ;) Like all these things, it's never in the bag until it is and despite a fair bit of political will from Merton Council and local politicians plus a good strategy for enabling development and getting a developer on board - the current economic conditions plus the scarcity of sites in SW19 and it's environs means it's still a tough call.

There are existing plans to develop Kingsmeadow to league standard - the requirements call for another 1000 or so seats, plus things like a police operations room, more tea bars etc. The current strategy is to wait until promotion is secured, as the club would have three years to make the changes and also would also be eligible for bigger grants than could currently be secured. If the new stadium is in the pipeline and promotion is secured sooner than it will be built, the latest idea is to put temporary seating opposite the current main stand while retaining the terracing below.

Thanks for your interst and support - if you're coming down to a Wimbledon game in the future, PM me and I'll buy you a beer.

It's good to see AFC Wimbledon doing well and hopefully a place in the English Football League isn't too far away. How far is Kingsmeadow from the old Plough Lane and the boundaries of Merton Council?

Hi Waspie.

Kingsmeadow is approximately 4 miles away from Wimbledon FC's old Plough Lane Site and roughly 2.5 miles from the Merton border. Kingsmeadow is actually a lot closer to Plough Lane than the likes of Mitcham and Morden which form part of the Merton borough. Wimbledon FC's Plough Lane ground was on the border of Merton and almost in Wandsworth!!

My personal preference is for a return to Wimbledon/SW19 rather than a return to any stadium in the Southern areas of Merton. The property prices are much higher and land much more scarce in SW19 alas. The club has Wimbledon in the name and as a result should try and return "home" if it is at all possible. All these boroughs might disappear at some future local government reorganisation anyway.

AFC Wimbledon have had good support from the Royal borough of Kingston upon Thames who are looking at redeveloping the hogsmill area next to Kingsmeadow - that remains one possibility for the club - and as Kingstonian FC would be involved in the process too - such a project would benefit both clubs hopefully. Such a move cannot be ruled out - but a return to SW19 is the panacea - the problem is the cost and transport links.

if you're coming down to a Wimbledon game in the future, PM me and I'll buy you a beer.

I certainly shall. I normally try and get to see Northwood when I'm down and have a beer with midtable, but will try and get another visit to Kingsmeadow onto any future itinerary as well.

See vinnie jones has donated his fa cup medal to the club in a show of support

Aye indeed. Vinnie was quite anti-AFC Wimbledon when the club started but has changed his views over the last few years and now nailed his flag to the mask by coming out and supporting the club. I guess the fact the club has moved up the leagues and now regularly gets 3500+ crowds helps. His FA Cup winners medal is on display at the club.

After defeating Crawley 2-1 on Thursday, it was back down to earth and a case of 'after the Lord Mayor show' with a meek 2-0 capitulation to Kidderminster Harriers yesterday.

If anyone is interested there was a piece on SKY News about the rise of AFC Wimbledon which is

and the Crawley goals and post-match celebrations are

• 4 weeks later...

Top of the league again - long may it last! :D :D :D

Good luck to your boys. I hope you are able to regain your rightful place in the football league. Can you imagine playing, and defeating, MK Dons? This is what a real fairytale is all about.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a nightmare. None of the Wimbledon fans I know want it to happen.

Edit: and here's a decent piece from WSC the other day explaining why:

http://www.wsc.co.uk...t/view/5886/38/

From a neutral's* perspective, it would be a cracking tie though.

*Although I'm willing to bet most people would come down on the side of AFC.

Archived