AFC Wimbledon....

KingfaetheSooth

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of the Wimbledon fans I know want it to happen.

That's as may be, but as the comments in that piece point out it's only going to get worse. If things go to plan for AFCW this season (hopefully at the expense - heh - of Crawley) there'll only be one division between them and the Franchise. Going on from there it'll be extremely difficult to deny their existence.

A few questions. Did any Wimbledon fans stick with the team as they moved to Milton Keynes? If so, how many and do AFC fans still speak to them etc? And why to AFC Wimbledon continue to highlight the AFC bit of their name? If it was Berwick I would think I would want the 'new club' rising out of the ashes to still be called Berwick Rangers, no AFC Berwick or whatever. Is there a reason they cling onto the AFC bit? Are they not aloud just to call themselves Wimbledon?

A few questions. Did any Wimbledon fans stick with the team as they moved to Milton Keynes? If so, how many and do AFC fans still speak to them etc?

There's one commenting here.

And why to AFC Wimbledon continue to highlight the AFC bit of their name? If it was Berwick I would think I would want the 'new club' rising out of the ashes to still be called Berwick Rangers, no AFC Berwick or whatever. Is there a reason they cling onto the AFC bit? Are they not aloud just to call themselves Wimbledon?

AFCW were formed before Wimbledon F.C. changed their name, which didn't happen until 2004 (and Winkleman had originally promised not to change the name at all). Successor clubs normally make a slight change to the club name anyway, because they're not strictly the same entities.

I think there are legal reasons why they have to use different names, when the previous company has been in administration.

Don't know what the time limit was but it's now lapsed and they are now able to change their name back to Wimbledon FC if they so choose. There's some debate about whether or not they should do so.

That's as may be, but as the comments in that piece point out it's only going to get worse. If things go to plan for AFCW this season (hopefully at the expense - heh - of Crawley) there'll only be one division between them and the Franchise. Going on from there it'll be extremely difficult to deny their existence.

I have come to the view that as we will have to play the franchise at some time, the sooner the better. The first time is going to be hard for many people, but 8 years since AFCW were formed, things have moved on for Wimbledon fans. There are still many (myself included) in the 'never forgive, never forget' camp but I imagine the number of AFCW fans who will boycott the fixture will be relatively small. (I say relatively small it will be in the hundreds and they will be vocal)

A few questions. Did any Wimbledon fans stick with the team as they moved to Milton Keynes? If so, how many and do AFC fans still speak to them etc? And why to AFC Wimbledon continue to highlight the AFC bit of their name? If it was Berwick I would think I would want the 'new club' rising out of the ashes to still be called Berwick Rangers, no AFC Berwick or whatever. Is there a reason they cling onto the AFC bit? Are they not aloud just to call themselves Wimbledon?

There were certainly a few old Wimbledon FC fans who have continued to watch the MK Dons, but their numbers have dwindled. I would imagine that the number of old Wimbledon fans who watch them regularly at home is now well under 100. Quite a few have returned to watch AFC Wimbledon in recent seasons. Indeed a well-known Wimbledon FC fan who continued to watch MK was spotted at an AFC Wimbledon home game only a few weeks ago for the first time - it transpires that she had stopped receiving subsidised train fares for traveling to Milton Keynes (from the MK Chairman Pete Winkelman) and as a result was no longer watching them.

There is still a lot of animosity towards those that went to watch MK Dons - families were split - I know of two brothers who went opposite ways for example. A few have been ostracised and would not be welcome back - but those that have returned have (in the main) been made welcome.

As to the name, Yoss has it pretty much spot-on. When we approached the London FA to start the club in 2002, we tried to get the club to be named FC Wimbledon - this was turned down as being too similar to Wimbledon FC - who still existed at that point. On the spot, it was decided to go for AFC Wimbledon - the other suggestion was Real Wimbledon. :D Some AFCW fans would like to see the name changed back to Wimbledon FC and some see the AFC pre-fix as a badge of honour. One suggestion has been to change the name when we get back into the football league as that will be a significant milestone.

As to this seasons FA Cup match, I'm not commenting until after the two replays! :P

AFC Wimbledon beat Alty 2-0 last night to leapfrog creepy Crawley and go back to the top of the Blue Square Bet Conference. Good times! :)

Alty were the club my dad used to take me to see as a nipper. Not good times for them although they've improved a bit since changing managers. I had been hoping to go to that fixture this year, but couldn't. Might never get the chance now, especially if they're two divisions apart by next season.

Alty were the club my dad used to take me to see as a nipper. Not good times for them although they've improved a bit since changing managers. I had been hoping to go to that fixture this year, but couldn't. Might never get the chance now, especially if they're two divisions apart by next season.

Hi Yoss, yes I remember your Alty connections. Their fans seem like a decent bunch from what I've seen and heard. There were quite a few FCUM fans at the game too including their manager Karl Marginson and General Manager, Andy Walsh.

I'm back in Dumfries this weekend and torn between going to QOS v Cowden or driving back down the M6 for Barrow v AFC Wimbledon. :unsure:

I think there are legal reasons why they have to use different names, when the previous company has been in administration.

Don't know what the time limit was but it's now lapsed and they are now able to change their name back to Wimbledon FC if they so choose. There's some debate about whether or not they should do so.

My mate was a Halifax Town FC fan.....now he supports FC Halifax Town. To be honest, I would be raging if I was a creditor, they could at least make it look a bit like a new club!

Incidently they are also doing well, climbing the leagues and looking good for promotion to Conference North although for obvious reasons they don't get the coverage that AFCW and FCI have gotten.

Merthyr Tydfil were liquidated in the summer and have re-formed as Merthyr Town FC- precisely for those reasons. They're a fan owned Industrial & provident society now too, and play in the Western League First Division (basically only a level or so above amateur...it's a long way back!) They're top of their league currently, as they should be, because most of the players are of Southern League Premier standard.

http://www.merthyrtownfc.co.uk/

They're a fan owned Industrial & provident society now too, and play in the Western League First Division (basically only a level or so above amateur...it's a long way back!)

I read an excellent blog post about FCUM which said that their fans were literally sitting on haybales around the pitch in their inaugural game. Shows what can be accomplished with a proper pyramid.

I read last week that the ref had to remove a couple of pieces of dogshit from the pitch, before the game could begin between a Bristol outfit called Oldland Abbotonians and Merthyr...the attendance was 170, Oldland's biggest of the season by some distance...this weekend they got a massive 31 fans for their next home game.

Like I say, it's a long way back for Merthyr. :lol:

Archived