The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

I heard "A7X - Nightmare" on the radio yesterday and absolutely loved it, any A7X fans on here recommend me more of their stuff? I also heard another song by them on the radio which i liked, it was a slower kind of song but i never managed to catch the name of it.

I heard "A7X - Nightmare" on the radio yesterday and absolutely loved it, any A7X fans on here recommend me more of their stuff? I also heard another song by them on the radio which i liked, it was a slower kind of song but i never managed to catch the name of it.

Chances are that song was "So far away" since that's there latest single.

Ghost and Deconstruction by Devin Townsend now available for pre-order.

Really can't wait to hear them. Ridiculously talented bloke.:)

I never got into SYL despite my best efforts. However I downloaded Addicted this week after hearing Bend it like Bender! and what a brilliant album it is. A real mix of styles and influences that have been combined in a fantastic way. Anneke van Giersbergen voice is just amazing as well.

I never got into SYL despite my best efforts. However I downloaded Addicted this week after hearing Bend it like Bender! and what a brilliant album it is. A real mix of styles and influences that have been combined in a fantastic way. Anneke van Giersbergen voice is just amazing as well.

Indeed. It's fairly heavy but has ridiculously catchy songs. I saw SYL at Donington back in 2006 and despite only knowing the song "Love?" at the time, I was utterly astounded at them and in particular the way Dev had that crowd in the palm of his hand. I've never really been into extreme metal type stuff but SYL were always a bit different and special. Dev's voice is also so much better these days now that he's quit pot and booze.

Indeed. It's fairly heavy but has ridiculously catchy songs. I saw SYL at Donington back in 2006 and despite only knowing the song "Love?" at the time, I was utterly astounded at them and in particular the way Dev had that crowd in the palm of his hand. I've never really been into extreme metal type stuff but SYL were always a bit different and special. Dev's voice is also so much better these days now that he's quit pot and booze.

I sometimes find albums hard to get into when I start listening to, especially if they are by an band/musician I'm not that familiar with but I found the songs on Addicted were making me nod along instantly. I could quite imagine myself recommending this album to people who aren't into metal.

Edited by NorthernLights

I sometimes find albums hard to get into when I start listening to, especially if they are by an band/musician I'm not that familiar with but I found the songs on Addicted were making me nod along instantly. I could quite imagine myself recommending this album to people who aren't into metal.

Did you go to see Devy at the Garage the other month? Had half the crowd onstage at the end for Bend It Like Bender!

Brilliant night with a cracking celebratory atmosphere.

Their earlier stuff is better, the self titled album is my favourite.

I see in the new issue of Metal Hammer they have announced Defenders of the Faith III tour. No bands announced yet but the Glasgow date is at the Academy on the 6th of December.

Cool, I went to defenders of the faith I & II. Hopeful of a good line-up.

The first DOTF was Opeth, Arch Enemy & Devildriver and DOTF II was Lamb of God, Dimmu Borgir, Unearth and 5FDP ?

Or am i getting mixed up with the black crusade or unholy alliance? ahhh there's too many tour names these days haha

Cool, I went to defenders of the faith I & II. Hopeful of a good line-up.

The first DOTF was Opeth, Arch Enemy & Devildriver and DOTF II was Lamb of God, Dimmu Borgir, Unearth and 5FDP ?

Or am i getting mixed up with the black crusade or unholy alliance? ahhh there's too many tour names these days haha

Pretty sure that is right. I only went to the first tour. 3 Inches of Blood were also playing that tour. Wish I had gone to the second one but think I was struggling to afford another trip to Glasgow and was low on holiday days as well. The Black Crusade was the Machine Head tour and Unholy Alliance is the Slayer one.

I have been on a major Symphony X kick recently. I forgot just how incredible this band is.

Everyone should check them out if they have not already done so.

Forgot about symphony x, not listened to them in years, got an album somewhere, going to dig it out right now.

Downloaded Addicted by Devin Townsend Project last night after reading this thread. Some really catchy songs on it and I'm enjoying it very much. Numbered and hyperdrive are my favourites so far.

If you play guitar then you might want to get the latest copy of Total Guitar. Feature on Devy's upcoming releases Deconstruction & Ghost. They're the 3rd and 4th records he's putting out under the DTP moniker. Ghost is a really ambient, trippy type album and Deconstruction is just mental. It will be more suited for folk who loved SYL.

I haven't heard much SYL, will give it a try though. There's just something I really like about Addicted. Anneke's voice is beautiful

Aye her and Dev sound amazing together. SYL is perhaps more "abrasive" than Dev's other material but saying that, I can happily listen to SYL although I don't really like extreme metal stuff as a whole. It's just something about Devin that sets his music apart from other acts in the same genre.

Have you heard the Ziltoid The Omniscient record? It's a concept album about an alien who comes to earth and demands the "ultimate cup of coffee". Quite heavy in parts but loads of great melodies and a funny as feck narrative running through it. Whole thing was programmed & recorded by Dev all by himself.

The Odyssey, The Divine Wings Of Tragedy and Paradise Lost are outstanding albums. They have a new one, 'Iconoclast', out later this month.

I saw them supporting Dream Theater at the Braehead Arena. That's a lot of talented musicians on one stage.

Have never seen them but i have The Divine Wings Of Tragedy in the house somewhere. Have around 3000 albums and i forget about some of the awesome stuff i have and Symphony x is one of them.

Edited by JasonElgin

I've always found Symphony X to be one of the most overrated bands in Prog Metal. Some of their stuff is passable, like the V album but the amount of praise it receives baffles me. There's so many better Prog bands out there imo that are worthy of accolades before Symphony X, Andromeda and Threshold being the most criminally under-rated imo.