The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

I remember reading that they broke the record for the biggest circle pit at Download Festival a few years back. Was in one of the tents aswell, and I think I read that it was that big, it was actually on the outside of the poles holding up the tent, with no-one in the middle! Maybe Dunning can confirm this as I think he was there!

That was their first attempt in '07, I was at their second attempt in '09 on main stage. It was great being in a pit that big.

I'm in work just now so can't get on youtube to post the link, but search for Meet The Wretched at Download 2009 and you'll get the official footage. Fucking huge.

As for this tour, not sure if I'll go. As much as I love Machine Head and as good as they are live they've toured too much lately and I've seen them live more than any other band, with little variation in the setlists. If the new album isn't much special (Locusts isn't that great a track, with the sound it has it could easily be filler on Through The Ashes) then I'll just wait until the next time they're here and buying a Machine Head ticket doesn't mean giving money to Bring Me The Horizon who I absolutely can't stand. There's plenty of gigs around then I'll be spending money on anyway.

Maybe it was 09 they broke the record and I am getting mixed up, but I certainly remember them doing it in a tent. Probably would have been 07 cos I think the arena was still inside the track at Donington then.

I think they did try it in '07 as well, I was at Download that year, infact...... i think i saw DD....breifly mind. They were definately in a tent (probably second stage, really don't think it was third) and aye the arena was still inside the race track.

Ghost/Deconstruction by Devin Townsend arrived in the post today.

Teckle.

I didn't bother with Deconstruction but i did order Ghost.

Fantastic album from what i've heard of it so far.Almost a cross between Sigur Ros and KLF on their Chill out album with some extra acoustic stuff thrown in.

The reviews of both albums have been spot on in saying Ghost is Yin and Deconstruction is Yang.I can't imagine anyone releasing 2 albums so utterly different on the same day.

Ghost is certainly gonna be an opinion splitter in the metal world.

Dev is an absolute radge but a wonderful radge at that.

Ghost has an awesome ambient vibe. Some lovely textures on it. Check out some of the clips of them recording it on Devin's youtube page.

Deconstruction on the other hand is absolutely preposterous. I shudder to think what chaos will ensue when he unleashes it live.

It certainly isn't as immediate as SYL but at the same time he's said that he never intended to try and replicate what he did with Strapping as he's not in that mindset anymore. I think it will take a will for Decon to be digested.

Z2 is the next project I believe. The first one was mental so I expect the follow up to take it to a new level.

Devastated. Beez is off to Rock Sound(another mag I presume), I don't think they'll be doing anymore Pods either.

It is literally the place I get all my metal news from since I don't buy the mag nor do I read news websites pertaining to metal. I'm fucked.

Anyone been listening to the new In Flames album? There's some belting tracks on it, I have Darker Times on right now blaring away on the stereo and it's rare :D

It's a good album, I think it's more well-rounded than previous efforts lately.

I got it for my birthday yesterday, along with the new one from Amorphis. I haven't had a chance to listen to it as I've been busy with BBQs this weekend but I will probably spend most of next week at work listening to both albums.

There's a snipper of a new Megadeth song online. Unfortunately its in the background of a very annoying/crap game. Its called Never Dead.

I hope this next album is better than Endgame. Endgame was decent don't get me wrong but a few of the songs went limp very quickly for me.

Link for megadeth video. You can't hear it great but gives you an idea. http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=4uwn5lbKaIc

Edited by 11thHour

I got it for my birthday yesterday, along with the new one from Amorphis. I haven't had a chance to listen to it as I've been busy with BBQs this weekend but I will probably spend most of next week at work listening to both albums.

I like the new Amorphis, but it falls into the "too much music!!" trap, where you are fed up by three quarters through.

Got the new Morbid Angel the other day, nobody has mentioned them in 31 pages as far as I can see and that's blasphemy!! The new one is, err, different. Touches of KMFDM in there, which is really bizarre. Tim Yeung is a more than able deputy for Commando, but they will never top Blessed Are The Sick.

I think I was standing about 3 or 4 people to your right at the last Amorphis gig in Glasgow, Mr Lights, judging by your vids.

Currently making my way through the new Terrorizer special on the history of Thrash, and the bands that really jump out of that (big 3 plus hangers on aside) are Sabbat and Acid Reign. Both immensely talented and criminally overlooked. I think I will head off and try to locate the AR rereleases which were mooted recently...

Makes you feel old though, thinking that was 20 years ago since Obnoxious. By the way, singer 'H' now makes a living as a comedian, as professional Yorkshireman, Keith Platt.

I like the new Amorphis, but it falls into the "too much music!!" trap, where you are fed up by three quarters through.

Got the new Morbid Angel the other day, nobody has mentioned them in 31 pages as far as I can see and that's blasphemy!! The new one is, err, different. Touches of KMFDM in there, which is really bizarre. Tim Yeung is a more than able deputy for Commando, but they will never top Blessed Are The Sick.

Would agree re the new Amorphis, it starts off well but becomes increasingly dull as the album wears on. It needs a haircut. Morbid Angel's latest offering on the other hand is a pile of rancid shit. Wtf happened to this band!

Rammstein reveal 2012 dates

February 24, 2012 – O2 Arena, London

February 25, 2012 – LG Arena, Birmingham

February 27, 2012 – O2, Dublin

February 29, 2012 – Metro Arena, Newcastle

March 1, 2012 – MEN Arena, Manchester

March 2, 2012 – Capital FM Arena, Nottingham

Not surprised there is no Glasgow date but still disappointed. Looks like its a trip to Newcastle for me then.

Getting fed up of bands announcing these "UK" tours when all the dates are in the England. However im still expecting a Glasgow date for Rammstein. Heard a few bad things about trying to book the SECC for a tour and there is enough of a date break for them to announce it. Heres hoping :D

Machine Head are touring South America with Sepultura. That would be so much better than with BMTH!

Innacurate. If Sepultura were on the bill they would be taking Devildrivers spot as they are on about the same level, in the UK at the least

BMTH stock are on the up, they have been huge this year and their reception at download does nothing but prove that. The new album has allowed alot more of the traditional metalheads to enjoy, and as BMTH have said before if they didnt look like they do and looked alot more like pantera or the likes the metal media and fans would accept them alot more than they do.

The only problem with BMTH being on the bill means that this will be in the SECC instead of the likes of the Academy like other machine head dates.

Oh and just for the record Machine Head and BMTH are two of my very favourite bands so im well happy about this :D :D

Edited by Zizou-5