The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

3 hours ago, Al B said:

My favourite album is Addicted, but I must admit I listen to the album's live "By A Thread" show, more than the studio album.

He's so diverse though, the Ki album, or his Casualties of Cool work are both beautiful and different from the heavy stuff.

As far as live stuff goes, there's a video on Youtube of him at the Tuska Open Air Metal Festival 2010 that's just unreal, and then there's The Retinal Circus which is basically a 2-and-a-half hour greatest hits which are all set within a loose narrative with actors on stage etc to make it a massive Lloyd-Webber-esque musical. Utterly unreal.

His albums are essentially recorded by himself in his house doing the drums on EZ Drummer and the rest of the instruments himself, and i'd massively recommend sitting through the following video where he was challenged to write and record a whole song in 2hrs, and live-stream it. It's absolutely fascinating to see not only his songwriting mind at work, but how simple his process is when you bear in mind bands/artists who take years and millions to do each album. It's long....but extremely rewarding, and also hilarious at points.

That was fucking brilliant to watch!

Devin Townsend :wub:

Pity he's not playing in Aberdeen again although the last time I saw him in Glasgow he had Fear Factory supporting so more support like this would be good.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, K.T said:

Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed and In Flames at the Hydro in Jan 2017. Anyone know how much tickets will be for that? Could be my wife's Xmas present!

f**k sake.  I really like In Flames but no way would I want to see the other two bands on that bill.  Hopefully they come back and do their own headlining show.  Would also be good if the new album isn't a total bag of crap like the last one was.

Will be in attendance for this.

Always wanted to see A7X - Nightmare is a top, top album.

Love Disturbed - they were fantastic at Download this year and have been any time i've seen them.

In Flames - they're alright, not a big fan though.

I don't mind A7X. Never really been into Disturbed though. I've seen In Flames a few times but not since 2006 and I've heard they've culled a lot of the classics, which is a shame. But I'd still like to see them again.

Disturbed are a band who I'm not keen on at all, and even after seeing them live, I've not been able to get into them which is a shame as they were actually brilliant at Download this year. If there was a better band at the top of that bill, I'd be all over it.

Seen both Disturbed and A7X a few years back (and Disturbed at Download again this year). I don’t think I’ll bother with this gig as I don’t listen to either much anymore though, I may change my mind closer to the time.

Still with this gig, and the Alter Bridge/Volbeat tour, it’s nice to see some decent bands playing together. The states constantly has good bands touring together while we usually have to put up with a main band with some god awful support acts.

Seen A7x twice, once supporting Maiden and once at SECC. Cracking band live, Disturbed not seen since 2009ish and they were awesome too. 

Really want to go to this but my normal gig attending mate isn't for goin so will need to persuade one of the lesser metal heads.

Kvelertak are playing the O2 ABC2 on the 4th of December. 

https://academymusicgroup.com/o2abcglasgow/events/862346/kvelertak-tickets

Been listening to the new album again today and its OK.  I can listen to it all the way through but it just lacks the same amount of memorable songs and moments that the last two had. 

Also got a ticket to see Black Peaks.  They supported Deftones at Wembley Arena but I missed them as me and my friend were too busy getting pissed before the gig.  However they are playing Drummonds in Aberdeen in September with Heck and that only holds maybe 300ish people.