May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last few days, and everyone I know that has already voted so far, has voted Labour. :(

Is your constituency Stirling? The SNP won that last time out, didn't they? It's an interesting constitutency, could potentially go three ways. If the Lib Dem vote collapses as predicted, the result could depend on who bags more of their voters, the Nats or Labour. I think that the SNP are probably better placed on that.

Salmond was once again was the strongest out of all the leaders last night, loved his comments on the Independence issue, it should be up to the Scottish people to decide whether or not we want this through a referendum and not up to the leaders of the other parties to just block out the issue just because their counterparts at Westminister are firmly against the whole issue.

Annabel Goldie is a complete fool acting like the mediator between the other parties and coming out with ridiculous comments like im against free perscriptions, way to win votes Goldie!

:lol:

yeah. that and see you students. you're all going to pay. brilliant for her wealthy tory base, but hardly a vote winner.

Salmond was once again was the strongest out of all the leaders last night, loved his comments on the Independence issue, it should be up to the Scottish people to decide whether or not we want this through a referendum and not up to the leaders of the other parties to just block out the issue just because their counterparts at Westminister are firmly against the whole issue.

Annabel Goldie is a complete fool acting like the mediator between the other parties and coming out with ridiculous comments like im against free perscriptions, way to win votes Goldie!

I thought he was acting a bit slippery actually. And I only watched it to see how bad Grey could be in things like this but to be honest he wasn't any better or worse than the rest of them.

As for the independence drivel. Even Salmond couldn't give a f**k about it now. He is quite happy to play big poppa pump in the diddy parliament and walk away with his nice UK pension when he retires.

I thought he was acting a bit slippery actually. And I only watched it to see how bad Grey could be in things like this but to be honest he wasn't any better or worse than the rest of them.

As for the independence drivel. Even Salmond couldn't give a f**k about it now. He is quite happy to play big poppa pump in the diddy parliament and walk away with his nice UK pension when he retires.

Well you would. Its amazing just how your election posts seem to mirror Labour's campaign exactly. Typical Leftie Unionist whinger! :lol:

Is your constituency Stirling? The SNP won that last time out, didn't they? It's an interesting constitutency, could potentially go three ways. If the Lib Dem vote collapses as predicted, the result could depend on who bags more of their voters, the Nats or Labour. I think that the SNP are probably better placed on that.

There's an interesting blog article in betternation about second place parties, and who is likely to gain...

http://www.betternation.org/2011/05/not-so-sloppy-seconds-could-boost-snp-further/

Upshot is that the SNP are the second party in many more constituencies than anywhere else. Stirling itself is interesting, just as you say, because in Westminster, its solid Labour, yet the SNP won in 2007 in a massive upset. Stirling was one of the seats that made people sit up and notice on election night. If Labour win it, they'll end up running the country. Around town, its all SNP stuff, I'm struggling to recall any Labour banners at all, and out in the Ochils, the wee villages and towns all seem decked out in SNP stuff about re-electing Keith Brown. Labour don't seem to be putting the resources in to these constituencies, which is surprising.

This might be a stupid questions, but does anyone think that the killing of Bin Laden might influence the way people vote? In theory it could increase Labour's vote as some may see it as vindication of the 'war on terror' which has obviously had more than a few objectors.

This might be a stupid questions, but does anyone think that the killing of Bin Laden might influence the way people vote? In theory it could increase Labour's vote as some may see it as vindication of the 'war on terror' which has obviously had more than a few objectors.

Nah.

Nah, I don't think that will be a consideration.

There's more to electioneering than banners and signs. Targeted campaigning is more effective in terms of getting the vote out and making sure any potential swing voters are the ones who get your leaflets. NO point in dishing out hundreds of leaflets to those who aren't going to vote for you.

Having said that the Labour Party are nowhere near the status they used to be in terms of winning votes.

Iain Gray killed Bin Laden.

There are boundary changes in Clacks & Stirling - supposed to benefit the SNP in Clacks & Labour in Stirling. Keith Brown is home n hosed in Clacks - and I cant see the SNP losing Stirling.

On the debate, I thought Annabelle was the only one not joining in the freebie auction war. For that she deserves credit.

Interesting comment on UK Polling Report about the potential for 'gaming' the electoral system, which appears to be a natural evolution in party strategy. This is owing the Tories apparently campaigning solely for a list vote in Cunninghame North as they have hee-haw chance in the seat itself. However, with the formation of a 'false flag' party (say for example, Scottish Nationalist Voice or Cold Dead Unionists) then you can avoid the factoring of your party's constituency seats in the list vote, so if you effectively nudge wink and push enough of your vote in constituency seats to them, you can gain MSPs for your 'big party' much more efficiently.

A less Machiavellian and more practical approach is simple voting alliances with a smaller party. The Greens are ideal for the SNP on the constitution, but will obviously seek to preserve their own voice. All those small parties on the 2nd Vote could play a much more meaningful tactical role in the near future.

Well you would. Its amazing just how your election posts seem to mirror Labour's campaign exactly. Typical Leftie Unionist whinger! :lol:

I haven't been following the campaign as it's about exciting as a loacal election capaign, but all I did was comment on the fact that Salmond avoided answering the question in the independence thingy. If that isn't slippery then I don't know what is. Let's face it, the SNP exist for one reason and one reason alone. They should get on with it and stop pretending they are the Labour party to curry favour with the morons up here. Deliver your referendum and then get to f**k please.

I haven't been following the campaign as it's about exciting as a loacal election capaign, but all I did was comment on the fact that Salmond avoided answering the question in the independence thingy. If that isn't slippery then I don't know what is. Let's face it, the SNP exist for one reason and one reason alone. They should get on with it and stop pretending they are the Labour party to curry favour with the morons up here. Deliver your referendum and then get to f**k please.

Course ya haven't. :: wink ::

And how did he avoid answering the question? He hopes to deliver a referendum in the second half of the Parliament and the question was released months ago. How slippery! No, its remarkable just how Labour Lite you are, maybe thats why you haven't been following the campaign, too busy being out knocking on doors and campaigning for Labour?

Course ya haven't. :: wink ::

And how did he avoid answering the question? He hopes to deliver a referendum in the second half of the Parliament and the question was released months ago. How slippery! No, its remarkable just how Labour Lite you are, maybe thats why you haven't been following the campaign, too busy being out knocking on doors and campaigning for Labour?

I think your Labour related paranoia has fried your mind and tipped you over the edge. It's about the fifth or sixth time you've accused me of being a Labour activist? :blink: Anyway...

I don't see why Salmond can't offer a proper timetable of events. Why be so fucking vague about the only thing that the SNP exist for? Sometime in the next five years? f**k off! :lol: I think they are getting to the stage where feathering their own political nest has become more important than what their party was set up for in the first place. They didn't even bring forward the referendum legislation in the last parliament. Even if it had been brought down the sybolism would have been strong enough to show they meant business. I guess they know what side their bread is buttered on.dry.gif

I better get out and leaflet for Labout I suppose. Only a few hundred more and I hit the bronze award of a chance to fight a cooncil seat. An extra few hundred and a hand job for the local union rep and I get a chance to stand for the diddy parliament! Yayy.

I think your Labour related paranoia has fried your mind and tipped you over the edge. It's about the fifth or sixth time you've accused me of being a Labour activist? :blink: Anyway...

I don't see why Salmond can't offer a proper timetable of events. Why be so fucking vague about the only thing that the SNP exist for? Sometime in the next five years? f**k off! :lol: I think they are getting to the stage where feathering their own political nest has become more important than what their party was set up for in the first place. They didn't even bring forward the referendum legislation in the last parliament. Even if it had been brought down the sybolism would have been strong enough to show they meant business. I guess they know what side their bread is buttered on.dry.gif

I better get out and leaflet for Labout I suppose. Only a few hundred more and I hit the bronze award of a chance to fight a cooncil seat. An extra few hundred and a hand job for the local union rep and I get a chance to stand for the diddy parliament! Yayy.

Because life doesn't work quite like that. They tried that last time, but your precious Unionist bloc voted them down no matter what they tried. You want to blame someone for not getting a referendum schedule, blame the Unionists. They produced a referendum bill in draft, they produced their preferred question, and now its just a case of getting the final bill through. Thats the fault of your Unionists, not the SNP. How is Salmond's retirement plan going? :lol:

Because life doesn't work quite like that. They tried that last time, but your precious Unionist bloc voted them down no matter what they tried. You want to blame someone for not getting a referendum schedule, blame the Unionists. They produced a referendum bill in draft, they produced their preferred question, and now its just a case of getting the final bill through. Thats the fault of your Unionists, not the SNP. How is Salmond's retirement plan going? :lol:

They didn't try putting the thing before the parliament did they? As I said, the symbolism of actually doing that would have been quite good. Of course it would be booted out as nobody but the SNP wants it. And that's great of course as nobody else wants it either.

I fail to see why Salmond can't categorically state that he will bring it before the parliament on day one. There's absolutely f**k all reason why he shouldn't.

He is enjoying getting rich off the back of the British taxpayer. dry.gif

As for his retirement plan, I think he seems to be padding it out for as long as he can by not bringing a referendum vote to us poor b*****ds that have to pay for his pension scheme.

They didn't try putting the thing before the parliament did they? As I said, the symbolism of actually doing that would have been quite good. Of course it would be booted out as nobody but the SNP wants it. And that's great of course as nobody else wants it either.

I fail to see why Salmond can't categorically state that he will bring it before the parliament on day one. There's absolutely f**k all reason why he shouldn't.

He is enjoying getting rich off the back of the British taxpayer. dry.gif

As for his retirement plan, I think he seems to be padding it out for as long as he can by not bringing a referendum vote to us poor b*****ds that have to pay for his pension scheme.

:lol:

Whinge whinge whinge. As Salmond said when he was asked the same thing, by a Labour MSP last year, if he'd got Unionist support then he would have had the bill before Parliament the very next day. But in case you hadn't noticed, your precious Unionists have already got a devolution bill in progress. They don't believe in letting you have a say, they just force it through. Salmond has said his bill won't clash with that. Its common sense. Problem? You'd moan if he brought a bill, and you're moaning because he isn't. You're just a whinging Unionist leftie!

Do you really think so?

As is always the case in politics it's a question of priorities and how you target your revenues. The impact of those free prescriptions, according to a Scottish Parliament report from 2005, is that it loses Scotland a tax revenue worth £32.2m based on the prescription charge levy in 2002-3. The report then goes on to say that a report done by the Welsh Assembly found that when you removed prescription charges the demand for prescriptions increased by some 30%.

Now what else could you get for that £32.2m per annum? Well how about 1038 more teachers? or 1,300 more NHS nurses? 82 more 3G football pitches throughout Scotland? It's the equivalent of building 1.5 new revenue raising Ravenscraig Sports Facilities every single year complete with an indoor football pitch, running track, and many, many other quality sports facilities that would improve the health of the nation.

What is the benefit of those free prescriptions - well the SNP's own website claims that someone who needs a regular prescription would have saved around £180 over the four years since the SNP took power in 2007.

Was that REALLY a sensible use of resources given that the poor in Scotland ALREADY got free prescriptions and that the benefactors of this scheme meant that the likes of Brian Soutar, Tom Farmer, Sir Freddy Goodwin, Alex Salmond and Margo McDonald were all now going to be able to get free paracetamol from their GP.

If you do the same excersize for the other SNP "successes" you can see just how futile what they are doing really is. Scrapping toll bridge levies cost Scotland £14.8m immediately in a payment to the Tay Bridge Board so it could pay off existing debts that would no longer be serviced by toll charges, and the net effect according to a vehicle monitoring report is that congestion caused by the increase in traffic using those now free roads has added 30 minutes per day on to travel times.

Surely Scotland had far bigger priorities. Surely Alex Salmond and the SNP could have made a real difference instead of pissing away our revenue providing futile and worthless benefits in a bid to buy votes.

Archived