The Falkirk FC Thread

8 hours ago, MrDust said:

The top league is a joke nowadays, I'm not one for crowd Wanking as I don't think it matters to me but there was a time when the top Scottish league was as strong as the EPL or thereabouts....nowadays it mirrors the Irish leagues and crowds that match.

The kind of shite peddled by the Tam Cowan da types. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

St. Mirren fans have barely got their feet under the table, they've played 3 league games and you're calling their buy out a failure? :lol:

Well St Mirren are utter shite. Possibly the only club in the division (apart from Dumbarton and Ayr obviously) that we're certain to finish above. 

But I haven't called their buyout a 'failure'. Its not a model that will work for an early exit from this division though. You need a bit of money and ambition for that. Falkirk's board have the former but not the latter. Fans owned clubs have the latter but not the former.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

St. Mirren fans have barely got their feet under the table, they've played 3 league games and you're calling their buy out a failure?

Just now, ScotSquid said:

Well St Mirren are utter shite. Possibly the only club in the division (apart from Dumbarton and Ayr obviously) that we're certain to finish above. 

But I haven't called their buyout a 'failure'. Its not a model that will work for an early exit from this division though. You need a bit of money and ambition for that. Falkirk's board have the former but not the latter. Fans owned clubs have the latter but not the former.

You said a fan buyout wouldn't work and then cited St Mirren as an example of why. Fan ownership helped Hearts make an early exit from this division.

I'm not saying it's the route Falkirk need to take, but your justification for saying a fan buyout wouldn't work is nonsensical.

I think I'd like to see what the long term results are like for the fan buy out model before I'd go down that route. Will be interesting to see how long some fans are prepared to keep paying their monthly DD's , buy season tickets etc if they dont see great results on the pitch. Only time will tell.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You said a fan buyout wouldn't work and then cited St Mirren as an example of why. Fan ownership helped Hearts make an early exit from this division.

I'm not saying it's the route Falkirk need to take, but your justification for saying a fan buyout wouldn't work is nonsensical.

Wrong again. I said a fans buyout isn't the answer. Its not. 

And Hearts? :lol: How much money did Ann Budge invest in Hearts??

Just now, ScotSquid said:

Wrong again. I said a fans buyout isn't the answer. Its not. 

And Hearts? :lol: How much money did Ann Budge invest in Hearts??

You said "Fan buyout isn't the answer. Look at St Mirren". That insinuates that St Mirren's buyout proves it's not the right way for Falkirk to go in your opinion.

The Hearts and St Mirren fan buyouts are virtually the same. If you're calling St Mirren fan owned then so are Hearts.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You said "Fan buyout isn't the answer. Look at St Mirren". That insinuates that St Mirren's buyout proves it's not the right way for Falkirk to go in your opinion.

The Hearts and St Mirren fan buyouts are virtually the same. If you're calling St Mirren fan owned then so are Hearts.

That's right. I don't believe fan ownership is the answer unless its in conjunction with an Ann Budge type who can provide finance.

The St Mirren situation is not the same unless someone can tell me Gordon Scott is happy to underwrite the losses building a Championship winning squad will entail.

Hearts made a loss of almost £700K in winning the Championship. That was only possible due to Budge in addition to their foundation. 

3 minutes ago, ScotSquid said:

That's right. I don't believe fan ownership is the answer unless its in conjunction with an Ann Budge type who can provide finance.

The St Mirren situation is not the same unless someone can tell me Gordon Scott is happy to underwrite the losses building a Championship winning squad will entail.

Hearts made a loss of almost £700K in winning the Championship. That was only possible due to Budge in addition to their foundation. 

That's cool.  It wasn't what you said though.

Its an unpopular truth that you don't win this league without making a loss. You have to speculate to accumulate. That's what Falkirk did last time under Hughes and made the money back in a year. The downside is of course if you fail.

We won't win the league under the current model. Perhaps the hope is that Hibs and DU go up and Hamilton and Killie or Partick come down leaving next season as the one where our playing budget goes to a level above. I doubt it though. 

Thats what ambition is. Its having people in a boardroom willing to underwrite losses to gain promotion. Until we do we stay here imo.

14 hours ago, MrDust said:

The top league is a joke nowadays, I'm not one for crowd Wanking as I don't think it matters to me but there was a time when the top Scottish league was as strong as the EPL or thereabouts....nowadays it mirrors the Irish leagues and crowds that match.

Cork City are the best supported club in Ireland and their average attendance last season was less than Falkirk's. Most League of Ireland top flight clubs get crowds that compare with the bottom end of our Championship and League One.

This will be an unpopular opinion I'm sure but (without knowing any figures) I'd say the board has given Houston a more than competitive budget this year, increased on last season as well.

I agree that we could do with a couple more players, not because of a lack of investment but because the budget has been spent on the wrong type of player.

Hard to say where to start, its got to be the manager as much as I like him, if its true that vaulks indicated early on that he wouldn't be staying in Scotland then that cash had to be earmarked for a replacement, once again it feels like dejavu, this time last year after we finally stopped laughing at rangers it clicked that the board had planed to simply wait out until there were no more big teams in this decision before spending any cash. Its not entirely wrong but as we've seen its happened again, we surprised everyone including ourselves by coming 2nd and getting to the final, now that we lost we've got another season in a strong championship, we can't just sit and wait to have this league all to ourselves, theres no guarantee hibs and/or Dundee united will get promoted , what if neither do and St Mirren go up and we end Dundee or motherwell or another medium sized team? Could be a long few seasons ahead until we get back to the days of ourselves Patrick and Ross county at the top of the championship.

On the whole tho I was lookin forward to this season cause if nothing else we should get to see plenty of good games and nape bigots this year, but if were going to play absolute pish it could be a long long season ahead

No but we should be building on last seasons success instead of being lucky to scrape into a playoff spot. Having  a pop at the playoffs and then selling your best players and replacing them with diddies isnt going to get us promoted any time soon. Its pretty obvious that there is no serious plan to get us up and that the bod are quite happy for us to toddle along in the 2nd tier with the odd playoff match flung in to keep people interested. We were a settled top flight side not that long ago till the bod made an utter hash of it and they are now making an utter mess of getting us back up.

Yup, that's about the size of it.
Last year, let's not spend Rangers are in the league, this year, let's not spend Hibs are huge favorites. Next year, what other excuse?

Last season was beyond everyone's expectation at FFC. If our BOD lack vision and understanding, we will never spend any money.
Are the club really trying to complete the stadium? My view on this is the stadium we have is already too big for our dwindling support and believe me it is. Considering the hype the team created last season, I think it's a sad reflection on our club that the BOD don't share many of the fans/managers views in terms of top flight football.
I've said many times on here. As a club we are at ease in this league, happy to get to the play offs each year with no real aim to actually show we mean business... Maybe the club don't actual trust the manager with the necessary funds that would allow us to appear to challenge?

We need a major shake up right through the whole club, the supporters have been taken for mugs far too long. If the club are not going to invest in the team, what is the real purpose of survival? There is a huge difference between having no money to spend, than having plenty of money and choosing not to.

We are constantly rummaging in the bargain basements for players, our signings have be underwhelming, low profile and predictable. We seem unable to attract players of any notable quality yet the club expect us to fund this mediocre sham. It's time to stop all this pussyfooting about with community this community that, trucks at the corner flags, hot tubs etc etc. We are beginning to become a bit of a laughing stock, even the BBC are having a chuckle, that shows how bad this has got.

The ability to get the right type of athletic players who have a strong physical attribute looks to me has home as we continue to buy small similar type players.

Just imagine we did get to the play off final again this year, unlikely I feel tbh... How are we placed to compete after our Rugby Park demise last time?

That tells me everything about this club, we were scudded that day's.. men against boys and a hopeless seconds left looking dejected and embarrassed. I'm afraid to say I have seen nothing to suggest that the club are serious about their top flight talk... It's all talk, just bluster

Words are cheap!!!

Sorry, this post ended up a rant.

1 hour ago, Gibby82 said:

Cork City are the best supported club in Ireland and their average attendance last season was less than Falkirk's. Most League of Ireland top flight clubs get crowds that compare with the bottom end of our Championship and League One.

I was comparing the standard of play, I watched sportscene last week and I was embarrassed.

One look at the Scotland team team released today, says it all.... the worst Scotland squad I've ever seen

I was comparing the standard of play, I watched sportscene last week and I was embarrassed.

One look at the Scotland team team released today, says it all.... the worst Scotland squad I've ever seen

I was saying the very same thing to a work colleague today Scottish football is desperate