The Falkirk FC Thread

Have been thinking recently: is there any way that we could convert the South Stand to safe standing?

Obviously, we would have to check if it was technically possible and get approval from Police Scotland but I reckon it would have a lot of benefits.

I've been to the odd game at Thistle with pals in the North Stand, where standing is allowed, and the atmosphere is decent even when the crowd is quite small. We already have people standing in our South Stand and Im sure most people who sit regularly in the Stand would support it. There are more than enough empty seats in the Main Stand for people that don't want to stand.

It costs about £100/seat to finance rail seating, and we could finance this by offering increased price season tickets for the South Stand for a few seasons. (Say £25 extra for 4 years).

For me, our terrible atmosphere is genuinely holding us back as a club and we need to do something to sort it out.

3 minutes ago, Since1876 said:

Have been thinking recently: is there any way that we could convert the South Stand to safe standing?

Obviously, we would have to check if it was technically possible and get approval from Police Scotland but I reckon it would have a lot of benefits.

I've been to the odd game at Thistle with pals in the North Stand, where standing is allowed, and the atmosphere is decent even when the crowd is quite small. We already have people standing in our South Stand and Im sure most people who sit regularly in the Stand would support it. There are more than enough empty seats in the Main Stand for people that don't want to stand.

It costs about £100/seat to finance rail seating, and we could finance this by offering increased price season tickets for the South Stand for a few seasons. (Say £25 extra for 4 years).

For me, our terrible atmosphere is genuinely holding us back as a club and we need to do something to sort it out.

Why not just allow people to stand up in their seats. They don't bother enforcing it in the away end when hibs or the H*ns  visit anyway. That would save a fortune.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Why not just allow people to stand up in their seats. They don't bother enforcing it in the away end when hibs or the H*ns  visit anyway. That would save a fortune.

I would agree with that, but it is a fairly steep stand so it is a bit risky. The "blind eye" policy at Thistle is probably allowed because it's not that steep. 

9 minutes ago, Since1876 said:

I would agree with that, but it is a fairly steep stand so it is a bit risky. The "blind eye" policy at Thistle is probably allowed because it's not that steep. 

It's not much steeper than any other stand including our main one. Are you telling me that when madness come or when Elton or rod were playing people I  the seated areas weren't allowed to stand up?  At any concert I've been at at a football stadium people are allowed to stand, dance and jump up and down usually pished for anything up to 2 hrs and yet it's for some reason seen as a total no no and major safety issue when it's fitba. Complete bollocks if you ask me. There's no reason why you couldn't designate an area of the South stand where people who want to stand can do so.

I don't think the stand behind the goal at Firhill is much steeper than the South Stand tbh

I think most see it as perfectly safe to stand in a seated stand. Otherwise we wouldn't be allowed to celebrate goals. Or stand up at half time. Happens in every away end in England every week and I don't think they have ever had a problem.

It maybe becomes a little unsafe when you have more than one person to a 'seat' and people standing in the stairways like we have for big games in the South Stand though. 

falkirk-queen-of-the-south14.jpg

I'd personally like to either see a section of rail seating installed in the South Stand, or the south end of the new East Stand. That would actually encourage safely standing and having a whole section rather than 6 rows up the back would improve the atmosphere as well.

Out of interest does anyone know how much it cost Celtic to install theirs (though that was for around 3,000 iirc)? We'd probably only ever need 1/10 of that 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

10 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I don't think the stand behind the goal at Firhill is much steeper than the South Stand tbh

I think most see it as perfectly safe to stand in a seated stand. Otherwise we wouldn't be allowed to celebrate goals. Or stand up at half time. Happens in every away end in England every week and I don't think they have ever had a problem.

It maybe becomes a little unsafe when you have more than one person to a 'seat' and people standing in the stairways like we have for big games in the South Stand though. 

falkirk-queen-of-the-south14.jpg

I'd personally like to either see a section of rail seating installed in the South Stand, or the south end of the new East Stand. That would actually encourage safely standing and having a whole section rather than 6 rows up the back would improve the atmosphere as well.

Out of interest does anyone know how much it cost Celtic to install theirs? (though that was for around 3,000 iirc) 

I'd rather we spent the cash on some decent players. I frankly can't see the advantage of paying for something that we don't need. If there's more than one person to a seat and people standing then that needs sorted out surely.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Since1876 said:

Weren't thistle the club who introduced a singing section of the ground at one point ?

Safe standing is for the clubs that have serious £s to spend as it costs more than seats. Im not convinced standing increases atmosphere, many o us stalwarts of Brockville have a romantic view on the old terraces some memories of 20-30+ year ago but I think age and comfort has many of the teary eyed memories swapped for a comfy seat.

The noise levels and atmosphere during the play offs and some of the bigger games at the TFS is pretty much similar now or indeed better than Brockville, the main difference for me is the need to plan to get to the TFS, whereas Brockville you just fell into and fell out with everything on your doorstep.

For me standing isnt as much of a joy as it was years ago, sitting in the sun, having beer delivered to you at your seat, not so much the hot snacks creates more atmosphere as I've done abroad or just beer available, which happens down south.

Did you do arithmetic at school?

1900 x 100 = 190,000
25 x 3500 x 4 = 350,000

Will the seat have padded cushions when we play in the Champions League.

Anyway we should all be prepared for the ST increase about to hit.

9 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

1900 x 100 = 190,000
25 x 3500 x 4 = 350,000

Sorry, but I think his calculations were correct, no?

1900 x 100 = 190,000

25 x 1900 x 4 = 190,000.

He did say increase the price of season tickets in the South Stand, not increase the price of all season tickets. Unless I'm getting it all wrong too?

By the way, how many season tickets have been sold for the South Stand?

1900 x 100 = 190,000
25 x 3500 x 4 = 350,000

If your going to a sanctimonious p***k at least use a calculator

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Sorry, but I think his calculations were correct, no?

1900 x 100 = 190,000

25 x 1900 x 4 = 190,000.

He did say increase the price of season tickets in the South Stand, not increase the price of all season tickets. Unless I'm getting it all wrong too?

By the way, how many season tickets have been sold for the South Stand?

We dont have 1900 SS ST's, 3500 approx ST's overall

My guess about 1300-1400?

Edited by Back Post Misses

21 minutes ago, hope street said:

If your going to a sanctimonious p***k at least use a calculator

Pipe down FFS

25 x 3500 x 4 = 350,000 even on my calculator

Utterly stupid idea when we on rent the fucking thing anyway. Our 75k/year for it does not even pay the thing off - rent only

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

We dont have 1900 SS ST's, 3500 approx ST's overall

Sorry, but you are still missing the point. At no time did he say that all season ticket holders should pay the increased fee, only those who are season ticket holders in the South Stand.

Sorry, but you are still missing the point. At no time did he say that all season ticket holders should pay the increased fee, only those who are season ticket holders in the South Stand.

So his numbers are still wrong then

He is 50k short as we don't have 1900 ST holders in the SS.

As I said it is not a good idea imo

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

So his numbers are still wrong then

He is 50k short as we don't have 1900 ST holders in the SS.

As I said it is not a good idea imo

Fair enough, but your numbers are incorrect too. No shame in admitting when you are wrong.

Fair enough, but your numbers are incorrect too. No shame in admitting when you are wrong.

If you think you can put a levy on SS ST holders that a MS ST holder or PATG punter get the benefit of too it is an even dafter idea. My calculations are correct based on the numbers I posted.

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

If you think you can put a levy on SS ST holders that a MS ST holder or PATG punter get the benefit of too it is an even dafter idea. My calculations are correct based on the numbers I posted.

He was only making a suggestion, and again, at no time did he mention putting the levy on all season ticket holders, only those in the South Stand, what is so difficult about that that you can't grasp it? I have a dental appointment in just over an hour and I'll tell you what, I'm looking forward to that more than I am to conversing with you again.

He was only making a suggestion, and again, at no time did he mention putting the levy on all season ticket holders, only those in the South Stand, what is so difficult about that that you can't grasp it? I have a dental appointment in just over an hour and I'll tell you what, I'm looking forward to that more than I am to conversing with you again.

And I am saying it is not fair to put a levy on SS ST holders.

Enjoy the drill

22 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

He's not missing the point though.

Whilst he may have been a bit brusque in his original reply, he's pointing out that the plan wouldn't work based on the proposed idea.

And what about season ticket holders in the ss who don't want to stand? Do they have to pay too. The whole idea is utterly ludicrous. Terracing in the past was always the cheaper option and now we're going to charge people more to stand up.Whilst I loved the old days at Brockville that's in the past and adding safe standing ain't going to bring it back.