The Falkirk FC Thread

25 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I agree Skyline. I fail to understand what the difference is between safe standing and standing in your seat at the football currently apart from the fact that the safe standing costs a fortune and gives you something to lean on. They'd be as well just setting out areas in the current stands where you can stand up if you want. It happens at most grounds anyway especially down south where even Liverpool fans refuse to sit down for 90mins even after what happened at Hillsboro which I've got to say surprised me  a bit.

The difference of course is that safe standing has an individual wee barrier to lean on and stop people toppling forward. It is safer than standing in front of a seat. It's closer to sitting in a seat though than it is to classic open terracing in terms of match accommodation as far as I can see, and if you are going to do that then for me you may as well have a seat. In "safe standing" you aren't going to get massive melees when a goal goes in or charging up and down the terracing which is I suspect the sort of thing fans mostly hanker for when they talk about wanting terracing back.

It's not really my problem as we still have terracing and there's no likelihood of that going away now we're allowed to use it at all levels (domestically) but I rather suspect people would very quickly be disappointed with the safe standing experience if anyone ever actually brings it in here. I don't see any club actively putting in old style terraces though if they don't already still have them.

4 minutes ago, ftk said:

Difference between safe terracing and normal terracing is that if Falkirk were to qualify for Europe only seats are allowed for these fixtures. Therefore if it was safe standing the terracing can be converted into seats and used. If it was normal terracing that stand would have to stay closed. Smaller Scottish teams are probably better just with normal terracing.

Yes I realise that, but as I've just pointed out in my reply to Shadwell I think people would very quickly realise that safe standing isn't the experience they remember from their youth and get frustrated with it. I may be wrong but I think you'd be as well just installing seats. With the greatest of respect to Falkirk, they aren't exactly short of seats now. The chances of them getting so far into Europe that their existing seating wouldn't suffice are pretty remote and, even if they did, the chances that it would happen enough for the additional income from having safe standing to remotely justify the costs of putting it in are infinitesimally small.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not a Falkirk fan but what exactly do you mean by "safe terracing"?

I've never understood the fascination with the theoretical "safe standing areas" following the German model where there is a defined space per person and an individual barrier to lean on. If you are going to have that and not be able to move freely around like "classic" terracing then why bother? May as well have a seat IMO."Safe standing" is a needless gimmick for me.

If on the other hand you just mean, terracing in the classic sense as both Ayr and QoS still have then that's different. That's allowed at Premiership level now so there's no problem with having that and getting promotion but I don't see any club rushing to put it in. Nor is it the sort of thing that works on top of a building with offices which is presumably what will be needed for a third party to instal it.

I pretty much agree, but don't really see what's to stop the installation of a big Ayr or Queens style terracing.

Why couldn't such a building house stuff underneath it in the same way as a seated area might?

5 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

It's pretty simple really. Old terracing is not allowed, sitting down is shite. Health safety says you can't stand when there is a seat and in smaller stadiums where stewards can get to you can enforce this. Therefore 'safe standing' is the alternative.  

Old terracing is allowed though.

Full length seating, to the depth of the temporary stand we used to have there; hospitality boxes overlooking that; leading back into a decent sized club bar (not the pokey 200-odd capacity mooted for South Stand); then commercial/hotel/leisure/gym space to fill the building section and generate revenue.  Make it happen. 

1 minute ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Full length seating, to the depth of the temporary stand we used to have there; hospitality boxes overlooking that; leading back into a decent sized club bar (not the pokey 200-odd capacity mooted for South Stand); then commercial/hotel/leisure/gym space to fill the building section and generate revenue.  Make it happen. 

I think you should put in an elevated terracing, that offices etc could go underneath.  It could run the length of the pitch, but needn't be that deep.  

It could have a segregation fence at some point and wouldn't even need a costly roof.

Just imagine it - 4 sides.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes.

Only in Europe would it present an issue.

Ah right!! Apologies I wasn't aware of that. Well in that case the only reason for it would be for the point I made if European compettion was likely. Having only played 1 European game in our entire history I doubt this would be at the forefront of our thinking, normal old school terracing for me then please with a bar the length of the pitch

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

I think you should put in an elevated terracing, that offices etc could go underneath.  It could run the length of the pitch, but needn't be that deep.  

It could have a segregation fence at some point and wouldn't even need a costly roof.

Just imagine it - 4 sides.

That sounds architecturally hideous

Keep it sexy 

Just now, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

That sounds architecturally hideous

Keep it sexy 

I'm only envisaging something like Ayr already have.

I'd be prepared to scrap the elevated bit if you didn't all keep banging on about bars, offices and soft play areas.

Old school crumbly terracing is the future.

21 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I pretty much agree, but don't really see what's to stop the installation of a big Ayr or Queens style terracing.

Why couldn't such a building house stuff underneath it in the same way as a seated area might?

Such things would inevitably be much higher than a terracing would be. Our own terracing is the highest in the country now and you'd still barely fit a room or two underneath it.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm only envisaging something like Ayr already have.

I'd be prepared to scrap the elevated bit if you didn't all keep banging on about bars, offices and soft play areas.

Old school crumbly terracing is the future.

The point is of course Falkirk have absolutely no need to build a 4th side purely for their own capacity and are not going to do so whether it be seating, safe standing, old style standing or picnic tables and hot-tubs.

The idea of a 4th side only works for them if someone else pays for it as part of a commercial development underneath. And if you are going to do that it's not realistically going to be old style terracing.