The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I don't agree at all. I wasn't at the Cup game but over the 4 league games against them this season I've seen nothing that concerns me. Two even games at Cappielow with us being the better side both times at TFS.

This^.

Morton have been quite lucky against us and that doesn't last forever.

Our league record against Morton this season is the same as Hibs last season (D3 L1). Even the scorelines are identical. Nothing to say we can't beat them over two legs.

It's probably the cup game which is more sticking in people's minds as a big reason why they reckon we can his struggle against Morton.

As fucking horrific as we were in the second half that game Morton were probably the best opposition team I've seen this season.

10 hours ago, FalkirkLad said:

I would say they have the kind of spirit we had last year which is really working for them, but i would totally disagree they are a better side, i think we are better all over the park and we have a lot more depth.

Can't agree with that. You certainly have more depth, and have better, goalscoring strikers, but I wouldn't swap our back line or midfield for any Falkirk player. Could argue that I'd have Gaston over Rodgers too as I've never understood the hype about him any time we've played each other.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Not having that Sibbald wouldn't walk into any team in this league.

I'll get slaughtered for this but I wouldn't have Sibbald in our midfield the way it currently is. Lindsay and Murdoch are an unbelievable partnership who run up and down the park all day and are very good with the ball at their feet, and aren't afraid to put a tackle in too. Nesbitt adds that bit of skill and pace required to drag us up the park and there's no way Forbes could be replaced by anyone. 

I'll get slaughtered for this but I wouldn't have Sibbald in our midfield the way it currently is. Lindsay and Murdoch are an unbelievable partnership who run up and down the park all day and are very good with the ball at their feet, and aren't afraid to put a tackle in too. Nesbitt adds that bit of skill and pace required to drag us up the park and there's no way Forbes could be replaced by anyone. 

You'll not get slaughtered. When I watched Morton a few weeks ago against Falkirk, I was thinking what is it about Morton that's so good? There's not much skill there, there's not one player who sticks out as being a playmaker I thought, but they are solid, everyone works for each other, everyone kind of knows where the other person is, (cliches I know), they have midfielders who go past the strikers, they can pass well too.

While I think sibbald would improve Morton I don't think he'd fit in with the Morton way of playing.

Can't agree with that. You certainly have more depth, and have better, goalscoring strikers, but I wouldn't swap our back line or midfield for any Falkirk player. Could argue that I'd have Gaston over Rodgers too as I've never understood the hype about him any time we've played each other.

Rogers, Grant, Leahy and Sibbald would walk into the Morton team.

I would have Kilday, O'Ware and the two Celtic kids in ours tomorrow.

A distinct lack of planning for next season it appears. Didn't we have Craigen and Austin signed up by this time last year?

Hope this is a joke. We signed Austin in January. Craigen was a very questionable signing at the time given we weren't sure what position he played or what division we would be in. As it stands, he's came onto a game, but not the player we needed to replace Alston if we were going to continue playing the exact same way from last year.

Anyone at the development game last night? Heard the ref had a shocker wasted the game. Read he sent the goalkeeper, Lewis McMinn off, showed him a straight red card after the referee adjudged him to have handled the ball outside of the box. The young keeper was raging apparently as the decision was clearly wrong!

9 hours ago, Trump said:

Hope this is a joke. We signed Austin in January. Craigen was a very questionable signing at the time given we weren't sure what position he played or what division we would be in. As it stands, he's came onto a game, but not the player we needed to replace Alston if we were going to continue playing the exact same way from last year.

I suppose thats another negative about the playoffs. You basically don't know what league your going to be playing in till very late in the day so it makes it difficult to plan for next season. Whilst the odds would be on us still being in the championship next season you dont want to go and sign some players in case you go up and could've afforded better.

I suppose thats another negative about the playoffs. You basically don't know what league your going to be playing in till very late in the day so it makes it difficult to plan for next season. Whilst the odds would be on us still being in the championship next season you dont want to go and sign some players in case you go up and could've afforded better.

I don't remember any other team beating us to a signing last summer as a result of us being in the playoffs, with the signing team not being in the playoffs. Please enlighten me though.

50 minutes ago, guccibag said:

Anyone at the development game last night? Heard the ref had a shocker wasted the game. Read he sent the goalkeeper, Lewis McMinn off, showed him a straight red card after the referee adjudged him to have handled the ball outside of the box. The young keeper was raging apparently as the decision was clearly wrong!

Lewis was indeed raging, and from his reaction, and that of his teammates, I would say the ref did get it wrong.

I didn't have the best of angles but from what I could see the keepers' arms were forward of his body and outstretched at the moment of impact. This may have caused the ref to wrongly think he handled it. Normally when a player chests the ball their arms are pulled back, presumably to tighten the muscles at the top of the chest, which didn't seem to be the case last night.

The club have video analysis which ought to clear it up one way or other.

36 minutes ago, Trump said:

I don't remember any other team beating us to a signing last summer as a result of us being in the playoffs, with the signing team not being in the playoffs. Please enlighten me though.

Players mostly get signed in July as they like to bugger off in June wi the family. A player would be mental to sign wi a new team in May not knowing if he could get a bigger club and more money by seeing who else wants him.

As an aside when we appointed Houston and were very late into the players available pool We still managed a cup final that season.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

I'm not saying they did. Who knows. I was just suggesting that it means 3 teams in the championship cant really plan properly for next season until they know what division their going to end up in. If we'd gone up Alston wouldnt be at St Johnstone just now he'd still be with us.