The Falkirk FC Thread

31 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Point out where I've got on his back already?  All I've done is reply to people saying that I must be pissed off because he had a decent game last night. I then said I will judge him in what he does in competitive league fixtures and not before. I further commented that I had no vandetta against Harris I was just hoping for someone with a bit more quality who had previously shown he was a cut above this level. If and when he runs out at St Mirren I will back him and then we'll know whether he's up to the job or not. Till then he can be woeful, dire or mediocre and it means not a jot. 

^^^^^^All over the place as usual, say you won't judge him until August 5th then in the next sentence judge him on his previous.

13 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's Edinburgh city. Douglas bader would look decent against hhem.

Negative again

12 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm not going to get excited over performances in friendlies against Edinburgh city. Brilliant or shit tonight it's August the 5th that counts.

Yup

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I haven't found a Queens fan yet who thought he was anything over average. At Dundee he had to put up with shit strikers like Hemmings, Loy and Stewart . That must've been a nightmare as they only got 39 goals between them. Yet again he failed to impress.  

Bringing up the past again

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Why did Hibs let him go if he's that brilliant? Different if he's dropping down a level to play for us but he couldn't get on the bench for them in the championship. 

Failing miserably 

10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Only started 16 games in two seasons with the most being 10 in one season . Only scored one goal and that was against us( he's a winger though so thats probably not all that important to be honest) and second season was one of the worst in hibs history . He even started in their 7 goal drubbing from Malmo that year.  I wouldnt say that was great evidence of being quality  champ level or above.

Just a few points from the last couple of pages, really simple to find your negative posts. Admit it, you don't like him and have written him off. Marshy put it best in his post. You are most definitely setting bars of you think we should be signing players of the quality you mentioned, and be disappointed if we don't. 

So is it Luca before Watson? I don't think there is much between them but is the consensus its Lucas jersey to lose?

I'd imagine that's how Houston sees it though for me Grant/Watson is by far our best combination. I've said it before but it's very telling that Grant has looked his best whilst beside Watson.

Wouldn't feel too sorry for him. I saw him on the way out the ground getting into a top of the range Merc with a tidy as f**k bird. What a guy.

What a boy.

He's only 31 as well, thought he'd be older. But since leaving us 5 years ago he's only scored 17 goals which is still less than he managed in his one season with us.

My view on last night:

GKs - Thomson talks the defence/midfield all through the game & knows his stuff. Good couple of saves including one at point blank. Mitchell was barely tested in the 2nd half so hard to tell how he is. His distribution pre match to Thomson for handling training was awful & after the 4th crap cross on the bounce Thomson went mental at him. Good lad.

Aye it's good to see Robbie Thomson in constant communication with his defence. I really like that.

See for the warming up of the 'keepers I've never understood why we don't get a youth player to do it (the crossing/shooting etc...) rather than your back up 'keeper to shank crosses onto the roof of the net.

Given the amount of players we've had who only seemed to play really well with us (Farid and Darryl Duffy to quickly name 2) you'd think we wouldn't give a shit what other fans say about player X.

To be perfectly honest if Harris was amazing at Hibs he wouldn't have signed with Falkirk in the 1st place.

How was O'Hara when he came on?

As has been said O'Hara didn't get an awful lot of time on the park, maybe 15 minutes or so, but he still managed to score once and was pretty unlucky not to get another.

He looked really lively and full of confidence which was great to see. For his goal he times his run in perfectly and couldn't miss from Harris' pull back.

Hopefully we see him a lot more in the first team this season. Listening to his interview from Hungary last week and he was saying that Houston sees him more has a number 10 playing behind the strikers. I think that's a bit baffling tbh his main assets are his pace and his knack of being in the right place at the right time.

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

As has been said O'Hara didn't get an awful lot of time on the park, maybe 15 minutes or so, but he still managed to score once and was pretty unlucky not to get another.

He looked really lively and full of confidence which was great to see. For his goal he times his run in perfectly and couldn't miss from Harris' pull back.

Hopefully we see him a lot more in the first team this season. Listening to his interview from Hungary last week and he was saying that Houston sees him more has a number 10 playing behind the strikers. I think that's a bit baffling tbh his main assets are his pace and his knack of being in the right place at the right time.

We did use Mark Stewart in a deeper role a hell of a lot in the season he scored 17 goals for us and used his pace at times to a tee, it doesnt rule out him being in the box to sniff chances. He has been playing in a more wide role in last seasons u20s and at East Fife also. I do hope this is the season he gets a chance, I like many got a bit carried away with the hype with him at first then settled down to realism. He has a good brain on his shoulders and will put the work in to achieve better this season, my mate seen him at Gym on Monday seriously pumping some weights.

3 minutes ago, MrDust said:

my mate seen him at Gym on Monday seriously pumping some weights.

I've noticed a few of our players this summer are looking a bit more built. Good to see so many spent the summer in the gym and not Nandos

20 minutes ago, Russ said:

What a boy.

He's only 31 as well, thought he'd be older. But since leaving us 5 years ago he's only scored 17 goals which is still less than he managed in his one season with us.

Aye, would have been interesting to see how his career went if he hadn't missed so much of his time at Brentford through injury.

11 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

^^^^^^All over the place as usual, say you won't judge him until August 5th then in the next sentence judge him on his previous.

Negative again

Yup

Bringing up the past again

Failing miserably 

Just a few points from the last couple of pages, really simple to find your negative posts. Admit it, you don't like him and have written him off. Marshy put it best in his post. You are most definitely setting bars of you think we should be signing players of the quality you mentioned, and be disappointed if we don't. 

Easy to quote me me without quoting  the points put to me first. I wouldn't have made any comment on his performance last night as again it was only a friendly and after many years of following falkirk I know not to take anything from previous friendly games. A first comment was put to me though that I must be seething that he played well last night to which I replied that it was only a friendly against Edinburgh city which again you cant take anything from. Someone then said that I had a vandetta against him. I then replied no but I'd been pissed off about his signing because he hadnt shown the quality previously that I wanted to see us signing this season.  Someone then said that a player can only be as good as the players he was playing with which I disagreed with. I was then told that Harris wasn't brilliant when he was with Dundee because he was only 18 at the time and asked to name others who were any good at that age which I responded too. Others have said that he had shown his quality at hibs when he first came through which I argued wasn't really the case. Virtually all my points are in reply to posts of others. 

I was extremely negative regarding his signing as I always want better players at falkirk. To me Harris hasn't shown enough previously to say he's a better quality than others we've signed over the past season or so.To say I wanted players of the calibre I mentioned in my previous response though is rubbish. I was asked to name players who had performed in the top flight at the age of 18/19 who weren't playing for the old firm at the time. Off the top of my head I then mentioned some names. Harris is here now and I'll give him a chance once pre season is over and we get into the nitty gritty.

1 minute ago, Gaz FFC said:

I've noticed a few of our players this summer are looking a bit more built. Good to see so many spent the summer in the gym and not Nandos

plenty role models in Arfield, Kingsley and Sibbald who have put in the extra work to bulk up and achieve serious £s and a real career out the game.

25 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Given the amount of players we've had who only seemed to play really well with us (Farid and Darryl Duffy to quickly name 2) you'd think we wouldn't give a shit what other fans say about player X.

To be perfectly honest if Harris was amazing at Hibs he wouldn't have signed with Falkirk in the 1st place.

I wouldnt say Daryl Duffy only played well with us. He carved out a pretty decent career for himself down south playing about 250 games. 

41 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I wouldnt say Daryl Duffy only played well with us. He carved out a pretty decent career for himself down south playing about 250 games. 

5 clubs in 4 year when he left us, under 120 league starts  and 34 league goals down south in 8 yr and been out the country in for the last 3yrs and scrambling for a club now suggests he hasnt quite had the highs he had in two seasons with us

3 minutes ago, MrDust said:

5 clubs in 4 year when he left us, under 120 league starts  and 34 league goals down south in 8 yr and been out the country in for the last 3yrs and scrambling for a club now suggests he hasnt quite had the highs he had in two seasons with us

And now apparently on trial at Inverness... Hope his best days are behind him. 

On 08/07/2017 at 18:21, RossP said:

Apparently Daryl Duffy was up front for us today against Elgin. He was shite unsurprisingly. 

2 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

And now apparently on trial at Inverness... Hope his best days are behind him. 

Yep

9 minutes ago, MrDust said:

He won the scottish championship with us not the european cup. Then had a decent first half a season in the premier. He perhaps wasnt as good as we thought he might be since when left but its a lot higher level to the scottish champ and he'd be getting paid a good few bob. Swansea paid around 200k for him too at one point.To say he only ever played well for us like farid is a wee bit harsh though I'd say. 

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He won the scottish championship with us not the european cup. Then had a decent first half a season in the premier. He perhaps wasnt as good as we thought he might be since when left but its a lot higher level to the scottish champ and he'd be getting paid a good few bob. Swansea paid around 200k for him too at one point.To say he only ever played well for us like farid is a wee bit harsh though I'd say. 

Stats and number of clubs in a short space suggest otherwise and at the age of 30 he chases the £ in India after scoring 3 goals in 30 in his last season in England.

Swansea signed him after a loan spell seen him hit 5 in 8, following season seen him hit 2 in 31, stats like that dont scream out decent in anyone's vocab surely

He surprised me in his half season in the SPL as I thought the championship was his level, perhaps Latapy rolling him in was his level but strikers are 99% judged on their goal return unless they are ruled out by being more of a wing man/ target man but they still get the goal stats on their back

5 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Stats and number of clubs in a short space suggest otherwise and at the age of 30 he chases the £ in India after scoring 3 goals in 30 in his last season in England.

Swansea signed him after a loan spell seen him hit 5 in 8, following season seen him hit 2 in 31, stats like that dont scream out decent in anyone's vocab surely

He surprised me in his half season in the SPL as I thought the championship was his level, perhaps Latapy rolling him in was his level but strikers are 99% judged on their goal return unless they are ruled out by being more of a wing man/ target man but they still get the goal stats on their back

I'd say he's been pretty average since he left but I wouldnt stick him in the same bracket as Farid who has hardly played in double figures games a season since he left. A better example of a player than Duffy who only ever played decent  for us would be Mark Millar  I'd say