The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, 60`s bairn said:

Stick to the same one every day. I head down past Carron roundabout go over the main road bridge over the carron, take the road to the kelpies. I used to go as far as the new bridge and back up via Allan`s motors but I only go as far as langlees park and double back the way I came. It means Ellie`s off leash for longer.

Unusual to have your wife on a leash. It's usually the other way round! 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Loads of 94/95 highlights posted up on FTV. Kills me that I know I was a fan then, can remember for example the signings of Stevie Kirk and Mo Johnston etc, but I dont remember specifics of matches I was at etc

Does anyone remember a game from the early to mid 90s at Brockville where an opposition goalkeeper was taking a load of stick for coming on with his top on outside in? I think it may have been Lindsay Hamilton.... 

I have an inkling that might have been my first game, or if not its was very early on for me. 

Nah, Lindsay Hamilton just got stick for being Lindsay Hamilton.

Just now, ShaggerG said:

Theres a Hamilton connection there.... Perhaps said goalkeeper played for Hamilton. Fucked if I can recall any details other than the outside on top. Maybe it was a sub keeper coming on.... 

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Definitely you're never going to replace him a guy that scored 14 goals with the same quality but you have to do better than finnigan who ended up with 3 that season. He also signed John Stewart that season who was utterly dire and was never going to step up to the plate when stokes left..  It's like houston when vaulks left. You cant get the same quality but  to replace him with pish like john rankin is feckin criminal.

Given his scoring record for Newcastle's U21s, Finnigan was worth taking a punt on though, that's my point. Yogi couldn't have known how 'average' he was going to be. I say average because I don't think he was quite as bad as you make out. Scored something like 1 in 4 and suffered from various ailments while he was here.

4 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Given his scoring record for Newcastle's U21s, Finnigan was worth taking a punt on though, that's my point. Yogi couldn't have known how 'average' he was going to be. I say average because I don't think he was quite as bad as you make out. Scored something like 1 in 4 and suffered from various ailments while he was here.

Stats arent as bad 83 appearances and 25 goals works out 1 in 3.3 games but as you say his goal scoring record at Newcastle reserves it would have been stupid not to take a punt 56 goals in 102 games for them

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You've got to ask why wallner wasnt interested if that was the case though.  Guy had a great record before and after he was at Falkirk. Why could Hughes not get the best out of him when other managers could? Something not right there.

Who were the other Managers that got the best out of him??? Certainly no one in Scotland..he  went to Hamilton on loan and got 3 games!! If you look at his record all his football has been played in Austria. Any time he ventured out of Austria he didn`t get games. I honestly don`t know why he came at all, he was aloof and disinterested.

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

As I said the problem was made worse by the fact that out of the 3 strikers he signed that season one was excellent, one was poor and one was down right awful. Which meant when the excellent one left we were fecked. If either stewart or finnigan had turned out decent we'd have been top 6 more than likely . Same happened the year after when thomson left and he brought in mcbride and bradley who were both murder. Once he'd signed a dumpling like stewart and stokes was leaving he couldnt afford to screw up with finnigan but unfortunately he did.

19 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

He made an arse of himself when Stainrod scored from the half way line and said it was a fluke,only for Simon to score direct from a corner gainst him after hitting the post in the same game with one.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

As I said the problem was made worse by the fact that out of the 3 strikers he signed that season one was excellent, one was poor and one was down right awful. Which meant when the excellent one left we were fecked. If either stewart or finnigan had turned out decent we'd have been top 6 more than likely . Same happened the year after when thomson left and he brought in mcbride and bradley who were both murder. Once he'd signed a dumpling like stewart and stokes was leaving he couldnt afford to screw up with finnigan but unfortunately he did.

Stokes was a great "find" but was always going to be temporary. Finnigan was a similar prospect at Newcastle but suffered from too many injuries to have the same effect. The problem is trying to tempt quality to the Club on a permanent basis. It`s always harder for a provincial Club like Falkirk (there`s always a percentage that won`t work out for you)  but I think Hughes done a good job overall and the fact we had so many seasons in the top league proves that.

7 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

Who were the other Managers that got the best out of him??? Certainly no one in Scotland..he  went to Hamilton on loan and got 3 games!! If you look at his record all his football has been played in Austria. Any time he ventured out of Austria he didn`t get games. I honestly don`t know why he came at all, he was aloof and disinterested.

He was playing regularly in the champ league group stages not long after leaving us and did ok at Leipzig too. The good managers get the best out of players that are a bit huffy especially when they are of a level you wouldnt normally expect. Theobald was another one. According to liam craig did well enough in training but never got a kick. Next thing hes marking  beckham out a game at the world cup. Crazy.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Theobald was another one. According to liam craig did well enough in training but never got a kick. Next thing hes marking  beckham out a game at the world cup. Crazy.

Have you checked Theobold`s playing record after he left us???

Edited by 60`s bairn

1 minute ago, 60`s bairn said:

Stokes was a great "find" but was always going to be temporary. Finnigan was a similar prospect at Newcastle but suffered from too many injuries to have the same effect. The problem is trying to tempt quality to the Club on a permanent basis. It`s always harder for a provincial Club like Falkirk (there`s always a percentage that won`t work out for you)  but I think Hughes done a good job overall and the fact we had so many seasons in the top league proves that.

Problem I  those cases is that 2 out your 3 aren't good enough that percentage doesnt bode well unfortunately. If either of those 4 had proven to be good we'd have made top 6 in my opinion. Unfortunately they were all either poor or awful. I'm not denying he did a good job he just seemed unable to get past the same issues that kept reoccurring. He had a similar problem at hibs where they were riding high the first half of the season and fell away completely after christmas and ended up in him getting the boot.

2 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

Have you checked Theobold`s playing record after he left us???

He never seemed to recover from his time doing nothing with us. As I said liam craig said he looked fine in training so I'm not sure why he never got one chance at all. He obviously had ability as was shown in the world cup games.

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He was playing regularly in the champ league group stages not long after leaving us and did ok at Leipzig too.

I know what he did after he went back to Austria but I`m trying to say to you he wasn`t interested while he was here. Nothing to do with being a good manager, Alex Ferguson would have booted him after the first day!!

I don`t deny he was a decent player but he thought he was bigger than the club. Something you don`t find out until they are here for a week or two.

Just now, 60`s bairn said:

I know what he did after he went back to Austria but I`m trying to say to you he wasn`t interested while he was here. Nothing to do with being a good manager, Alex Ferguson would have booted him after the first day!!

I don`t deny he was a decent player but he thought he was bigger than the club. Something you don`t find out until they are here for a week or two.

Not sure ferguson would've . He had his share of problem players but always managed to get the best out of them. He knew whether they needed the arm around the shoulder approach or the boot up the arse. I'm pretty sure he'd have got the best out of wallner. Mind you wallner would see ferguson as a manager to look up to and learn from. Doubt hed ever heard of john hughes.

He never seemed to recover from his time doing nothing with us. As I said liam craig said he looked fine in training so I'm not sure why he never got one chance at all. He obviously had ability as was shown in the world cup games.

He wasn`t good enough quite simply. Played out his skin in a couple of world cup games. Teams should have been queuing up for him then??

1 minute ago, 60`s bairn said:

He wasn`t good enough quite simply. Played out his skin in a couple of world cup games. Teams should have been queuing up for him then??

Why would Russell bring him along to the club if he didn't rate him as a player or think he was good enough. That just doesnt make sense. And if Neil Scally was worth 13 games that season you cant tell me theobald wasnt worth a chance.

Why would Russell bring him along to the club if he didn't rate him as a player or think he was good enough. That just doesnt make sense. And if Neil Scally was worth 13 games that season you cant tell me theobald wasnt worth a chance.

There`s no point in comparing Apples with pears. Scally wasn`t the classiest but he would give you everything and what was needed at the time. Russell brought a few players to the Club on trial and some were complete mince. You just never heard about them.

Anyway, you win, you`ve worn me out, Grangemouth Bairn was right "bail out now, you`ll never win"😂😂

34 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

George Craig did a talk at my son's school explaining how we managed to sign Stokes,it was a pure fluke and he said it was his wife that said what have you got to lose just sign him.He was on £4000 a week at Arsenal and we paid £1000 of it when he was at Falkirk.