The Falkirk FC Thread

Looking ahead to tomorrow’s game and this is the lineup I would go with:

Mutch, Neilson, McClelland, Dixon, Deveney, Morrison, Alston, Gomis, Fotheringham, Telfer and Keena in a 4-4-1-1 formation or 4-3-3. If you want two strikers you’d probably need to sacrifice Telfer for Sammon. 

Knowing M & M this won’t be near the team we see selected. 

1 minute ago, CC52 FFC said:

Looking ahead to tomorrow’s game and this is the lineup I would go with:

Mutch, Neilson, McClelland, Dixon, Deveney, Morrison, Alston, Gomis, Fotheringham, Telfer and Keena in a 4-4-1-1 formation or 4-3-3. If you want two strikers you’d probably need to sacrifice Telfer for Sammon. 

Knowing M & M this won’t be near the team we see selected. 

Depends if Connolly is fit. I'd play telfer with gomis and Connolly wide left Morrison wide right with Keena and Sammon up top if dowds ain't fit. Keena needs a chance at getting some support up top.

12 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Depends if Connolly is fit. I'd play telfer with gomis and Connolly wide left Morrison wide right with Keena and Sammon up top if dowds ain't fit. Keena needs a chance at getting some support up top.

I doubt Connolly will come right back in and start. He’s not been been subbed on in the last games or so. I could be wrong though. 

Pretty nervous for tomorrow night. A total shitshow of a season that’s been hard to get into but imo we have a real chance of “getting away with it” this season.  Draw or lose tomorrow and I’m certain we’ll bottle it. Win and I think we may scrape home. The stakes if we don’t dont bear thinking about it. Stuck down here for another year with a rejuvenated Partick. Please no. Biggest game in a while tomorrow 

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

Pretty nervous for tomorrow night. A total shitshow of a season that’s been hard to get into but imo we have a real chance of “getting away with it” this season.  Draw or lose tomorrow and I’m certain we’ll bottle it. Win and I think we may scrape home. The stakes if we don’t dont bear thinking about it. Stuck down here for another year with a rejuvenated Partick. Please no. Biggest game in a while tomorrow 

We were well on the way to bottling it before the season stopped. The East Fife game I realised this lot haven't a scooby doo. The break saved M&M temporarily. I've saw absolutely nothing since we returned to change my mind. Two fortunate results the Forfar keeper in particular helping us out, and a nothing performance against Dumbarton, then the sideshow comedy routine against Celtic.  If we do "get away" with it will be nothing short of a miracle. 

4 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

We were well on the way to bottling it before the season stopped. The East Fife game I realised this lot haven't a scooby doo. The break saved M&M temporarily. I've saw absolutely nothing since we returned to change my mind. Two fortunate results the Forfar keeper in particular helping us out, and a nothing performance against Dumbarton, then the sideshow comedy routine against Celtic.  If we do "get away" with it will be nothing short of a miracle. 

Don’t disagree, if season hadn’t been paused these 2 would’ve been emptied by late jan. We won’t sack them if we go up (fantasy land for those who think deans has the balls to do something like that) but I anticipate them being firmly shown up within the first month or 2 in the champ, then we can empty. I’d rather we didn’t have to wait for that eventuality but I’m a realist 

I also thought we'd have won the league last season if it had played to a finish.

Reckon we'd have matched Raith's results along the last quarter (as a minimum given we had the easier fixtures on paper) and beaten them at home on the last day to win the league 

41 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I also thought we'd have won the league last season if it had played to a finish.

Reckon we'd have matched Raith's results along the last quarter (as a minimum given we had the easier fixtures on paper) and beaten them at home on the last day to win the league 

All down to opinions and conjecture. Truth is, no knows how it would have panned out, and its irrelevant now.

17 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

All down to opinions and conjecture. Truth is, no knows how it would have panned out, and its irrelevant now.

As far as i'm concerned we had our chance to win the league at Starks park in March and shat it. Move on and put it right this season. Raith were well and truely better than us last season and therefore deserved to go up. We need to just focus on being slightly better than the rest this season.

Edited by FFC 1876

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

As far as i'm concerned we had our chance to win the league at Starks park in March and shat it. Move on and put it right this season. Raith were well and truely better than us last season and therefore deserved to go up. We need to just focus on being slightly better than the rest this season.

“Well and truly” but only sat 1 point in front of us? Surely if they were well and truly better than us they would have been well clear? We’re further ahead than anyone else in the league but I still wouldn’t say we were better than anyone else in the league IMO. 

Edited by CC52 FFC

54 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

“Well and truly” but only sat 1 point in front of us? Surely if they were well and truly better than us they would have been well clear? We’re further ahead than anyone else in the league but I still wouldn’t say we were better than anyone else in the league IMO. 

Certainly had a well and truly better manager than the two clowns we've got.  They were far better than us at getting their money's worth out their budget. The fact that we were a point behind them was a right riddy considering our superior resources.  M and m blew it in the January window by signing 3 complete diddies when we needed signings that would kick us on. Raith signed McLean which gave them a boost. We'll never know who would've cracked when the pressure was on in the last few weeks of last season . You only have to look at how the management are shitting the bed just now and that's with us 4 points ahead never mind a point behind. Doesn't give me much confidence that we'd have pulled it out the bag last season without a Raith collapse.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

13 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Assuming we lost the top spot this year to Cove the absolute worst outcome would then be finishing 2nd to McKinnon next year... *shiver*

1 hour ago, CC52 FFC said:

We played them 3 times that season. Drew twice and they beat is 2-0 in the other. They were top of the league all season and were well and truely a better team than us with a better manager than us. Is it frustrating that we didn't get to play them again? Yes , but would we have won that last game or would we have done what we done in the previous 3 games against them and bottled it? We only have ourselves to blame for not getting top of the league that season.

We played them 3 times that season. Drew twice and they beat is 2-0 in the other. 

That isn't correct, we drew 3 times in the league. The 2-0 game was a challenge cup match with a much changed team, even then both of Raith's goals were penalties and we missed one ourselves iirc. 

They were top of the league all season and were well and truely a better team than us with a better manager than us. 

Again, not correct. We were top after 12 matches and Airdrie also had a spell there for a few weeks shortly after (whilst we went on a run of 1 win in 4 which resulted in McKinnon being emptied).

Under M&M, after the 1-1 draw at TFS in December we were 3 points behind Raith. After the 1-1 draw at Starks we were 1 point behind with a far superior goal difference. We absolutely had the momentum back and whilst I'm not going to say we would have definitely, 100% romped to the title or anything like that - we were in a really good position to do the business over the last quarter.

All hypothetical of course and a pointless debate now, but no one saw the pandemic coming in terms of how it unfolded with the suspension and then eventual calling of the leagues. If we'd known the game at Starks was essentially our last chance to pass Raith I'm pretty sure we would have approached it differently.

Whilst you can point to many of our own failings that season (the main one for me was losing to that rank Clyde side 3 times) which ultimately cost us the title, COVID-19 was a massive slice of luck for Raith who were a long way from certain of gaining promotion themselves.

As others have said with Queen's Park arriving next season and running a Championship-level budget (along with a whole host of other reasons), we simply must get out of this league this season. Though even if M&M pull it off I'll be far from convinced on the basis of the last 6 matches.

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

We played them 3 times that season. Drew twice and they beat is 2-0 in the other. They were top of the league all season and were well and truely a better team than us with a better manager than us. Is it frustrating that we didn't get to play them again? Yes , but would we have won that last game or would we have done what we done in the previous 3 games against them and bottled it? We only have ourselves to blame for not getting top of the league that season.

Did we not draw with them 3 times? They beat us in the diddy cup when we played the second string dross which was significantly worse than the first string dross. 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Certainly had a well and truly better manager than the two clowns we've got.  They were far better than us at getting their money's worth out their budget. The fact that we were a point behind them was a right riddy considering our superior resources.  M and m blew it in the January window by signing 3 complete diddies when we needed signings that would kick us on. Raith signed McLean which gave them a boost. We'll never know who would've cracked when the pressure was on in the last few weeks of last season . You only have to look at how the management are shitting the bed just now and that's with us 4 points ahead never mind a point behind. Doesn't give me much confidence that we'd have pulled it out the bag last season without a Raith collapse.

Yes I agree their signings were better but again I’ll put into context. We were easily behind Raith when McKinnon was binned sitting 4th in the league after that feeble 1-1 draw in Dumbarton IIRC. M and M lost once since they came in before football was closed down and cut that gap to 1 point. That game against them at the stadium we were outplaying them with 10 men when Telfer got sent off. Look back at them highlights and it’s wave and wave of attack on their goal. When we went down to 9 there was no chance. They were just as bad as us, maybe slightly better but not streets ahead. 

Edited by CC52 FFC

13 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

Yes I agree their signings were better but again I’ll put into context. We were easily behind Raith when McKinnon was binned sitting 4th in the league after that feeble 1-1 draw in Dumbarton IIRC. M and M lost once since they came in before football was closed down and cut that gap to 1 point. That game against them at the stadium we were outplaying them with 10 men when Telfer got sent off. Look back at them highlights and it’s wave and wave of attack on their goal. When we went down to 9 there was no chance. They were just as bad as us, maybe slightly better but not streets ahead. 

I don't think they were any great shakes but I do think mcglynn over achieved and continues to overachieve on the budget he had available while we under McKinnon and m and m underachieved hugely.  Too many draws under m and m cost us badly including the piss poor one at Raith when we should've been going for the jugular. That was a sign of things to come unfortunately.

On 03/04/2021 at 13:23, FFC 1876 said:

I'm more interested in the fact Hughes got outdone by Neil Mccann to be perfectly honest. Even funnier that Sean Welsh still plays for a full time club.

Sean Welsh has the cigars out most weeks.