The Falkirk FC Thread

Really dreadful first half from us with no players getting pass marks. I was especially concerned with the situation upfront- Mackin and especially Turner offered nothing at all. 

We inproved significantly second half- there was a lot more urgency and attacking play. Though how much of that was to do with Forfar tiring rather than us improving I'm not sure. 

Lewis added a lot more pace and tempo to the game when he came on. O'Hara again showed why he needs to leave on loan as soon as possible- I don't think he touched the ball once.

3 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Really dreadful first half from us with no players getting pass marks. I was especially concerned with the situation upfront- Mackin and especially Turner offered nothing at all. 

We inproved significantly second half- there was a lot more urgency and attacking play. Though how much of that was to do with Forfar tiring rather than us improving I'm not sure. 

Lewis added a lot more pace and tempo to the game when he came on. O'Hara again showed why he needs to leave on loan as soon as possible- I don't think he touched the ball once.

sheps.png

4 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Reasonable summary but I disagree with your last point, I thought O'hara did well when he came on with some good link up play on the left hand side and several times he collected the ball, turned and passed or ran forwards which virtually no one else did all game.

6 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Which still might not be enough to qualify though.

Sorry for not being an avid fan of the new set up as to me its pants with it starting this early and has that B&Q cup feel about it now but after doing research I see that 9pts last season was enough tho down to goals, so perhaps so not enough now !!!  I had thought it was all 2nd places went through and 9pts would give us that(Scottish fitba is never straight forward in thinking)....still I have more doubt we will win all our games...

A wins a win tonite and something to build on, we were again horrific first half and only slightly better 2nd, cracking goal by Lewis tho.....

winning breeds confidence no matter who you beat, as much as losing does too but opposite effect of confidence

1 minute ago, MrDust said:

Sorry for not being an avid fan of the new set up as to me its pants with it starting this early and has that B&Q cup feel about it now but after doing research I see that 9pts last season was enough tho down to goals, so perhaps so not enough now !!!  I had thought it was all 2nd places went through and 9pts would give us that(Scottish fitba is never straight forward in thinking)....still I have more doubt we will win all our games...

A wins a win tonite and something to build on, we were again horrific first half and only slightly better 2nd, cracking goal by Lewis tho.....

winning breeds confidence no matter who you beat, as much as losing does too but opposite effect of confidence

If you think the format is complicated in any way you're either blootered or simple. Either way, fair play to you.

All I'm looking for is going into the first league game on the back of a good stretch of decent performances.

2 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

Reasonable summary but I disagree with your last point, I thought O'hara did well when he came on with some good link up play on the left hand side and several times he collected the ball, turned and passed or ran forwards which virtually no one else did all game.

O'Hara was a plus point from Saturday albeit he shouldve done x y z but you dont get the chance to learn from not doing x y z without game time.

He is young and wont get same contract time as Sheps if he doesnt deliver this season or at least show he is worth keeping

O'Hara was a plus point from Saturday albeit he shouldve done x y z but you dont get the chance to learn from not doing x y z without game time.

He is young and wont get same contract time as Sheps if he doesnt deliver this season or at least show he is worth keeping

A plus point from Saturday??? Blootered!!!!

A lot better in the second half. The changes at half time and the change in formation made a massive difference. Team just looked so much more settled and we actually started to play well.

Back 4 looked more solid and McGhee and Robson getting forward a lot more effectively. Owen-Evans and Paton proved a lot better partnership in the middle of the park and Lewis started to really stretch the defence and linked up well with Mackin.

Petravicius is going to be really frustrating this season. He’s still really raw and doesn’t seem to have a great deal of game intelligence. However he has some pace and has got a good delivery on him. Took his goal really well too, thought he’s wasted the opportunity not going first time but was a great finish with his left foot. The pass from Dallison though [emoji7].

Thought Paul Paton really stepped up the second half and was our best player second half. Was really getting stuck in and was making some great runs forward. Really pleased with his performance.

Finally best player on the park tonight was Dylan Easton imo. We couldn’t get near him and his use of the ball was great.

O'Hara again showed why he needs to leave on loan as soon as possible- I don't think he touched the ball once.

Oh come on Sheps.

I’m not going to claim he changed the game or anything but he was really busy when he came on and played well coming in from the left. Would be happy to see him get a start out there.

A plus point? He should have burst the net with one chance and squared the other. He's made more than 50 first team appearances now so you can hardly say he hasn't had game time.

1 minute ago, Russ said:

I’m not going to claim he changed the game or anything but he was really busy when he came on and played well coming in from the left. Would be happy to see him get a start out there.

John Baird is a 'really busy' player. Doesn't mean he's good enough to play for us.

A lot better in the second half. The changes at half time and the change in formation made a massive difference. Team just looked so much more settled and we actually started to play well.

Back 4 looked more solid and McGhee and Robson getting forward a lot more effectively. Owen-Evans and Paton proved a lot better partnership in the middle of the park and Lewis started to really stretch the defence and linked up well with Mackin.

Petravicius is going to be really frustrating this season. He’s still really raw and doesn’t seem to have a great deal of game intelligence. However he has some pace and has got a good delivery on him. Took his goal really well too, thought he’s wasted the opportunity not going first time but was a great finish with his left foot. The pass from Dallison though [emoji7].

Thought Paul Paton really stepped up the second half and was our best player second half. Was really getting stuck in and was making some great runs forward. Really pleased with his performance.

Finally best player on the park tonight was Dylan Easton imo. We couldn’t get near him and his use of the ball was great.

Oh come on Sheps.

Regarding the changes, if you pushed most of us to pick, Lewis and TOE would likely be almost surefire first 11. Did Hartley fonish thr game with his own preferred lineup do you think?

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If you think the format is complicated in any way you're either blootered or simple. Either way, fair play to you.

Both tonight, black currant red wine that tastes like ribena, cider and superbock 

I hate a best 2nd place format, it doesnt give you the best for qualification especially when there is a seeding involved and the top seeds getting a home tie against 2nd seed, thats up there with  preferential treatment to top league like our play offs and starting this early is just pants

1 minute ago, EdiBairn said:

A plus point? He should have burst the net with one chance and squared the other. He's made more than 50 first team appearances now so you can hardly say he hasn't had game time.

Both points are true, he wasted both chances he created. But he created 2 chances in 10 minutes, that was more than the whole team had created all game up to that point. That's why I think hartley will play him out wide, take the pressure off him trying to score and being desperate for his first goal and he might add something to the team.

Particularly agree with the last point. We need some confidence going into the first league game and our next two Cup ties are tricky away games.
I think the St Johnstone game should be a good test of where we are going into the league campaign...

That first half was extremely grim. 3-5-2 just didn’t work. Once we switched to a back 4 we looked much better. The back 4 looked decent, our midfield of Toe and Paton looked not bad either, I’d quite like to see Toe in behind a striker.

Big Petra will be class if hartley can get him to just sprint down the line and cross the ball in every time. He’s absolutely rapid with the touch of a donkey.

Lewis looked good tonight when he came on, some good link up play and took his goal well. Another with loads of pace.

Wasn’t too impressed with Mackin or Turner, done f**k all really.

I’d like to see
Fasan

McGhee
Harrison
Dallison
Robson

Paton
Sammut

Petra
Toe
Froxy

Lewis

We’re still a few signings short imo

Regarding the changes, if you pushed most of us to pick, Lewis and TOE would likely be almost surefire first 11. Did Hartley fonish thr game with his own preferred lineup do you think?

Perhaps but that does leave us with Sammut not playing though.

That back 4 is probably our best and I really liked the look of Lewis and Mackin up top. Perhaps the only position that is really up for grabs is wide left at the moment thought both Turner and O’Hara looked quite good out there today. I suppose we could play TOE out there as well but I feel it’s important that he starts in the middle as I feel that 2 of Paton/Sammut/Kidd playing there could be too defensive.

Playing 4-4-2 though does leave us with Froxylias not really fitting in to that formation.