The Club Logo Thread

Swampy

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know what the black shape on the Sampdoria badge is supposed to represent?

"The club crest features a sailor in profile known by the old Genoese name of Baciccia, which translates to Giovanni Battista in Italian or John-Baptist in English. The image of a sailor is appropriate due to Sampdoria being based in the port city of Genoa.The white, blue, red and black colours within the crest represent the clubs origins of a merger between two teams, Sampierdarenese and Andrea Doria, who wore respectively red/black and white/blue jerseys"

1137_Logo_FC_Carl_Zeiss_Jena_1.png (Carl Zeiss cameras font + team colours)

I had that as my MSN avatar for the longest time. Not too dissimilar is today's avatar, FC Sion, which like Carl Zeiss matches the typical shield with an excellent, striking font.

FC_Sion.png

I'd be interested to know if one influenced the other. Sion obviously predate Jena as a club but I don't know how recent their respective logos are (although I do know that the iconic CZJ logo you linked there isn't their original since they only took that name in the 60s.)

I was going to say our badges as well but didn't want to come across as biased too! :lol:

The new one is a bit bland. I prefer the one that has the same steeple / football design as the new one but has Falkirk Football Club written down the bottom and Est. 1876 around the top of the ball. Can't find a picture of it though.

I've always quite liked RC Lens's badge:

lens400.png

A good crest this, which now has 'depuis 1906' above the writing to indicate their year of formation. The red and yellow signify the club colours, while the miners lamp is a symbol of their heritage.

I had that as my MSN avatar for the longest time. Not too dissimilar is today's avatar, FC Sion, which like Carl Zeiss matches the typical shield with an excellent, striking font.

FC_Sion.png

I'd be interested to know if one influenced the other. Sion obviously predate Jena as a club but I don't know how recent their respective logos are (although I do know that the iconic CZJ logo you linked there isn't their original since they only took that name in the 60s.)

Don't think so- probably just coincidence. Jena first took the "Carl Zeiss" name for a couple of seasons from 1949, but there were at least three name changes after that, and the current club wasn't founded until 1965-66 (as part of a massive re-organisation of football in the GDR, where lots of old clubs disappeared to be replaced by new clubs established to represent government-decreed "centres of excellence" in GDR football.) The current badge dates from those times- as with Hansa Rostock, also formed during this 1965-66 period, Energie Cottbus, etc.

They're now mid table fodder in the 3. Bundesliga, CZJ, and don't look like going up or down anytime soon. Hansa's stay in the 3. Liga looks like it will be brief, thankfully, having suffered relegation to that level for the first time last season. Dynamo Dresden are an outside bet for promotion, also. Once again Energie Cottbus, midtable in the 2. Bundesliga, are the highest placed former East German club this season.

Always liked the Fc Loreint Logo.

It's not bad - one of quite a few with a fishy theme, to go with Grimsby, for example, and a very modest club from the Canary Islands called CD Arguineguín. Check the nick of this mess:

Arguineguin.jpg

My logo of the day is from Bolivia, and is a classy play on the shield concept. It's Club Jorge Wilstermann, named for a Bolivian aviator, and you can see the flight influence clearly in what is a beautiful logo.

Today's logo of the day is one of the very few from Argentina not to be completely rubbish. It could only be Flandria, which takes the letters-as-logo theme (Rangers, Flamengo etc.) and puts a kind of Art Deco spin on it.

Named for a textile company, Flandria are famous for being made fun of by Diego Maradona and not much else.

Today's logo of the day is one of the very few from Argentina not to be completely rubbish. It could only be Flandria, which takes the letters-as-logo theme (Rangers, Flamengo etc.) and puts a kind of Art Deco spin on it.

Named for a textile company, Flandria are famous for being made fun of by Diego Maradona and not much else.

It does look a wee bit like it says LSD on the background.

From the Spanish league I like these two

Valencia_CF.png

378px-Atletico_Madrid_logo.svg.png

I'm not sure what the animals on both represent though. Anyone able to shine a light on it?

edit: sorry the bottom one is Athetico Madrid, in case anyone was wondering

Valencia_CF.png

I'm not sure what the animals on both represent though. Anyone able to shine a light on it?

For the Athletico Madrid badge, taken from Wiki-

Others contend that the original name of the city was "Ursaria" ("land of bears" in Latin), due to the high number of these animals that were found in the adjacent forests, which, together with the strawberry tree ("madroño" in Spanish), have been the emblem of the city from the Middle Ages

Valencia_CF.png

The bat in Valencia has to do with when the city was under siege a bat got tangle in one of the attackers flags. The flag bearer waved trying to get the bat out but the troops took this as a signal to retreat & the city was saved.

Lavante also have a bat in their badge.

Along with the spurs crest these are make up my top 5.

The Ajax crest is made up of 11 separate lines, which of course represent the number of players in a football team. The fans don't like it though and prefer the old crest.

From FC Groningen (used to go without the circle):

LOGO%20FC%20Groningen(2).png

I have started gathering logos that have just a single letter in them. Yesterday was Jagiellonia of Poland; today is Lealtad (loyalty) of Asturias, Spain.

Jagiellonia.png - CD_Lealtad.png

What will tomorrow's be? :o

Archived