The get fit, stay fit thread

I've mentioned this on the gaming thread but if you've got an xbox then buy a Kinect and get UFC Trainer. I go to the gym a couple of days a week but this game works you really hard. I feel better already than I've done in 6 months at the gym.

Also good for showing you some good streches and good warmup practises.

Tore my knee medial ligament and meniscus six weeks ago. Not fun. The weight has gone back on due to the only exercise I've been able to do is walking in the shallow end of a swimming pool. Paddling, basically. End of February I've got another trip to the hospital to see how everything's progressing, and if all's okay I can start jogging again. Which usually I hate, but I am actually looking forward to. No football for quite some time though.

I'm back at the gym after a 6-month absence and paying for it. Instead of doing a few weeks of sets of 15-20 on lighter weights I just went straight into the heavier stuff doing 5-8 reps. Massive error. The day after my first chest workout I was struggling to put my jacket on as it was so painful to stretch my arms back. Thankfully I'm over the worst of it and just trying to get my strength back up.

Is there a specific thread for weights or is it all just discussed in here?

:lol:

I had stopped doing chin ups and pull ups for a while there. I decided to go back and do them after Christmas and like you I was crippled all across my back,shoulders,pecs, and worst of all my abs. I was totally fucked for about three days. I'm back doing them every day again now, I think its one of the best exercises around, it works loads of your upper body.

I've had a month of being a lazy shite but tomorrow I'm getting back into it properly. I want to put on about 10lbs in the next 6 months and see every aspect of my fitness improve. It will be the most exercise I've done if all goes to plan and I'm looking forward to feeling better rather than the knackered, hungover mess I've been for the past 4 weeks. I'll assess myself on the weights tomorrow and will be working my upper body there 3 times a week. I'm going to do 5km on the treadmill twice a week to focus on my cardio, I've got kickboxing once or twice a week and I'm going to start the sparring there, a weekly game of fives has been added on a Friday night with the boys from my work and I'm definitely going to give BJJ a go as well.

You'll struggle to gain weight if you're doing all of that...

It's all worthwhile exercise, but you need to focus on what goal's really important to you. Do you want to gain weight or do you want to get into kickboxing / BJJ (I'm assuming that this is with a view to MMA)? The two types of training don't really sit well together.

You'll struggle to gain weight if you're doing all of that...

It's all worthwhile exercise, but you need to focus on what goal's really important to you. Do you want to gain weight or do you want to get into kickboxing / BJJ (I'm assuming that this is with a view to MMA)? The two types of training don't really sit well together.

I'm going to eat a lot more (carbs especially) and continue to drink 4 pints of full fat milk a day. I'm more concerned with bulking up as I'm 6'3 and only about 155lbs (was only about 140lbs a year ago). I suppose weight gain isn't as important as putting on muscle really. The kickboxing is something I do for enjoyment and BJJ is something I've wanted to try for a while, and I can't see me stepping into a cage in all honesty.

I realise that's all a bit of a mess and I'm probably getting my wires crossed. You know your stuff, what would you recommend?

On Saturday I did 45 minute spin class then 1 hour of bodypump. Felt fine! Sunday morning did Bodycombat.

Legs ceased up last night and was in agony getting up off the couch and coming down the stairs was torture! :bairn

They feel stiff today but not as bad as last night thankfully!

Since the Inverness 10k in October I've been to the gym about 4 times and I've put on 9lbs in the process.

Just as well well I've managed to obtain a treadmill for the spare room then. 8)

I'm going to eat a lot more (carbs especially) and continue to drink 4 pints of full fat milk a day. I'm more concerned with bulking up as I'm 6'3 and only about 155lbs (was only about 140lbs a year ago). I suppose weight gain isn't as important as putting on muscle really. The kickboxing is something I do for enjoyment and BJJ is something I've wanted to try for a while, and I can't see me stepping into a cage in all honesty.

I realise that's all a bit of a mess and I'm probably getting my wires crossed. You know your stuff, what would you recommend?

The problem is that, in order to put on weight, you need to be consuming more calories than you're burning (as I assume you probably already know). If you're doing 5k on the treadmill twice a week as well as kickboxing, fives and Jiu Jitsu you'll be burning loads of calories and would really need to eat a ridiculous amount in order to put on weight. Also, if you're lifting heavy in order to gain weight then adequate rest is vital and you wouldn't be getting that with all of that training.

As I said, it's really just about deciding which matters the most to you. I had to make a similar choice about a year ago; either I could get more into the gym and trying to gain weight or I could train more specifically for Muay Thai and become fitter and stronger without looking particularly well built. I ended up choosing Muay Thai, as that's the one that I actually enjoy: I didn't dislike the gym, but I'd rather be training for a sport and improving at that sport than looking 'ripped' for the sake of it (not that I have any issues with people who train for aesthetical reasons: what they do is really none of my business). That's not to say that gym training is useless for combat sports, obviously it's a really important part of any fighter's training regime, it's just that you're then training for power and explosive strength rather than muscle for its own sake.

If what you're wanting to do is build muscle then I'd advice three workouts a week with adequate rest in between (otherwise your body goes into a catabolic state, meaning that you burn lean tissue rather than fat) and restricting cardio to 1-2 sessions of high intensity interval training a week. Personally I think that you'd probably get more enjoyment out of continuing with the sports, but it goes without saying that it's entirely your business.

The problem is that, in order to put on weight, you need to be consuming more calories than you're burning (as I assume you probably already know). If you're doing 5k on the treadmill twice a week as well as kickboxing, fives and Jiu Jitsu you'll be burning loads of calories and would really need to eat a ridiculous amount in order to put on weight. Also, if you're lifting heavy in order to gain weight then adequate rest is vital and you wouldn't be getting that with all of that training.

As I said, it's really just about deciding which matters the most to you. I had to make a similar choice about a year ago; either I could get more into the gym and trying to gain weight or I could train more specifically for Muay Thai and become fitter and stronger without looking particularly well built. I ended up choosing Muay Thai, as that's the one that I actually enjoy: I didn't dislike the gym, but I'd rather be training for a sport and improving at that sport than looking 'ripped' for the sake of it (not that I have any issues with people who train for aesthetical reasons: what they do is really none of my business). That's not to say that gym training is useless for combat sports, obviously it's a really important part of any fighter's training regime, it's just that you're then training for power and explosive strength rather than muscle for its own sake.

If what you're wanting to do is build muscle then I'd advice three workouts a week with adequate rest in between (otherwise your body goes into a catabolic state, meaning that you burn lean tissue rather than fat) and restricting cardio to 1-2 sessions of high intensity interval training a week. Personally I think that you'd probably get more enjoyment out of continuing with the sports, but it goes without saying that it's entirely your business.

Apologies for using you as a sounding board but, as said above you seem to know about this stuff:

What gym work would you recommend alongside training for a combat sport? I always do a bit of cardio work in the gym (usually the cross trainer to save my knees and then the rower or some HIIT on the bike) as well as doing weight work. I vary the weights I do, either doing free weights (using dumbells and barbells on upper body and deadlifts), doing a circuit of the weight machines or using the cable machines. I tend not to try and hit specific groups of muscles, except I try and use the hip abduction/adduction machines as your hips are used all the time in Jiu Jitsu.

I'm out of green dots but cheers. I would probably say the fitness aspect is more important than the aesthetic stuff, I maybe wouldn't have said that a year ago but I no longer look like so much of a rake. I might lower my cardio training through the week though as the kickboxing is a very intense workout in that respect and the fives will provide a good amount of running too.

Apologies for using you as a sounding board but, as said above you seem to know about this stuff:

What gym work would you recommend alongside training for a combat sport? I always do a bit of cardio work in the gym (usually the cross trainer to save my knees and then the rower or some HIIT on the bike) as well as doing weight work. I vary the weights I do, either doing free weights (using dumbells and barbells on upper body and deadlifts), doing a circuit of the weight machines or using the cable machines. I tend not to try and hit specific groups of muscles, except I try and use the hip abduction/adduction machines as your hips are used all the time in Jiu Jitsu.

Im perhaps not as clued up as mhak but I fight at an amateur level in muay thai and I usually go for 3-4 weights sessions a week splitting it into chest,back and shoulders whilst doing squats on the chest and shoulders days. Basically as long as I get my squats, deadlifts and presses done im happy. As far as cardio goes im down the boxing 3-5 times a week depending how close it is to fights plus I try to fit in a couple of long runs and sprint sessions a week (praying for no ice in the next few weeks!)

I stopped doing weights totally for the few weeks leading upto my last fight as I had to make a ridiculous weight however this time around I dont have to worry so much. Some people say weights and muay thai dont mix but you can get stronger without bulking up IMO

I just wrote a really long answer to this then clicked the 'back' button by mistake and the whole thing's been wiped. sad.gif

As far as cardio goes, HIIT is more suited to combat sports than steady state cardio: it gives you the ability to work at near maximal intensity in short bursts as well as the stamina to keep it up, which is obviously a lot more transferrable than just being able to run for a long time. Complex training is also good in this respect: a series of different resistance exercises done back to back using the same piece of equipment each time, with no rests between lifts and minimal rest between circuits. This gives many of the benefits of resistance training whilst also building cardio.

As far as building strength without adding excessive weight goes, what you want is to be using low rep ranges (ie 1-6) and high weights, whilst focussing on the big compound lifts (squats, bench presses, deadlifts and pull-ups) and their variants. A guy called Martin Rooney has written a couple of really good books on the subject.

This answer's a lot shorter than the last one as I have to head out in ten minutes' time. Apologies.

I'm out of green dots but cheers. I would probably say the fitness aspect is more important than the aesthetic stuff, I maybe wouldn't have said that a year ago but I no longer look like so much of a rake. I might lower my cardio training through the week though as the kickboxing is a very intense workout in that respect and the fives will provide a good amount of running too.

Yeah, kickboxing and fives should easily be enough cardio I'd have thought. If you're doing that, plus BJJ, plus weights you'll also need a bit of downtime at some point. laugh.gif

How many protein shakes should I be drinking a day, six or seven?

It all depends on which brand you've got and what your aims are. I would always have one after a workout as it's a quick delivery of protein to your muscles. If you're looking to bulk up then take another one during the day. At bedtime if you do a morning workout or breakfast if you do an afternoon/evening session.

I'm using Cyclone and taking 2 a day. Mid-morning and after my workout at 6pm. Whatever you have, it should have recommended quantities on the side of the tub.

Edited by lanky_ffc

How many protein shakes should I be drinking a day, six or seven?

It all depends on which brand you've got and what your aims are...

laugh.gif

Serious answer to non-serious question: if your nutrition's adequate, you don't necessarily need protein shakes every day at all.

I absolutely knackered my legs after doing deadlfts yesterday :lol:

it's actually only the second time I've attempted them, but find I have that staisfying soreness today.

I want to just focus on compound lifts for my lifting, but I train alone and I'm new to lifting that doesn't involve barbells or machines - I attempted a squat last night with just the bar, and found it really awkward to hold.

Any other lifts I should be doing?