The get fit, stay fit thread

Have you ever thought about boxing training? I don't really pay much attention to my diet but in the space of a few months doing boxing training all my tops etc had gone from L or XL to Medium at the biggest. I'd lost a good bit of weight anyway from running/diet for a bit but the boxing just changed my body shape.

You see guys coming in who have clearly spent a lot of time doing weights and bulking up and it just knocks the excess off them.

Did you box in Edinburgh?

I have just joined the new Xercise4Less gym that's going to open in the centre of Glasgow at the end of January. I'm going to Vegas in the Summer next year with the missus and I am wanting to be in good shape for going there.

I am needing some tips on good healthy food that I can eat as I am a fussy bugger when it comes to food and want to make a good start on healthy eating during the month of January before I start going the gym.

I have seen a few people saying about blenders for making smoothies and also about taking powders that you can add to things.

I would really appreciate some tips on things like that.

I have just joined the new Xercise4Less gym that's going to open in the centre of Glasgow at the end of January. I'm going to Vegas in the Summer next year with the missus and I am wanting to be in good shape for going there.

I am needing some tips on good healthy food that I can eat as I am a fussy bugger when it comes to food and want to make a good start on healthy eating during the month of January before I start going the gym.

I have seen a few people saying about blenders for making smoothies and also about taking powders that you can add to things.

What are you aiming for? You looking to lose weight or bulk up?

Is there a promotion going for new members? Did you get much information by any chance?

I spotted them too but was too busy to talk. If it's another one of the 24/7 constantly chock-a-block gyms, then I'll probably leave it.

Is there a promotion going for new members? Did you get much information by any chance?

I spotted them too but was too busy to talk. If it's another one of the 24/7 constantly chock-a-block gyms, then I'll probably leave it.

It's £9.99 a month if you sign up for 12 months. The gym doesn't open up until January 30th. The deal I have got was that the first payment of £9.99 doesn't get taken until the end of February so I don't pay the £20 you pay straight away for the first month and the admin fee.

I go to Pure Gym in Paisley these days. It is perfect for me - new, good quality equipment and very quiet when I go (7am-8.30am). £10.99 a month promo rate until July makes it even better.

I have been a member of Pure Gym on Bath Street, The Gym on Jamaica Street and have used Nuffield Health in Finnieston and my current gym is by far the best for me.

I go to Pure Gym in Paisley these days. It is perfect for me - new, good quality equipment and very quiet when I go (7am-8.30am). £10.99 a month promo rate until July makes it even better.

I have been a member of Pure Gym on Bath Street, The Gym on Jamaica Street and have used Nuffield Health in Finnieston and my current gym is by far the best for me.

Same gym as me captain. When it's deid it's excellent. Peak period post work midweek is fucking insane though and just not worth the time. Early doors on a Saturday morning, free weights area is empty and I'm a happy chappy.

It's £9.99 a month if you sign up for 12 months. The gym doesn't open up until January 30th. The deal I have got was that the first payment of £9.99 doesn't get taken until the end of February so I don't pay the £20 you pay straight away for the first month and the admin fee.

Thanks for the answer.

Did you box in Edinburgh?

Holyrood on Gorgie Rd but it's closing (they're trying to find new premises). They've got one at Duddingston but it's a trek for me.

Had first fight at start of November. Hoped to have another in Feb but I've really buggered my shoulder so probably spring or summer before I can do another.

I know the place it's Brad Welsh's club. I'm starting at Lochend ABC in January. Good luck with the shoulder.

Yes - Brad is larger than life! A force of nature.

Enjoy Lochend - was speaking to someone the other day who trains there.

Cheers - dodgy shoulder is a good excuse for massages so not all bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Started a new programme tonight at the gym.

10 deadlifts

10 squats

10 Olympic lunges

Repeat

I started doing this with a 20kg barbell (haven't done freeweight in years so starting low.

8/6/4 Seated row

8/6/4 Lat pulldown

10 chin-ups

10 pull-ups

10 hanging leg raises

Finish off with a 15 minute HIIT session on the stationary bike.

Thoughts?