The get fit, stay fit thread

17 hours ago, Ross. said:

Been ultra consistent with my routine the last 6 months, weights 3x a week, cardio 3x a week, missing the occasional day at most. Probably in the best shape I have ever been in. Fucked my back yesterday picking up car keys that I dropped. Fairly sure it’s just a muscle twinge rather than something more serious, doctors tomorrow morning to get it checked. Hoping it just needs a few more days of rest, will be fucking raging if I need an extended break.

How long did it take to start feeling the benefit of that routine ?

31 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

How long did it take to start feeling the benefit of that routine ?

Hard to say to be honest. Since moving house almost 2 years ago and putting the fitness gear in one of the rooms in the basement I have been doing more than I had been previously, just much less organised. Not sure how much is down to that and how much is down to changing my approach. I’ve lost about around 5kg in weight since I started paying more attention, and as much as my diet is still relatively poor, I’ve changed a lot there too in that time.

Dr this morning wasn’t up to much. Explained the issue and he recommended acupuncture. Spent 45 minutes with needles in my back and I think being given some kind of electrical muscle stimulation. Odd feeling but no apparent difference. He has asked me to come back in tomorrow morning for more of the same, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to fill a hole in a routine I'm doing. I'm doing biceps, triceps, shoulders and core but need another group to work out as well. I don't want to do chest because its too much arsing about with the seats, lying down, using daft machines etc. I cant be fucked with it, I only want to do stuff I can do with barbells, dumbells and at a stretch the cable/rope machines. I need another set of 3 exercises I can do with barbells/dumbells to tie all the below together so I have 12 to do over 3 days.

Bicep:
Barbell Curl
Hammer Curl
Concentration Curl

Tricep:
Overhead Cable Extension
Tricep Pushdown
Dumbell Extension

Shoulder:
Overhead Press
Upright Row
Deltoid Raise

Core:
Squat
Deadlift
Barbell Row

I know you said you can't be arsed doing chest but the only major lift missing from that routine, as far as I can see and I'm an amateur, is bench press or any variations thereof.  While the chest is the main muscle group worked, the bench, like all of the big lifts, is a full body exercise and I'd recommend it.  I actually went several years without doing bench at all because I didn't really enjoy it and didn't have a bench in my home gym during the pandemic.  Since then I've started back on it and it's become one of my favourite lifts. 

The other thing you could add in is bodyweight stuff like dips, chins or pullups, if you were so inclined.

I only really do the big four (the big three plus press) so take my advice with a giant pinch of salt.

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

Looking to fill a hole in a routine I'm doing. I'm doing biceps, triceps, shoulders and core but need another group to work out as well. I don't want to do chest because its too much arsing about with the seats, lying down, using daft machines etc. I cant be fucked with it, I only want to do stuff I can do with barbells, dumbells and at a stretch the cable/rope machines. I need another set of 3 exercises I can do with barbells/dumbells to tie all the below together so I have 12 to do over 3 days.

Bicep:
Barbell Curl
Hammer Curl
Concentration Curl

Tricep:
Overhead Cable Extension
Tricep Pushdown
Dumbell Extension

Shoulder:
Overhead Press
Upright Row
Deltoid Raise

Core:
Squat
Deadlift
Barbell Row

You skipping leg day bro? I know doing squats for your core will help but I'd recommend picking 3 out of the following:

Goblet squats, leg extensions, leg curls, bulgarian split squats, weighted squats.

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I know you said you can't be arsed doing chest but the only major lift missing from that routine, as far as I can see and I'm an amateur, is bench press or any variations thereof.  While the chest is the main muscle group worked, the bench, like all of the big lifts, is a full body exercise and I'd recommend it.  I actually went several years without doing bench at all because I didn't really enjoy it and didn't have a bench in my home gym during the pandemic.  Since then I've started back on it and it's become one of my favourite lifts. 

The other thing you could add in is bodyweight stuff like dips, chins or pullups, if you were so inclined.

I only really do the big four (the big three plus press) so take my advice with a giant pinch of salt.

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried doing bench press before, but I couldn't grasp the form at all. I felt like a prat wobbling the bar about trying to do it so gave up. 

8 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

You skipping leg day bro? I know doing squats for your core will help but I'd recommend picking 3 out of the following:

Goblet squats, leg extensions, leg curls, bulgarian split squats, weighted squats.

Pretty much. 😂

Not against leg day, but pretty much want to just do stuff standing up with a barbell or dumbells.

1 minute ago, Jives Miguel said:

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried doing bench press before, but I couldn't grasp the form at all. I felt like a prat wobbling the bar about trying to do it so gave up. 

Pretty much. 😂

Not against leg day, but pretty much want to just do stuff standing up with a barbell or dumbells.

You can do all of those standing up. Goblet squats especially give a good burn. For leg extensions and curls just use the strap on the cable machine at the bottom rung.

2 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I felt a bit like that.  The best thing to do is to load the weight up gradually - bench press and upper body stuff in general can take time to build up.

There are millions of guides to benching online, I quite like these guys, American company run by healthcare professionals who are also barbell lifting coaches.

18 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Bicep:
Barbell Curl
Hammer Curl
Concentration Curl

Tricep:
Overhead Cable Extension
Tricep Pushdown
Dumbell Extension

Shoulder:
Overhead Press
Upright Row
Deltoid Raise

Core:
Squat
Deadlift
Barbell Row

I agree with ICTChris it's a major lift and you're missing out, big time, you either love flat bench or hate it usually, hitting the chest it's like you need to f**k about with form and you probably won't properly feel it unless you have some sort of arch in your back and pin your shoulders to the bench. 

Instead just do dumbbell press on an like a 30 degree incline, pec fly machine and then some high to low cable chest fly's then you're done. 

Don't want to sound like a know it all bastert, but I'd ditch barbell curls for dumbbell curls, probably would do them seated on an incline with your arms hanging  straight. Concentration curls I'd replace with single arm curls over a bench as the range of motion is better and you just cannot cheat here. Both quite humbling exercises, but bloody good ones. Or just fucking stand and curl dumbbells but would probably avoid a barbell in the beginning. 

Would also say, look at proper warmups especially prior to shoulders or you'll be in for a world of pain and frustration. Just google rotator cuff warmups, gyms will have bands or buy your own. Upright rows done wrong or with too much weight will f**k your shoulders right up as will overhead press if the form is wrong so be careful there. 

11 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

This guy Starting Strengths.

While I think the videos they do on the form of the lifts are valuable, I don't do the Starting Strength programme.  I'm not sure how sustainable it is.  I used to listen to their podcast but I got sick of Rippetoe droning on about liberals and vaccines and crypto and getting everyone on testosterone therapy.  

I like the Barbell Medicine guys, I put their bench press video above.  They were affiliated with Starting Strength but seperated and do their own thing now.  Their podcasts are really interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

For opening context, the lad who runs my gym recently re jigged the heavy bags. 

Today I threw a kick at one of the bags. Full force with the right leg, and on the way through, the front of my foot clipped the adjacent bag. 

Fuuuuuuuuck me 🤣

Very glad it wasn't busy and no one saw me very much on the verge of tears

Edited by Bairnardo

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

For opening context, the lad who runs my gym recently re jigged the heavy bags. 

Today I threw a kick at one of the bags. Full force with the right leg, and on the way through, the front of my foot clipped the adjacent bag. 

Fuuuuuuuuck me 🤣

Very glad it wasn't busy and no one saw me very much on the verge of tears

f**k. If you’re ankles are anything like mine, you’ll feel that for months.

18 minutes ago, mathematics said:

f**k. If you’re ankles are anything like mine, you’ll feel that for months.

Got away with it tbh, but at the time thought that was me. The pain shooting straight up the achilles was quite something! An absolute minter of an injury

• 1 month later...

Had been planning on adding to the watch thread early this year but ended up spending the money on these instead. The other set I have go up to 24.8kg each, these go up to 41.8kg. Still doing the same workout I have been doing for the last 18-24 months but had maxed out on a few of the sets and was finding it too easy. Only added a couple of kg onto the chest press and squats but finding a huge difference in the effort required. Onwards and upwards for another couple of years, I hope!

image.jpg

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, sugna said:

I can't be the only person who pressed the Play button to view that clip.

Clips of me after battering through that are available for a significant fee