The get fit, stay fit thread

Summer holidays nearly over.... A period in which I think iv piled a bit on with too much food and drink, and not enough gym or golf to counteract. 

Really feel like I need to start something new. My gym time of late has been a bit directionless and I know that when there's no goal or structure my work becomes less effective..... 

Considering a return to 5x5s as I do enjoy the buzz of lifting heavy, but then I did hurt myself last time on big squats and haven't done them since....

Anyone had some recent inspiration they want to share?

21 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Not directly what you're probably looking for but I've found a few youtube channels like the one below can give you a mental push to get started with physical exercise again.

https://www.youtube.com/@BetterThanYesterday

Quite often its a case of overthinking things and not actually doing anything that get you stuck in a rut and the longer you avoid going to the gym / other activity the less likey you are to go back to it.  It might just be a case of scheduling a time that you want to get back to it and making sure your gym stuff is visible so you can just pick it up and away you go.  No excuses!

2 minutes ago, greendot said:

Not directly what you're probably looking for but I've found a few youtube channels like the one below can give you a mental push to get started with physical exercise again.

https://www.youtube.com/@BetterThanYesterday

Quite often its a case of overthinking things and not actually doing anything that get you stuck in a rut and the longer you avoid going to the gym / other activity the less likey you are to go back to it.  It might just be a case of scheduling a time that you want to get back to it and making sure your gym stuff is visible so you can just pick it up and away you go.  No excuses!

Yeah il get back in there no question. The issue I'm currently having is what to do when I get there. As I say, when my training is sort of rudderless I tend not to push myself as hard I don't think. 

I need a plan. Might speak to the gym manager. That's his job I suppose 

On 13/08/2023 at 16:31, Bairnardo said:

My gym time of late has been a bit directionless and I know that when there's no goal or structure my work becomes less effective..... 

Considering a return to 5x5s as I do enjoy the buzz of lifting heavy, but then I did hurt myself last time on big squats and haven't done them since....

I've been doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 since April, loving it albeit I'm on cycle 5 (each cycle is 4 weeks) and can feel my lifts starting to plateau a bit as the lifts are getting heavier. One of the few programmes I've actually stuck with for an extended period of time and seeing results in terms of what I can lift. It's not based on maxing out but more so rep maxes so it's a decent goal setting split where if you managed X reps one week aim to beat that week after. 

On 09/07/2023 at 21:32, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Anyone recommend a good tasting shake / drink as a meal replacement? Looking to take the thinking out of lunch and avoid hunger-induced chippy buying 

I'd recommend Protein works. Their meal replacement shakes are excellent. I also have their savory range of meals too. 

On 13/08/2023 at 16:31, Bairnardo said:

Summer holidays nearly over.... A period in which I think iv piled a bit on with too much food and drink, and not enough gym or golf to counteract. 

Really feel like I need to start something new. My gym time of late has been a bit directionless and I know that when there's no goal or structure my work becomes less effective..... 

I've been following this program for a few months https://liftvault.com/programs/strength/juggernaut-method-base-template-spreadsheet/

It's a really good mix of volume at the start which I then find carries over to the heavier lifts towards the end. If you're just getting back into things then the 10 and 8 rep phases are probably a good starting point as the weight ramps up from the 5 rep phase onwards. I also find that the higher rep weeks let you dial in form with more manageable weight. 

I rarely test my 1RM (once a year, if that) but am tempted to try soon. I'm running this program for the 2nd time and setting rep PRs fairly regularly (particularly on bench and OHP) so would be quite interested to see exactly where I'm at. 

I'd previously followed 5/3/1 for years but had stopped making progress as it was all a bit samey and probably not enough volume for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever entered a powerlifting meet?  My lifting has been going pretty well but I often wonder if I should try and enter a competition to give me a bit of focus.  I would be a Masters Novice and wouldn't be looking to win a load of medals but think it could be fun.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Has anyone ever entered a powerlifting meet?  My lifting has been going pretty well but I often wonder if I should try and enter a competition to give me a bit of focus.  I would be a Masters Novice and wouldn't be looking to win a load of medals but think it could be fun.

What sort of weight do you need to be lifting to get involved at novice level?

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

What sort of weight do you need to be lifting to get involved at novice level?

I don't know tbh.

These are the results for Scottish Powerlifting - https://www.scottishpowerlifting.com/results/

For the Scottish Classic the biggest total was 625 kg for the big three - 222.5kg squat, 142.5 kg bench and 260 kg deadlift.  The average for male lifters was 490 kg.

The average for Masters is 545.5kg, mainly thanks to a couple of absolute savages securing 700+ totals. 

Edited by ICTChris

• 1 month later...
On 31/01/2011 at 00:43, die hard doonhamer said:

Hello there.

I've looked through the first 10 pages of threads for one like this but can't dind one.

I'm looking to lose some weight, currently just over 11 stone and want to get back down under 10. I need to change my diet an start exercising to do this. I'm sure there are others on here in the same boat, and we can share the most effective exercises and diets.

Mods feel free to merge with another thread if there is one.

I started this thread 12 years ago. Reading back on the opening post now, I’d love to be just over 11 stone again. Currently just under 13, which is where I’ve been consistently for the past 3 or 4 years or so. Need to shift a couple of them, but my control over my diet is embarrassingly poor. 

That's my task going to get a bit harder ,they're closing my local pool (Auchinleck) in 4 weeks . Going to be a 20 mile round trip to Loudon now instead of a 10 minute walk. Had been going for almost a year and was 5 stone down .dammit

• 4 weeks later...

I'm down about 5 or six kg in the last 3 or 4 weeks. Few interlinked reasons why I decided that it was time to get a bit serious, but I have been eating well, drinking less and been at the gym a lot. Fitness is really picking up. Back to doing 5k in 28 mins and will be below that on the next few attempts. Sharpening up on the heavy bag again too. Between 12 and 15 2 minute rounds before I do my run. 

Feel physically as good or better than at any point probably in the last 10 years

Back playing fives once a week for now on top of 3/4 gym sessions a week depending on work/circumstances. Have adopted heavy duty sets during lifting, couple warm up sets and then one set to failure on compound lifts trying to hit failure anywhere between 6-9 reps. Sometimes doing 2 sets to failure on isolation movements and see a good progression.

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Does anyone have a stretching routine they could recommend? Something for general flexibility, not too long. Just something to incorproate in at the start/end of a workout

Was about to try and describe what I do with bands, but this chap more or less covers it. Bands are great. 

My shoulders are like chocolate, so I do a lot of rotator cuff warmups with bands, arm 90 degree from body, elbow at 90 degree and then rotate using a band or light weight. Would just google rotator cuff warmup as my explanation is probably awful. 

On 21/11/2023 at 18:57, Bairnardo said:

I'm down about 5 or six kg in the last 3 or 4 weeks. Few interlinked reasons why I decided that it was time to get a bit serious, but I have been eating well, drinking less and been at the gym a lot. Fitness is really picking up. Back to doing 5k in 28 mins and will be below that on the next few attempts. Sharpening up on the heavy bag again too. Between 12 and 15 2 minute rounds before I do my run. 

Feel physically as good or better than at any point probably in the last 10 years

Do you run on the treadmill? For some reason I always find I’m much slower on that than when running outside (unless my Strava is fucked). I only ever go running with the gf and therefore unsure what my maximum would be at 5k distance, in fairness she is much better than me at longer distances but from about 10k down I’d be faster than her. Last one we did this week was ~23mins which felt not bad. 

I do feel I’ve plateaued massively in terms of lifting though. Can’t seem to progress past where I’m currently at - not sure if anyone has any tips on that front at all? Also find myself skipping leg day a lot as tend to be absolutely crippled for football on a Saturday with DOMS, which then just turns into a vicious cycle of not doing lower body 4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png

Properly imbalanced now where my bench is about the same as my squat.

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Do you run on the treadmill? For some reason I always find I’m much slower on that than when running outside (unless my Strava is fucked). I only ever go running with the gf and therefore unsure what my maximum would be at 5k distance, in fairness she is much better than me at longer distances but from about 10k down I’d be faster than her. Last one we did this week was ~23mins which felt not bad. 

I do feel I’ve plateaued massively in terms of lifting though. Can’t seem to progress past where I’m currently at - not sure if anyone has any tips on that front at all? Also find myself skipping leg day a lot as tend to be absolutely crippled for football on a Saturday with DOMS, which then just turns into a vicious cycle of not doing lower body 4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png

Properly imbalanced now where my bench is about the same as my squat.

What lifts are you at a plateau? 

Sometimes dealing with a plateau just means, bump the weight up and start trying to reach the reps you got at the previous weight or drop set it afterwards. Overhead press is a classic for this, so this is what I usually do. 

Legs you need to hit 2 or 3 times a week to avoid DOMS, I tend to not dedicate a leg day anymore and just do it after arms or back day or Sunday should be a rest day but sometimes just do legs instead. Creatine also helps avoid DOMS. 

Edited by thistledo

For the last 6 months I've been doing one set per exercise, picking a weight where I'll fail anywhere between 6-12 reps. Once you can do 12 reps really slow and controlled, you can move up a weight. 

I've found this has increased my strength like nothing else has and I'm able to lift weights I could barely look at about a year ago. Each session you'll usually go up in either weight or reps and I'm usually in and out of the gym in about 30-45 minutes. 

E.g. for chest, I would do nothing more than a set of incline bench press with dumbbells, followed with one set each of flyes and dips. Now and again I like to throw in a drop set.

Mind you, I've practically eliminated cardio and calorie control in that time and have lost whatever definition I had image.png.85b5d0968486be77a43bc64c6427eb7c.png

Been ultra consistent with my routine the last 6 months, weights 3x a week, cardio 3x a week, missing the occasional day at most. Probably in the best shape I have ever been in. Fucked my back yesterday picking up car keys that I dropped. Fairly sure it’s just a muscle twinge rather than something more serious, doctors tomorrow morning to get it checked. Hoping it just needs a few more days of rest, will be fucking raging if I need an extended break.