The get fit, stay fit thread

last night i legit managed one rep on the dumbell shoulder press before packing it in, second rep it was kinda locking barely above my shoulders, so i abandoned the whole routine for the night, didnt want to risk injury on any of the exerxises. Did a routine fine on monday, albeit im only aiming to do 1x6 at the moment (normally 2x6) two to three times a week, as was ill for about a month between dec/jan, lost a stone or so from stress and spells of lost appetite over the last 6 months and all.

No pain or discomfort, so im chalking it up to being tired.

Will try again tomorrow, need to sort out my sleep patterns i reckon, as theyre kinda fucked.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Sometimes got anxious about the constant need to struggle with extra weight. I follow the Canada Pharmacy health blog all the time, watch video on YouTube and try different diets all the time. However, it makes me work out regularly and watch my diet. So this is a good point for my health at least.   

Edited by Valenzzzuela

• 2 weeks later...

Not weighed myself but going by the drawstring in the middle of my coat I’ve taken 4 inches off my midriff in the last month and according to Mrs I “look like an ape again” so workouts doing the biz.

Finding that frozen fruit smoothies for breakfast have really kept me full up through the day so not really been snacking etc most days (still have the odd pig-out though).

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Not weighed myself but going by the drawstring in the middle of my coat I’ve taken 4 inches off my midriff in the last month and according to Mrs I “look like an ape again” so workouts doing the biz.

Finding that frozen fruit smoothies for breakfast have really kept me full up through the day so not really been snacking etc most days (still have the odd pig-out though).

Excellent. Ive a piano needs shifting.

The ads we all went ape for: The tea-swilling chimps from the classic PG  Tips adverts stole the nation's hearts, but the true story of their rescue  is far more touching |

When we moved house during lockdown I converted my garage into a little gym (squat rack, bench, barbell, some plates and my only set of 22.5kg dumbbells). Over time I added a couple of extra bits - tricep bar and EZ bar. My barbell was a standard 1 inch bar and plates were vinyl with encased concrete. The website I bought a lot of the stuff from said the bar was 10kg and my plates are quite wide meaning the maximum weight I could put on the bar was 120kg, and that's with the last plate pretty much clinging on by a thread. Over time I was able to hit triple figures in weight on the main lifts (bench, deadlift and squat - overhead press well off) but I was finding myself getting bored in a pokey balltic garage albeit convenient to nip out into during my lunch breaks or in the evenings with no monthly cost. I've relented and decided to join a proper gym. Been going 4 days a week for last 3 weeks and absolutely loving having better equipment, olympic barbells, machines, cables etc to train with. One things for sure there is no way my little set up at home was anywhere near the weight I thought it was. However my numbers are going up each week and managed a 170kg deadlift for a double last week which I was chuffed with. Great to have a range of dumbbells instead of my only 22.5kg dumbbells at home. I'm now in a pickle as to what to do with my set up in the garage, tempted to sell some stuff as it's in good nick albeit some of the concrete is starting to crumble inside the plates but I suspect my son might end up getting into lifting so might be a nice thing for him to have when he's old enough.

Weighed in this morning at 281.8 lbs so 18.2 lbs down since January 1st. Just over 8kg in 8 weeks so happy with that as usually I will go balls to the wall and lose a crazy amount by doing a mad amount of exercise and cutting calories.

Moved to a different online coach who has me on really high calories since January (3000 a day) with 15k steps a day as he wants me to lose it in a way that I won't balloon again when I get to my weight I'm happy with.

Runs are starting to get easier and the intensity of the weights sessions are going up so just need to keep winning the daily battles and it will add up.

• 1 month later...

After many months/years of not doing any cardio/conditioning, I did some sprint intervals last week.  I really enjoy them but feel a bit weird as you don't see people doing 50 yard all out sprints in public much.  Who cares though.

I went to do some some yesterday on my lunch break and my quad twinged, need to get a better warm up and stretch.

Does anyone have advice for someone like me who has done nothing particularly energetic for three years, and has spent most of that time sat at a desk?

I used to do a lot of judo and bouldering, so am inclined to return to both sports in the coming months. But I want to get ready for it - whenever I'm playing with the kids and do something even remotely athletic at the moment, I can feel it... sore joints, tweaked muscles, etc. So I know I can't just dive straight back into sport. 

Anyone had much success with stretching activities like yoga? 

3 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Does anyone have advice for someone like me who has done nothing particularly energetic for three years, and has spent most of that time sat at a desk?

I used to do a lot of judo and bouldering, so am inclined to return to both sports in the coming months. But I want to get ready for it - whenever I'm playing with the kids and do something even remotely athletic at the moment, I can feel it... sore joints, tweaked muscles, etc. So I know I can't just dive straight back into sport. 

Anyone had much success with stretching activities like yoga? 

Build up gradually. Start by walking as much as you can.
Leave the car behind when you go shopping. Just take a rucksack.

Use stairs instead of lifts/escalators.

Yoga and Pilates are great ways to get stronger core muscles and improve balance. Plenty of exercises on YouTube. Just buy a mat.

• 2 months later...
On 09/11/2022 at 17:26, Gaz said:

Anyone mind the wee triathlon from a few years' back? 1km row, 5km bike, 2km run?

I just had a go there and did it in 28:09 from start to finish.

Gonna try and do it once a week and see how much I can improve :)

26:23 was my 2019 time.

Let's see how we get on in 2023

19 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

How does one get over gym anxiety? I want to start lifting, but I feel very, very insecure and awkward in the free weight sections in gyms especially when they're busy.

What i would say is, the folk that are going to the gym are more bothered about what they are doing. When they are lifting especially, they are completely focused on the technique etc, they won’t be looking at you. They may glance across occasionally, but it will be more to see how much you are lifting. 

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

27:55 but felt every fucking second 🥵

Funny you posted that today. I was going to dig the thread out to announce that I have, after f**k knows how long off the running, knocked out a couple of treadmill 5ks this week and was sub 29 minutes. That not a huge amount away from what I was at when I was running, so clearly playing golf and drinking beer is some sort of health hack.....