The get fit, stay fit thread

58 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Are you Ricky Hatton philpy? That’s his exact weight/dimensions pre fight-camp. There’s a recent George Groves podcast with him and he talks about altering his lifestyle to get the weight down a bit and how it has helped him.

I'll have to check that out, the before and after training camp pics of Hatton during his career were amazing.  It can't be good having to do that and must take a significant toll.  

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I'll have to check that out, the before and after training camp pics of Hatton during his career were amazing.  It can't be good having to do that and must take a significant toll.  

Boxing thread tor this pish but Billy Joe Saunders’ broken eye socket against Canelo was attributed to rapid weight gain/loss. Fortunately, I don’t think philpy will be getting punched by Canelo any time soon.

Hatton is mod 40s now and the weight loss is more about general health, fitness for his coaching job and he also says how much sharper her is mentally now that he’s in physically better nick again. The George Groves podcast has some good episodes on training and fitness.

On 07/01/2023 at 20:33, Ekhibee88 said:

Thinking of doing a bit of walking to help me a be a bit more healthy. Is walking most days a good way to shed some pounds?

Depends very much how far you walk. I walk briskly for about 40-50 minutes a day. Really energising and you feel like you're doing something positive. Over weeks I guess it'll take off some pounds too. 

Google tells me (I know...) that walking a mile uses 100 calories. 

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

You can see how it burnt Hatton out towards the end of his career tbf. The miles were way ahead of the age by the time Senchenko pounded on his corpse. 

Anyway, I got back to the gym today and the gaffer has put together a gym challenge. Groups of 10 exercises which have to be assigned a number between 1000kg and 10000 kg and repped till completion. January is going to be a tough month for me, but I guess that's exactly the point. 

I'm also soon to be starting a martial arts class with my kids. Obvious limitations apply there but if I enjoy it, I will join the adult class. 

Does anyone get frustrated watching PTs? Clearly there are a lot of people who join the gym in January and fair play to them. Some gyms can be intimidating if not used to the environment. A lot of these people don’t really know what they are doing which is fine but I get frustrated that the PTs don’t take the time to show them where they are going wrong. 

Then there are PTs who are training people and whilst the person is doing a set they are scrolling on their phone not really paying attention. 

Going by my old gym (just changed) almost anyone can become a PT and start having client fairly quickly. I genuinely think being a PT would be my ideal job, however, if only it paid the same as my current job. 

12 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Are you Ricky Hatton philpy? That’s his exact weight/dimensions pre fight-camp. There’s a recent George Groves podcast with him and he talks about altering his lifestyle to get the weight down a bit and how it has helped him.

When Ricky Hatton was younger he could get away with burning the candle both ends and living a carefree Guinness, burgers and chips diet between fights.
As you get older it is so much harder to get the weight off which led to the extreme methods in the lead up to his last few fights which were physically and mentally draining before he even got in the ring. 
I’m sure he regrets some lifestyle choices but what a life he has lived.

He seems a lot happier these days.

You could see the mental torture late on his career as he was putting his health on the line for another payday forced by his management team.

I try and walk around 12,000 steps a day. Some days I’ve managed to exceed 20,000 steps.
I prefer walking in fresh air listening to music, audio books or podcasts than stuck in a gym doing weights or a swimming pool. 
I think I hate swimming pools from having to do endurance training as a youngster. I now actually detest swimming.

13 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Ha! No I'm not him. I had to do something though,  I was in danger of being wider than I am taller! Weighed in this morning,  3lb off, so good start. Got a watch to keep track of things, such as today where i covered 8.71 miles over the course of the day at work.

1 minute ago, philpy said:

Ha! No I'm not him. I had to do something though,  I was in danger of being wider than I am taller! Weighed in this morning,  3lb off, so good start. Got a watch to keep track of things, such as today where i covered 8.71 miles over the course of the day at work.

I never used to wear a watch for many years.

But since a fcuking major health “issue” I finally succumbed after years of nagging and got a watch with fitness app and heart and oxygen monitor it has really helped focus the mind and helped improve my levels of fitness. 

3 hours ago, Aufc said:

Does anyone get frustrated watching PTs? Clearly there are a lot of people who join the gym in January and fair play to them. Some gyms can be intimidating if not used to the environment. A lot of these people don’t really know what they are doing which is fine but I get frustrated that the PTs don’t take the time to show them where they are going wrong. 

Then there are PTs who are training people and whilst the person is doing a set they are scrolling on their phone not really paying attention. 

Going by my old gym (just changed) almost anyone can become a PT and start having client fairly quickly. I genuinely think being a PT would be my ideal job, however, if only it paid the same as my current job. 

You’d be shocked with how uneducated and generally disinterested a lot of “PT’s” actually are regarding training and healthy living. See so many of these daft 12 week intense courses advertised online which allows people to get some sort of PT qualification which in my eyes is nowhere near enough time for clients to pay a fairly pricey service 

I feel like there’s a mass influx of PT’s nowadays just looking to make a quick buck for a limited service especially when it comes to managing and developing a rapport with clients. 

Edited by qpfc

8 hours ago, Aufc said:

Some of the stuff my mate would be doing and I'd just be like "WTF?" and she'd say Roger told her to do it. £120 a month and the boys well proportioned himself. He's obviously got a degree of knowledge but it worries me a bit when A) Some of the stuff he was telling her to do and B.) His other role/job is delivering fast food.

47 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

He's obviously got a degree of knowledge but it worries me a bit when A) Some of the stuff he was telling her to do and B.) His other role/job is delivering fast food.

That’s a very clever business model when you think about it? 

During the day train the ones wanting to lose weight at the gym and then at night feeding the next set of recruits.

Never ending business model. 

Proper entrepreneurship 👏 👏 

ETA - he also probably gets to pump the ones he likes! And he’s getting paid for it.

Edited by Molotov

On 08/01/2023 at 17:53, philpy said:

Got a shock last Monday - went back on the scales, 15st 2.5lbs. I'm just over 5'6 in height, so that's brutal. Signed up for the country walking "walk 1000 miles challenge", and managed 50 miles in a week so far. Putting money in a tin - £10 for every 10 miles, £20 for 100 miles. Giving me something to work towards whilst getting a bit of weight shifted.  I've done it before from this starting weight, got down to 13st but couldn't get under that weight and got a bit frustrated. 

Mate don't get frustrated if you can't get under 13st, even if your only 5'6 you need to remember underweight can be as bad, especially if it leads to lethargy and then you dont keep up regular exercise

Plus it's a b*****d on the mental side if you constantly feel like you havent met a target etc

For example, i work on my feet, regular do over 25k steps a day, plus play football once a week and run 5k once a week if not more (depending on work) my diet isnt the best but its not the worst, food wise im good its just the shite in between meals im cutting out

6ft2 and weigh almost 14.5 stone, and apparently the NHS will say im overweight, which is fucking laughable because apart from a slight bit round my gut i genuinely dont have anywhere else id say is fat, 

Screenshot_20230110-094536_MapMyRun.thumb.jpg.5ebb53849f865ea78d7ff90e9323c38d.jpg

Managed this today, i defo dont feel overweight if anything i feel a bit lethargic at times from not eating enough during work

Point being, if you hit 13st again and you feel good doing your walking, exercises etc, then dont beat yourself up if you can't get lower, hit a weight that you feel good at, and then just focus on keeping at that level

I always think it’s best to not get hung up on weight. It’s a decent enough indicator of how you are doing but there are so many variables that can affect it. I find the best way is to look at yourself in the mirror or even take periodic progress photos

16 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I always think it’s best to not get hung up on weight. It’s a decent enough indicator of how you are doing but there are so many variables that can affect it. I find the best way is to look at yourself in the mirror or even take periodic progress photos

Although I broadly agree with this, the existence of anorexia is an inhibitor.

I am 5’8 and My weight is the thing i struggle with. I can follow a good diet/nutrition plan for so long and then as soon as i have a few bad weeks, it doesn’t take long for me to get well above 13 stone. I don’t know why this number bugs me, but i always feel better about myself when i am in the 12.2-12.10 range. After excess at Christmas, i am back on it, doing my 4 gym sessions per week. But my biggest downfall is still chocolate.