The get fit, stay fit thread

On 12/06/2022 at 21:11, Bairnardo said:

Carrying on with the attempt to train some kicks, I got a list of 6 sets of combos to do as my bag routine, and also to do a few rounds of floor grappling with a sandbag. Think the bag weighs about 80 kilo. Absolute fucking killer.

Think my shins are slowly beginning to respond to the punishment though.

Stick at it. You’ll be slamming doors on your shins for conditioning in no time.

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I have always thought I ate enough protein but I decided to measure how much I was eating and I was actually eating a bit less than I'd thought, so I've started tracking how much I eat.  Anyone got good practical tips for getting more protein into the diet?  

Fat free greek yoghurt is cheap, tasty (I eat it with fruit), requires no preparation... and is 10% protein.

I have always thought I ate enough protein but I decided to measure how much I was eating and I was actually eating a bit less than I'd thought, so I've started tracking how much I eat.  Anyone got good practical tips for getting more protein into the diet?  

Probably not for everyone, but i enjoy steak wraps for lunch. About 70g of just frying steak, onions and cheese (15g) topped with montreal seasoning and Thai sweet chilli sauce.

Was already getting to be a bit of a fat, unfit b*****d before covid hit and lockdown basically nuked whatever fitness I had left. I've been going back to the gym and getting back into running and I've given myself a target of doing a 5k in under 30 minutes (on the treadmill) by the end of 2022. Managed to get down to 34:07 today, which is over 10 mins faster than my first full 5k of the year a few months ago, so I'm getting there.
I used to be able to do a 5k in about 22/23 minutes. Jesus, I did not appreciate how fast that was at the time.

I see that you are an east fife fan. Not sure if you are based in methil or surrounding areas, but there is a running group called “Leven Las Vegas” that meet every Tuesday night and go for runs.

21 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Are you trying to hit your daily protein targets via food alone? If so kudos to you, I should be taking in about 165g of protein a day which would cost me a fooking fortune in food so I have no alternative but to throw in some protein powders here and there throughout the day.

44 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Are you trying to hit your daily protein targets via food alone? If so kudos to you, I should be taking in about 165g of protein a day which would cost me a fooking fortune in food so I have no alternative but to throw in some protein powders here and there throughout the day.

Applied nutrition do a really good protein that I take about 3/4 scoops of a day. 82 calories per serving for a 20g hit of protein. I struggle to get protein in otherwise or you end up spending a fortune on yoghurts etc to make it up.

56 minutes ago, Raithie said:

I use some whey protein here and there as well.  I had some in my porridge this morning.  I'm not a massive fan of it but it does the job.

It's just a case of making sure there's enough protein in each meal.  So for my breakfast today I had a bowl of porridge with a scoop of whey, that's about 25g of protein in total.  For lunch I had two mackerel fillets with some salad, that's 50g and then a bowl of Skyr and blueberries, another 17g.

Dunno what I'm having for dinner, will see how it goes.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I use some whey protein here and there as well.  I had some in my porridge this morning.  I'm not a massive fan of it but it does the job.

It's just a case of making sure there's enough protein in each meal.  So for my breakfast today I had a bowl of porridge with a scoop of whey, that's about 25g of protein in total.  For lunch I had two mackerel fillets with some salad, that's 50g and then a bowl of Skyr and blueberries, another 17g.

If you can find a protein that mixes in well enough you can get a bit of coconut milk in with your protein, stir it and  put it in with the porridge. It tastes like cheesecake if you get a protein you can find that mixes enough. I used one called Ultra Niron but they changed their recipe recently so doesn't taste as nice. It mixed in perfectly too.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Do you know how much protein you should be taking in a day? 

I've tried some whey in my porridge but find it utterly rank so generally have a shake and toast and eggs for breakfast. My morning whey equates to 38g and on top of the eggs it's a hefty hit first thing in the morning. Peanut butter and an apple is my go to snack or some beef jerky however the latter I could take or leave depending on the brand. Lunch will be a chicken breast and some rice (cliche muscle building meal I know but the chicken breast alone is about 30g) or a Pot of Gold (a bit pricey though but helluva convenient - https://www.mygsn.co.uk/collections/bundles/). Whilst I know protein bars can be filled with sugar I might have one later in the afternoon, some of them have a decent amount of protein if you believe the labels. I'll take a post training 'all in one' shake which has about 30g protein and 5g creatine and 3g Leucine in it. Tea will be either another chicken breast/steak/fish or something meat related and before bed I'll usually have some cottage cheese due to it's casein content so I'm getting a good slow release of protein during the night. I did used to take ZMA's before bed however you can't take anything dairy related on top of this so had to stop the cottage cheese for a while. ZMA's though are the dugs if you want a deep sleep to help with recovery. 

5 hours ago, Raithie said:

Do you know how much protein you should be taking in a day? 

I've tried some whey in my porridge but find it utterly rank so generally have a shake and toast and eggs for breakfast. My morning whey equates to 38g and on top of the eggs it's a hefty hit first thing in the morning. Peanut butter and an apple is my go to snack or some beef jerky however the latter I could take or leave depending on the brand. Lunch will be a chicken breast and some rice (cliche muscle building meal I know but the chicken breast alone is about 30g) or a Pot of Gold (a bit pricey though but helluva convenient - https://www.mygsn.co.uk/collections/bundles/). Whilst I know protein bars can be filled with sugar I might have one later in the afternoon, some of them have a decent amount of protein if you believe the labels. I'll take a post training 'all in one' shake which has about 30g protein and 5g creatine and 3g Leucine in it. Tea will be either another chicken breast/steak/fish or something meat related and before bed I'll usually have some cottage cheese due to it's casein content so I'm getting a good slow release of protein during the night. I did used to take ZMA's before bed however you can't take anything dairy related on top of this so had to stop the cottage cheese for a while. ZMA's though are the dugs if you want a deep sleep to help with recovery. 

I'm aiming at 160g a day.  

Peanut butter and apple is a good shout, I try to eat fruit for my snacks.  I prefer biltong to jerky, jerky has loads of sugar.  

14 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I'm aiming at 160g a day.  

Peanut butter and apple is a good shout, I try to eat fruit for my snacks.  I prefer biltong to jerky, jerky has loads of sugar.  

Hard as to get that amount of protein in, on top of chicken/beef and eggs I try and eat that skyr yogurt, cashews as a snack and peanut butter but still needing protein bars or shakes to make up the difference. 

Trying for more calories but really difficult to do without eating shite or feeling horrendous.

9 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Not sure if they'll be in the UK but Lidl sells packs of 3 protein bars for about 2.50. 45g bars each, 22.5g protein and only 14g carbs. The crispy vanilla is really tasty. 

Haven't seen them here I don't think. They do however sell Graham's 25 for 75p

https://www.grahamsfamilydairy.com/our-products/protein-25/protein-25-pouch-peach/

Just under 25g protein, 170 calories, 15.5g carbs and less than 1g of fat. The peach ones are nice, the strawberry ones are a bit meh. 

Aldi does one as well that's actually lower in calories: 

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-brooklea-protein-strawberry-yogurt-pouch-200g/4088600354835

Main problem is that both of them get absolutely fucking raided when they're available and therefore are often sold out very quickly. 

Edited by Michael W

45 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I detest peanut butter. I just can’t stomach it. But then I’ve always hated peanuts from an early age. I did try peanut butter again a year or so back but it just gave me the boak.🤮

Any decent healthy alternatives?

Almond butter? Cashew butter?