The get fit, stay fit thread

31 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

I am 5’8 and My weight is the thing i struggle with. I can follow a good diet/nutrition plan for so long and then as soon as i have a few bad weeks, it doesn’t take long for me to get well above 13 stone. I don’t know why this number bugs me, but i always feel better about myself when i am in the 12.2-12.10 range. After excess at Christmas, i am back on it, doing my 4 gym sessions per week. But my biggest downfall is still chocolate. 

I like chocolate as well. However, whilst I will still have the odd bit of the really good stuff, I substitute it for 70% stuff. So I will melt it in the microwave and mix it through some skyr which is a decent night time snack and is healthy

I have a rather embarrassing question for a man of my age...

I hate fruit. Always have. The texture of a lot of them gives me the absolute boak. I've never found a fruit that I could stand.

I like smoothies, but have been told my Mrs Beesher they should be avoided because of sugar content etc.

Is it better to have 250ml of sugary smoothie every day or keep my fruit free regime?

17 minutes ago, beesher said:

I hate fruit. Always have. The texture of a lot of them gives me the absolute boak. I've never found a fruit that I could stand.

I like smoothies, but have been told my Mrs Beesher they should be avoided because of sugar content etc.

Is it better to have 250ml of sugary smoothie every day or keep my fruit free regime?

Read an article about avoiding smoothies for one thing, sugar content and the other the act of blitzing it all together and not chewing food isn't actually beneficial for our digestive system and teeth. Can't find said article so could be pish. If you don't eat fruit and eat vegetables then it's not the end of the world. 

I had the flu before christmas (awful) and now have this lingering cough, not lifted anything heavy in about 3 weeks and worried the motivation for it all is fading, just can't shift this cough though which makes it hard to breath through heavy lifts. Not sure what to do man, just fight through it and go to gym anyway?

1 hour ago, thistledo said:

Read an article about avoiding smoothies for one thing, sugar content and the other the act of blitzing it all together and not chewing food isn't actually beneficial for our digestive system and teeth. Can't find said article so could be pish. If you don't eat fruit and eat vegetables then it's not the end of the world. 

I had the flu before christmas (awful) and now have this lingering cough, not lifted anything heavy in about 3 weeks and worried the motivation for it all is fading, just can't shift this cough though which makes it hard to breath through heavy lifts. Not sure what to do man, just fight through it and go to gym anyway?

Probably not for heavy weights, but I had a bad cough once that seemed to last for several weeks, and eventually said f**k this and went back to boxing and playing squash. IMO, it helped clear it up. I am big believer in power through where possible. 

2 hours ago, beesher said:

I think the benefits of fruit come from having it whole, I.e the fibre in it helps your stomach etc.

I’d say you are better off without it tbh, lots of the nutrition can come from other things such as veg and even whole, I don’t think a lot of fruit is all that good for you if you are trying to lose weight - there is a lot of sugar in most fruits. 

2 hours ago, thistledo said:

Deadlifts, heavy deadlifts.  If I'm ever feeling a bit no well, hungover or just that I can't be bothered with the gym, this is my go to.  

Also the easiest compound to bail out on if you get hit with a sudden wave of fatigue.

32 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think the benefits of fruit come from having it whole, I.e the fibre in it helps your stomach etc.

I’d say you are better off without it tbh, lots of the nutrition can come from other things such as veg and even whole, I don’t think a lot of fruit is all that good for you if you are trying to lose weight - there is a lot of sugar in most fruits. 

This is a myth, apparently. Blending fruits (so long as you’re not adding shite) makes no more difference to the fibre content than does chewing and letting your saliva and stomach acids batter them.

But it’s true enough that lots of fruits are high in sugar and can be high in calories. And the sugar can be bad for your teeth (but then dentists literally don’t want us swallowing anything other than distilled water…).

Edited by Antlion

I think that the issue is that pre packaged fruit smoothies can be high in sugar and calories. I think that there is credible research about drinks high in calories not impacting hunger- for example so if you consume three cans of Coke in a day that’s 400 calories and the Coke isn’t satiating so you eat the same amount of food. Same goes for drinking flavoured, sugared coffee or smoothies/fruit juice. 

Fruit is like everything. Eat it in moderation and it’s great. Stuff like berries is pretty low in calories unless eaten in huge quantities 

If you don’t like the texture of fruit then could get some berries and mash them up and put them through porridge. 

19 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Probably not for heavy weights, but I had a bad cough once that seemed to last for several weeks, and eventually said f**k this and went back to boxing and playing squash. IMO, it helped clear it up. I am big believer in power through where possible. 

18 hours ago, the aggressive beggar said:

Deadlifts, heavy deadlifts.  If I'm ever feeling a bit no well, hungover or just that I can't be bothered with the gym, this is my go to.  

Also the easiest compound to bail out on if you get hit with a sudden wave of fatigue.

Time to power through today I think! 

31 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Time to power through today I think! 

A decent rule of thumb is if your symptoms are below the neck (chesty cough, aching joints etc.) then you're better resting. If it's from the neck up (tickly cough, runny nose, sneezing - basically a cold) then you should be good to power through. 

Just now, Ron Aldo said:

A decent rule of thumb is if your symptoms are below the neck (chesty cough, aching joints etc.) then you're better resting. If it's from the neck up (tickly cough, runny nose, sneezing - basically a cold) then you should be good to power through. 

I'd put it in the realm of chesty coughs, I reckon I've got to give it a go, feel like I'm wasting away. Today is the best I've felt in weeks probably. I'm mega fed up of the winter colds and plagues this godforsaken island has to offer. 

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Going for some lunchtime bench presses today.  Had some time off in January and squatted for the first time in two weeks on Monday night, had a touch of DOMs since.

I know the feeling. Took two weeks off the gym during the festive period. Squatted last Friday, took until today for DOMs to subside

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2023 at 15:38, KD1711 said:

Been up and down like a yoyo in the last year -

started January 1st last year at 133 kilos, went down to 115 kg then upto 129kg in June. I ran my ultra marathon in June then managed to trim down to 110kg in September for the Great North Run, after that I had a lot of shit from a friend who I'd lent a sizeable chunk of cash to had gambled his inheritance so from September to December I was constantly stress eating and had chucked exercise.

Weighed in on January 1st at 136kg so was a shocker standing on scales, first week back at it this week and have did well so just need to focus on trimming a couple of kg a week and getting the weight back off and keeping it off, makes my runs so much easier when I'm hauling 25 kgs less 🤣.

Sitting at 129kg today so good to get out of the 130s haha, next stop sub 120. 

Definitely feeling better on my runs and so just need to be consistent with the diet, gym and runs. The running feels much better for me when I am carrying less timber as I am going faster and finding it easier than going out a run at 130 + kg so just need to keep it up.

Yesterday after putting our son to bed my wife declared she couldnt' be bothered cooking so I nipped out and we got a takeaway (burger and fries for me).  I didn't want to miss a workout so I waited for an hour and went out the gym.  I was doing bench press and added in the arm curl machine at the end as I was curious what I could curl on that.  Then I went home and had a protein bar and pouch post-workout, giving me a cheeky 50g of protein.

I would not recommend this dietary pattern - significantly sore stomach today and overnight.  I think I might have pulled a muscle in my abdomen doing the curls and having gone back and worked out today that I probably ate 100g of protein between 7pm and 10pm which has probably not done me good in that area.