The get fit, stay fit thread

What should you be aiming for percentage-wise for your macronutrients, when trying to gain mass? The myfitnesspal app has me at 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein, is that right?

That's the same breakdown for me also; however I'm maintaining my weight, not increasing it. I'd imagine if you want to increase it you should aim for higher levels of protein/fat than carbohydrates.

What should you be aiming for percentage-wise for your macronutrients, when trying to gain mass? The myfitnesspal app has me at 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein, is that right?

If you want to be putting on mass then you need to bashing lots and lots of calories

Anything you want as long as protein is high. It's overall calories intake and expenditure that counts.

Exactly.

I'm 6'4 and around 17 stone. I smoke and drink. I've been quite stocky for my whole life though, so I'm not really sure how much I'd be looking to lose if I made an effort as I've always known myself as pretty fat.

I do need to start exercising a lot more than one game of the most low tech 5 aside football ever per week though. Perhaps playing more football or going light jogs will make me feel a bit better about myself.

It would be a completely different story if I was 5'4 though, as my excess weight would be more blatant than a Didier Drogba dive, but I reckon I sort of get away with the weight more cause of my height.

fatter than akinfenwa

It's a fact that a large surplus isn't necessary to add lean mass and those that ignore it tend to end up as fat c***s. Especially if you're training naturally.

It's when people eat big while also drinking around 3 protein shakes a day without putting in the required training at the gym to actually make it worthwhile; prime candidates for becoming fat b*****ds.

It's a fact that a large surplus isn't necessary to add lean mass and those that ignore it tend to end up as fat c***s. Especially if you're training naturally.

Yep, you might be able to train easier and feel stronger but you will get fat.

Trust me just did it. Stick to high protein natural foods and supplement with whey protein moderately.

Was drinking shakes combined with fat and it did more overall harm than good. After a couple of weeks of cutting back I recovered just in time and lost a few pounds. Training is harder but losing fat.

It's all up to the person though sure get huge arms and chest and a massive belly. Seen plenty of these types working as bouncers etc.

Wish youd stop saying this on here as its complete shite and a quick way to turn into a fat b*****d.

Haha it is really not. If you are training with high intensity and eating lots of good food then you will gain mass. You wont gain decent mass by eating 2000 calories a day.

Haha it is really not. If you are training with high intensity and eating lots of good food then you will gain mass. You wont gain decent mass by eating 2000 calories a day.

I understand what youre saying but your words were

"If you want to be putting on mass then you need to bashing lots and lots of calories "

This is broscience bollocks that got dismissed sometime around the late 80s. We've been here before and if youre looking to add mass up the calories by 500 per day for a couple of months. This will make a noticeable difference in terms of add lean mass. If after this time you fell youre not getting too fat up it by another 500 and so on.

It is possible to gain decent mass eating 2000 cals a day depending on your starting point. I'm eating in a calorie deficit (not much more than 2000 cals/day), losing body fat and gaining lean mass every week. This wont last forever of course but i think its possible to do so for anyone above 10-12% body fat.

I guess it depends on what the definition of mass is to people. I am not talking about getting ridiculously fat. Just talking about getting a decent level of muscle on. I don't believe that this can be achieved on a calorie deficit.