Boardwalk Empire

Quentin Taranbino

I see HBO have posted on Facebook that Season five will be the last..

Season 5 expected for around September time in the US. A long wait.

Agreed that I'm actually quite glad season five will be the last. It's been excellent and would rather they finished on a high note than dragging it out.

Who will die, I'm expecting a blood bath near the end?

Killing off the main character at the end of a good series is the way to go, so Nucky for me.

As for Season 4 I actually quite enjoyed it. Apart from Eli killing the federal agent none of the personal fueds were really settled so it could lead to a cracking final season. Richard will be a big miss though and with Eli moving to Chicago & Capone taking charge there I thnk they will focus more on what's happening there compared to Atlantic City.

Agree that it should end with the next series, it's been a brilliant show though, for me just behind the Sopranos as the best ever although see what the finale brings.

Really enjoyed S4 , kind of flew by a little but some of the characters (especially the Chicago crew) have developed well, Chalky White has had a great series too.

Shame about Richard but in all honesty it was never gonna end well for him, great character though.

I hope they don't go out the same way the Sopranos did with an open ending for Nucky, Either he is killed or sets up a new life with Sally or perhaps Margaret will come back in it for him.

• 7 months later...

I just got round to watching the second series over the last few nights, really enjoyed it, even though I don't like many of the characters and their part in the story.

As for the longevity of the series, well the way I see it, it is the story of Rothstein, Capone and Luciano before their criminal activities came to be a matter of public record. So whether it can last much longer I don't know. I appreciate Thompson (Johnston) himself had a long life after prohibition, but if were in any way exciting, we would know about him before this series started.

Just as I thought then?

I actually only watched series 4 last week, never got round to watching it for one reason or another. I found a couple of the storylines painfully dull. Daughter's story being the worst. Just couldn't engage in that storlyine at all.

Why does J Edgar Hoover get portrayed as an annoying twat every time he is played on screen, but in a different way every time?

Patricia Arquette's heaving breasts were my favourite new characters in that series.

Looking forward, I suspect it will all culminate at the St Valentine's Day massacre for some reason, which will mean more screen time in Florida as well for Stephen Graham hopefully.

Just as I thought then?

I actually only watched series 4 last week, never got round to watching it for one reason or another. I found a couple of the storylines painfully dull. Daughter's story being the worst. Just couldn't engage in that storlyine at all.

Why does J Edgar Hoover get portrayed as an annoying twat every time he is played on screen, but in a different way every time?

Patricia Arquette's heaving breasts were my favourite new characters in that series.

Looking forward, I suspect it will all culminate at the St Valentine's Day massacre for some reason, which will mean more screen time in Florida as well for Stephen Graham hopefully.

I'm not up to date at all, still to watch season 4 but I've thought since the first season that it would all end here too.

Somewhat of a slow opener to the final season. Quite enjoyed the flashbacks to Nucky's childhood mind you. His new bodyguard seems like a bit of a psycho. Did anyone find it difficult to make out what Chalky & the black guy that he escaped with were saying to each other or was it just me? The hit on New York boss Joe Masseria orchestrated by 'lucky' Luciano took me a bit by surprise.

Edited by YER SISTERS YER MAW

• 3 weeks later...

Episode 5 (last nights in US, this weeks in UK) was easily the best of the season so far. So many classic moments

- I loved the Richard Harrow tease at the very start of the episode with someone under the boardwalk who is 'alive'

- Then realising that the guy investigating is a young Nucky

- The actor absolutely nailed the part of a young Nucky btw. Not just physically but all the mannerisms and little characteristics throughout episode

- Constipated Al Capone :lol:

- The meeting of Nucky and Chalky in the club was great

- Van Alden to Eli "I will not be ruled by fear" "HUSBAND" "Coming dear" :lol::lol: possibly the funniest moment ever in Boardwalk

- The whole dinner scene was fantastic as was the after dinner revelations

- The attempted assassanation of Nucky again

Only thing I couldn't care about is the Gillian Darmondy stuff. It's so unconnected to everything else

All in all - fantastic episode. Boardwalk at its best

^^^ agreed. The guy they have playing a younger Nucky, is unbelievably good. Everything from the voice to the facial expressions. Not quite sure why Gillians getting as much airtime though. Shes one of the characters that ive never really taken to and her story seems out of place for the last few seasons

Edited by Twinkle

Episode 5 (last nights in US, this weeks in UK) was easily the best of the season so far. So many classic moments

- I loved the Richard Harrow tease at the very start of the episode with someone under the boardwalk who is 'alive'

- Then realising that the guy investigating is a young Nucky

- The actor absolutely nailed the part of a young Nucky btw. Not just physically but all the mannerisms and little characteristics throughout episode

- Constipated Al Capone :lol:

- The meeting of Nucky and Chalky in the club was great

- Van Alden to Eli "I will not be ruled by fear" "HUSBAND" "Coming dear" :lol::lol: possibly the funniest moment ever in Boardwalk

- The whole dinner scene was fantastic as was the after dinner revelations

- The attempted assassanation of Nucky again

Only thing I couldn't care about is the Gillian Darmondy stuff. It's so unconnected to everything else

All in all - fantastic episode. Boardwalk at its best

Van Alden was in top form in that episode. Also liked his comment to his son when he was playing his recorder. 'Chester, that would sound better much further away'! :lol:

Also have to agree with others that the guy who plays the young Nucky as deputy sheriff looks the spit of a young Steve Buscemi, same horse teeth the lot.

Van Alden was in top form in that episode. Also liked his comment to his son when he was playing his recorder. 'Chester, that would sound better much further away'! :lol:

Also have to agree with others that the guy who plays the young Nucky as deputy sheriff looks the spit of a young Steve Buscemi, same horse teeth the lot.

Add into that the line of not living In fear. To which be bounces straight to his wife's call.