Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

We decided to go back and watch all the MCU movies starting from the beginning.

With The Incredible Hulk not being on Disney+, we had to watch a DVD like absolute luddites

I actually enjoyed edward norton as the hulk, the film was pretty good as well, although imo ruffalo looks a more hulk like hulk if you get me lol, 

Finished Hawkeye yesterday. Fantastic cast, poorly served by the script. 

I was pleased to see Fisk again, but to give a character and actor like that a single episode jarred a bit. My youngest, who is to young to watch Daredevil, had no clue who he was or why his suit repelled arrows. Should have had far more screen time. 

It was OK overall but had huge potential. 

The Batman - meh it was fine a solid 6/10 movie. Pattison was actually ok as Batman maybe because there were such low expectations for it. I like that this Batman was still a bit rusty/wet behind the ears rather than being a guy that just comes in and wipes everyone out with ease.

I refuse to believe Colin Farrell actually was the penguin 😂.

The negatives imo:- it was literally too dark in places like having to strain your eyes to see what’s happening. It’s too long (which you can say about 90% of movies approaching 3 hours) although at the same time thinking back I don’t know what bits you could trim off. The guy that played Riddler was awful imo they should have just gave Jonah Hill whatever it is he actually wanted to take the role.

9 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

The Batman - meh it was fine a solid 6/10 movie. Pattison was actually ok as Batman maybe because there were such low expectations for it. I like that this Batman was still a bit rusty/wet behind the ears rather than being a guy that just comes in and wipes everyone out with ease.

I refuse to believe Colin Farrell actually was the penguin 😂.

The negatives imo:- it was literally too dark in places like having to strain your eyes to see what’s happening. It’s too long (which you can say about 90% of movies approaching 3 hours) although at the same time thinking back I don’t know what bits you could trim off. The guy that played Riddler was awful imo they should have just gave Jonah Hill whatever it is he actually wanted to take the role.

It could definitely have done with a few more long lingering shots on f**k all happening…

Spoiler

I didn’t mind Dano’s performance, but that character wasn't the Riddler. And Oswald was absolutely wasted. I know they wanted to set the scene for him taking over, but fucking hell.

And then, of course, after 3 hours of bum-numbing pish, and two shite imitations of classic Rogues, there’s a guy with a big quiff and a maniacal laugh in Arkham. He doesn’t need to be in every fucking version, and you don’t need to use him as a “Thanks for sitting through that, here’s the Joker” .

Just meh. Cut an hour of it and it might be “Yeah ok it was fine”

Thought The Batman was really good. Very serious and barely a smile cracked through the 3 hours which was hard but I still enjoyed it a lot. Liked Farrell as The Penguin, thought he stole the scenes he was in and didn't mind Dano but thought he was trying a bit hard to be unhinged and it was a bit ott at times, but also genuinely creepy at others. 

Thought Pattison was good as Batman too but not a great Bruce Wayne, but he was barely in it as Bruce so no great shakes there.

8/10 for me, for what it's worth. 

On 04/03/2022 at 21:39, Squalor Vic said:

Thought The Batman was really good. Very serious and barely a smile cracked through the 3 hours which was hard but I still enjoyed it a lot. Liked Farrell as The Penguin, thought he stole the scenes he was in and didn't mind Dano but thought he was trying a bit hard to be unhinged and it was a bit ott at times, but also genuinely creepy at others. 

Thought Pattison was good as Batman too but not a great Bruce Wayne, but he was barely in it as Bruce so no great shakes there.

8/10 for me, for what it's worth. 

5/10 for me. agree that Pattinson was good when Batman. As Wayne he just seemed like a slight variation on Edward.

Much better than the Affleck/Snyder Batman iterations - which wouldn't be hard - but no where near as good as Nolan/Bale. On the latter, yes different type of interpretation where in the Reeves' version it is very much Batman the detective but I am not sure that is best applied to a cinematic outing (or at least one at almost 3 hours in length). 

Without spoilers:

Pros

- Jeffrey Wright/Commissioner Gordon

- Pattinson as Batman and the suit

- the hand to hand corridor/gangway fighting action sequences 

- the Necropolis and some other Glasgow settings

- avoiding (yet another) lengthy origins segment

Cons

- Serkis as Alfred

- the muscle car as the Batmobile

- Turturro is a fine actor but thought he was miscast as Falcone

- revelations around Thomas Wayne's death - how many time have we returned to this (at least there were no pearls dropping)

- Batman and Gordon staring at yet another clue/card or a board

- Gotham was grim looking, wet and dark- as it should be and I know Batman is invariably patrolling at night but the dark/wet/grimness started to grind on me after a while. The church scene set during the day made me long for different settings

Anyway probably being too picky on the first viewing of something I was really looking forward to. Maybe if revisiting at home in a wee while my rating/opinion will change. 

Trailer for Ms Marvel is out.

I know a lot of you are grumpy men who love dark gritty superheroes that punch things in the rain and will probably not give 2 hoots about this one.

I was in tears. As a woman and mum of a young girl I cannot wait for this and did not know I needed it so much.

1 hour ago, Baggio said:

Trailer for Ms Marvel is out.

I know a lot of you are grumpy men who love dark gritty superheroes that punch things in the rain and will probably not give 2 hoots about this one.

I was in tears. As a woman and mum of a young girl I cannot wait for this and did not know I needed it so much.

Looks like they changed the basis of her powers though, 

The Batman was a swing and a miss for me. 

I get what they were trying to do and for the first half hour I was thinking it was going to be absolutely brilliant. 

Never really lived up to the early promise for me. By the end was a bit cheesy and went on far too long. Absolutely no need for that to be a 3 hour film.

None of the supporting characters were really developed in any way, (e.g, this is Alfred, he likes puzzles, what else though? What kind of person was Gordon? I have no idea. ) The romance with cat woman was really poorly done and I’m not sure entirely necessary. 

For a film with so much dialogue, there wasn’t nearly enough chemistry between the characters to make the dialogue snappy or engaging. It was all exposition and to further the plot but no real interaction  between the characters a lot of the time. 

Batman himself was good though. Should have had more penguin. 😂

With the Netflix Marvel shows now on Disney+, we've been binging Jessica Jones.

David Tennant really is tremendous as Kilgrave, he's brilliant when he plays a proper nasty c**t bad guy. Similar to the way he plays Barty Crouch Jr in Harry Potter, but less unhinged

Went to see The Batman last night. I enjoyed it as a detective movie but I thought as a 3 hour long film it was an odd length. Like long enough that it almost felt bloated but not long enough that you could get proper background on the main folk. Not that I want another origin story.

I wonder if it would have been better/made more sense as like a 6 part TV show. True Detective: My Chemical Romance Batman Edition.