Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

Finally saw No Way Home yesterday.  It was ok. Some things it did well. Great performance particularly from Andrew Garfield. Molina and DaFoe also excellent as usual. 

I found the story somewhat bland and contrived though and definitely didn’t enjoy it as much as the previous Tom Holland Spider-Man films. My mind was really wandering at times. 

The Multiverse could be a case of Marvel writing themselves into a corner. The Infinity Stones were enough enough of a Deus Ex Machina and I think the writing needs to stop relying on that and introduce some eucatastrophe. 

With time travel, Dr Strange and the multiverse, there is the nagging feeling that anything can be fixed so nothing will feel important.

On 11/02/2022 at 20:12, FairWeatherFan said:

Seen it trending on Twitter. The Marvel Netflix shows are leaving at the end of the month. Presumably they'll end up on Disney+ at some point.

This sucks. 

Just finished rewatching Daredevil and The Punisher. Jessica Jones next. 

These are billed as "A netflix series" in the credits. 

Finally saw No Way Home yesterday.  It was ok. Some things it did well. Great performance particularly from Andrew Garfield. Molina and DaFoe also excellent as usual. 

I found the story somewhat bland and contrived though and definitely didn’t enjoy it as much as the previous Tom Holland Spider-Man films. My mind was really wandering at times. 

The Multiverse could be a case of Marvel writing themselves into a corner. The Infinity Stones were enough enough of a Deus Ex Machina and I think the writing needs to stop relying on that and introduce some eucatastrophe. 

With time travel, Dr Strange and the multiverse, there is the nagging feeling that anything can be fixed so nothing will feel important.

On 13/02/2022 at 10:41, Thorongil said:

16 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Do you suffer from memory loss or did you forget to delete your first post?

On 13/02/2022 at 10:41, Thorongil said:

Time travel as a narrative device always kills stories. I find it only works when used in a silly way (back to the future) or is largely unexplained (twelve monkeys). 

The MCU should be silly enough to just wave away concerns about the logic. They did way more explaining than was needed in Endgame though. But it does look like it's going to go the way of Heroes or something where no one really dies, they just rewind 5 minutes and dodge the bullet. 

47 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Time travel as a narrative device always kills stories. I find it only works when used in a silly way (back to the future) or is largely unexplained (twelve monkeys). 

The MCU should be silly enough to just wave away concerns about the logic. They did way more explaining than was needed in Endgame though. But it does look like it's going to go the way of Heroes or something where no one really dies, they just rewind 5 minutes and dodge the bullet. 

At the moment only Natasha and Tony are really dead. And I wonder about Natasha. When Hulk clicked who’s to say she didn’t come back to life but found herself lying at the bottom of a cliff on Planet Vormir.

3 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

At the moment only Natasha and Tony are really dead. And I wonder about Natasha. When Hulk clicked who’s to say she didn’t come back to life but found herself lying at the bottom of a cliff on Planet Vormir.

I think taking Disney to court might have settled that issue. 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

I think taking Disney to court might have settled that issue. 

They settled and not long after that you had Feige announcing a project they're working on together that's not linked to Black Widow. I wouldn't rule anything out with variants in the mix. Just wouldn't expect anything longstanding since Florence Pugh is obviously being primed to be the new Black Widow long term.

3 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Surely they aren't stupid to have her just sitting on vomir waiting on a lift home

Plus she died, like her body was killed etc, all endgame hulk did was reverse the people that were snapped out of existence, the snap didnt kill people it just wiped them, 

Plus disney have an absolute f**k ton of other well liked characters they can use, ive no doubt at some point we'll see a different universe version of tony stark (tom cruise rumours for MoM are a good laugh) but they don't need to go back, there are so many other people they can use 

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

Surely they aren't stupid to have her just sitting on vomir waiting on a lift home

Plus she died, like her body was killed etc, all endgame hulk did was reverse the people that were snapped out of existence, the snap didnt kill people it just wiped them, 

Plus disney have an absolute f**k ton of other well liked characters they can use, ive no doubt at some point we'll see a different universe version of tony stark (tom cruise rumours for MoM are a good laugh) but they don't need to go back, there are so many other people they can use 

Bruce did say though that when he snapped his fingers he was specifically trying to bring her back. But I don’t disagree.