Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

Gal Gadot has been cast as Wonder Woman for Batman/Superman. Hmm... I don't know an awful lot about her as I've only seen Fast and Furious 6 (and she didn't do a lot, IIRC). I could kinda see it, if she buffs up a bit.

Having only seen Gal Gadot in one F&F movie that I don't really remember all that well, I can't really give an opinion whether she's a good choice. I do think putting Wonder Woman into this film is a mistake though. I've been concerned that this film was going to suffer from trying to introduce a new Batman as well as continuing the Superman story. Batman's character and origins are so well known now that I can understand why the filmmakers thought they could get away with just chucking him into this one. However, Wonder Woman probably needs to be introduced in a film of her own rather than being shoved into the mix with both Batman and Superman.

Furthermore, one of my big complaints about Man of Steel was that Clark Kent and Lois Lane shared too little screen time and I felt their relationship suffered from that. It feels more and more like Lois and the other supporting characters from Man of Steel are going to be shoved even further to the side with this film.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/spider-man/28493/the-first-trailer-for-the-amazing-spider-man-2

WAtching it at work so cant get the volume but effects actually look pretty good

I didn't like the last one but the trailer for this looks quite encouraging. It's interesting to see at about 1:18 we seem to see what looks like Doc Ock's mechanical tentacles and possibly the Vulture's wings. Perhaps it's an indication as to where the series will be going next. Is it just me or does it look like there is someone on a Green or Hob Goblin type glider at around the 1:30 mark?

That being said, I can't say I'm too keen on the actor playing Harry Osbourne's performance at this stage.

Having only seen Gal Gadot in one F&F movie that I don't really remember all that well, I can't really give an opinion whether she's a good choice. I do think putting Wonder Woman into this film is a mistake though. I've been concerned that this film was going to suffer from trying to introduce a new Batman as well as continuing the Superman story. Batman's character and origins are so well known now that I can understand why the filmmakers thought they could get away with just chucking him into this one. However, Wonder Woman probably needs to be introduced in a film of her own rather than being shoved into the mix with both Batman and Superman.

Furthermore, one of my big complaints about Man of Steel was that Clark Kent and Lois Lane shared too little screen time and I felt their relationship suffered from that. It feels more and more like Lois and the other supporting characters from Man of Steel are going to be shoved even further to the side with this film.

I don't think she'll be anything more than introduced in the film and then she'll have her own film to properly build the character. That's where the problem lies, it's a risk asking Gadot to lead her own film given her lack of experience in doing so, especially when you consider that DC/Warner Brothers are under the gosh a bit (Green Lantern was disastrous, Man of Steel got a lot of stick as did Affleck's casting. And that's not even considering how they'll be looking at Marvel's films and desperately trying to get to that point with their universe). It's a very risky casting.

Gino Carano, IMO, would've been a much better casting. She's not got much experience either, but I thought she did really well in Haywire given she was the lead and it was her second feature credit. She was also fairly decent in F&F 6.

The problem was that Clark Kent didn't have enough screentime, Cavill was Superman for too much of it. Lois and Clark didn't have a relationship. I can definitely see that happening, they're looking for the short-term gain over the long-term.

Yeah seems to be that they are using this as a platform for other characters to bring into the Superman universe rather than a dedicated film, and with the Flash tv series coming soon you can see what they are trying to do...

I don't think she'll be anything more than introduced in the film and then she'll have her own film to properly build the character. That's where the problem lies, it's a risk asking Gadot to lead her own film given her lack of experience in doing so, especially when you consider that DC/Warner Brothers are under the gosh a bit (Green Lantern was disastrous, Man of Steel got a lot of stick as did Affleck's casting. And that's not even considering how they'll be looking at Marvel's films and desperately trying to get to that point with their universe). It's a very risky casting.

Gino Carano, IMO, would've been a much better casting. She's not got much experience either, but I thought she did really well in Haywire given she was the lead and it was her second feature credit. She was also fairly decent in F&F 6.

The problem was that Clark Kent didn't have enough screentime, Cavill was Superman for too much of it. Lois and Clark didn't have a relationship. I can definitely see that happening, they're looking for the short-term gain over the long-term.

That's basically been my attitude to the film since it was announced that Batman would be in it. It does seem that Warner Brothers are desperate to have their own Avengers Assemble and all the money and attention that will bring, but haven't paid attention to how Marvel built their way up to it. It's likely this fad for comic book films isn't going to fade any time soon so WB can take their time rather than rush into a Justice League movie asap. It's just feeling a little crowded in MoS2 and there are still rumours going around that Nightwing may make an appearance too.

David S. Goyer said back in April that people in Hollywood (i.e. Warner Brothers) aren't really keen on producing superhero films with female leads. You'd imagine they'll want to see Wonder Woman play a big part in the film to see how general audiences react to her before they green light a solo film for her. A part of me feels like if they were going to give her a small part and just a little introduction, then maybe they should have tried to keep it a secret and give her a scene like Nick Fury's cameo at the end of Iron Man.

You have to wonder what stage Wonder Woman will be at in this as well. Will she be like Batman and have been around for a while or be at the beginning of her career like Superman is in MoS.

David S. Goyer said back in April that people in Hollywood (i.e. Warner Brothers) aren't really keen on producing superhero films with female leads. You'd imagine they'll want to see Wonder Woman play a big part in the film to see how general audiences react to her before they green light a solo film for her. A part of me feels like if they were going to give her a small part and just a little introduction, then maybe they should have tried to keep it a secret and give her a scene like Nick Fury's cameo at the end of Iron Man.

You have to wonder what stage Wonder Woman will be at in this as well. Will she be like Batman and have been around for a while or be at the beginning of her career like Superman is in MoS.

Well then Warner Brothers will probably be fucked then. Because DC simply doesn't have as many main characters as Marvel does. (even in the subset that they still have the rights to). Batman and Superman are obviously huge (as huge as anyone Marvel has) but then it drops down considerably. Flash, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman are really the only ones who I reckon could carry their own film. Aqua Man is a joke (though a reboot could make him legit), Green Arrow may be able to but I doubt they would with the tv show happening.

You're probably right about the small role, which probably means it's a big role (and if they're filming outside and she's in the costume then the internet will find out).

I guess it depends, is she still gonna be Princess Diana of Themyscira/Paradise Island? I think they kind of have to keep her backstory true to the comics, they've angered the community enough with Affleck, I don't think it'd be wise to change details that would piss it off more.

Well then Warner Brothers will probably be fucked then. Because DC simply doesn't have as many main characters as Marvel does. (even in the subset that they still have the rights to). Batman and Superman are obviously huge (as huge as anyone Marvel has) but then it drops down considerably. Flash, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman are really the only ones who I reckon could carry their own film. Aqua Man is a joke (though a reboot could make him legit), Green Arrow may be able to but I doubt they would with the tv show happening.

You're probably right about the small role, which probably means it's a big role (and if they're filming outside and she's in the costume then the internet will find out).

I guess it depends, is she still gonna be Princess Diana of Themyscira/Paradise Island? I think they kind of have to keep her backstory true to the comics, they've angered the community enough with Affleck, I don't think it'd be wise to change details that would piss it off more.

I think you're probably right. At the moment Warner Brothers don't really have anyone else in the DC Universe outside the roster of characters you've mentioned that can carry a solo film at the moment. However if they pull off a JLA film then suddenly they've got an invested general audience and can afford to pick more obscure properties as Marvel have done with Guardians of the Galaxy and are looking to do in the future with Doctor Strange.

If WB are sensible then they'd look at what Marvel have done, particularly with Thor and realise that audiences will accept the more fantastical and "out-there" comic characters and will therefore try and give Wonder Woman a pretty faithful origin story. However, WB don't seem to know what their doing with this, imo of course, and will probably try and skip over the Amazonian princess parts. It's hard to really know how they'll deal with her origins in this film, if they go into them at all. The one thing I do expect to happen eventually is that Wonder Woman will be pushed to the side to make room for more screen time for Batman and Superman.

Damn. On the one hand, Apocalypse is one of my favourite villains (probably only second to Dr Doom) so I'd love to see him on screen but at the same time, I'm not sure I trust Singer to be able to do him justice. I guess I'll wait and see how DOFP pans out and whether he has earned my trust back.