Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

They were name dropped a few times which got me excited but otherwise, we've literally never seen them so now that Winterfell has been taken I can't see them appearing in any meaningful capacity

I quite enjoyed the episode, but that article is pretty spot on. I don't think it's too controversial; a lot of folk on here have been bemoaning the drop in quality over the past few seasons.

Crackin episode, and one of the best battle scenes in history. The near trampling/suffocation was done amazingly well.

Getting sick to fucking death of all these soap opera-y deus ex machinas this season though - e.g. from the end of episode 8 where Danerys turns up just in the nick of time, to this episode with Jon's buddies arriving just as he's about to face the first cavalry charge alone, then the timely arrival of the Knights of the Vale.

http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-20/-game-of-thrones-is-showing-symptoms-of-michael-bay-itis

This article touches on my thoughts a little bit. People can claim that anyone who isn't furiously masturbating over the episode is just trying to be different all they like, but in my opinion, the decline in the quality of the show has been pretty blatant this season. I still enjoy it, and I'll still watch it to the end, but a lot of the wit and genius in the writing has faded away.

Good article.

To take one question from it:

"Littlefinger shows up to save the day from -- where? Where was he storing a sizeable army that was within a night’s ride, and also not noticed by Ramsay’s scouts or loyal lords?"

Baelish lied to Robyn Titsucker & Lord Ashfordly Royce in episode 4 of this season that they'd been ambushed by a large Bolton force who took Sansa. After insinuating that Royce had something behind it, he "decides" to give Royce a chance to "redemn himself" & with Robyn's acquiescence orders the Knights of the Vale to get ready to move out.

Littlefinger met Sansa in the ruins of Mole's Town near to Castle Black in the next episode (you'll remember Ygritte & her Wildling Tongs had exterminated everyone in the place last series, except for Cassie Gilli) & immediately offered military aid. It's unlikely he'd do so (or be that far north) without them already being in some position to act: as Edd Stark found out the hard way, Baelish doesn't leave matters to chance.

The Boltons of course would not question his movements in the North, after all, he gave them Sansa...

(Indeed, the look of utter gormlessness on Ramsay's face when the Knights arrived, right up until the moment the Knights of the Vale started twatting his phlanx suggests Littlefinger had played him like a fiddle. Whatever Ramsey was, he wasn't as smart as his old man, who would never have trusted Littlefinger giving away "freebies".)

Possibly the Knights of the Vale took ships from Gull Town (Arryn Vale's port) and headed for White Harbor - the principle port of the north - which would have no reason to worry about a large armed retinue disembarking when the Vale is considered an ally of the Crown (& therefore the Boltons). Aside from speed, it would also avoid the Knights going along the King's Road & slaughtering the first Boltons they came across (after all, they were the ones according to Littlefinger that had attacked an Arryn entourage first...) which might alert them to their coming (& hostility).

It would also avoid for Littlefinger any awkward Bolton prisoners that might say to the Knights "what do you mean kidnapped Sansa Stark? It was Littlefinger that took her to Winterfell in the first place!" - vindicating Royce.

Which begs the question: what's going to happen when Royce has it confirmed that Littlefinger was responsible for Sansa getting married off to Ramsey? All the witnesses can't be dead to that minor detail, least of all in Winterfell itself.

Edited by WaffenThinMint

Good article.

To take one question from it:

"Littlefinger shows up to save the day from -- where? Where was he storing a sizeable army that was within a night’s ride, and also not noticed by Ramsay’s scouts or loyal lords?"

Baelish lied to Robyn Titsucker & Lord Ashfordly Royce in episode 4 of this season that they'd been ambushed by a large Bolton force who took Sansa. After insinuating that Royce had something behind it, he "decides" to give Royce a chance to "redemn himself" & with Robyn's acquiescence orders the Knights of the Vale to get ready to move out.

Littlefinger met Sansa in the ruins of Mole's Town near to Castle Black in the next episode (you'll remember Ygritte & her Wildling Tongs had exterminated everyone in the place last series, except for Cassie Gilli) & immediately offered military aid. It's unlikely he'd do so (or be that far north) without them already being in some position to act: as Edd Stark found out the hard way, Baelish doesn't leave matters to chance.

The Boltons of course would not question his movements in the North, after all, he gave them Sansa...

(Indeed, the look of utter gormlessness on Ramsay's face when the Knights arrived, right up until the moment the Knights of the Vale started twatting his phlanx suggests Littlefinger had played him like a fiddle. Whatever Ramsey was, he wasn't as smart as his old man, who would never have trusted Littlefinger giving away "freebies".)

Possibly the Knights of the Vale took ships from Gull Town (Arryn Vale's port) and headed for White Harbor - the principle port of the north - which would have no reason to worry about a large armed retinue disembarking when the Vale is considered an ally of the Crown (& therefore the Boltons). Aside from speed, it would also avoid the Knights going along the King's Road & slaughtering the first Boltons they came across (after all, they were the ones according to Littlefinger that had attacked an Arryn entourage first...) which might alert them to their coming (& hostility).

It would also avoid for Littlefinger any awkward Bolton prisoners that might say to the Knights "what do you mean kidnapped Sansa Stark? It was Littlefinger that took her to Winterfell in the first place!" - vindicating Royce.

Which begs the question: what's going to happen when Royce has it confirmed that Littlefinger was responsible for Sansa getting married off to Ramsey? All the witnesses can't be dead to that minor detail, least of all in Winterfell itself.

I was going to mention this as Littlefinger said that the Knights of the Vale were encamped at Moat Cailin. Which is notoriusly difficult for a Southern force to get past. The Boltons themselves couldn't get past when it was held by the Ironborn.

How did Sansa's raven reach him then?  I thought they went from castle to castle, rather than randomly finding a person wherever they were within the country?

Must have been Sat-Nav - buggered if I can figure out their whole "Harry Potter owls "style ravens in this show which appear to require zero training, are instantly replaceable & with the correct skillsets when Theon Greyjoy kills the lot of them.

Let's not even go into how they can tell one raven for one particular destination from the other when they're not even ringed.

Maybe instead of "British Telecom" they've got "Westeros Raven" or something, who instantly replace dead ravens within one phase of the moon or you're guaranteed a quarter off your next bill?

That's the trouble with shows like these, it's too hard to go into Terry Prachett's frame of mind & it all unravels :D

http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-20/-game-of-thrones-is-showing-symptoms-of-michael-bay-itis

This article touches on my thoughts a little bit. People can claim that anyone who isn't furiously masturbating over the episode is just trying to be different all they like, but in my opinion, the decline in the quality of the show has been pretty blatant this season. I still enjoy it, and I'll still watch it to the end, but a lot of the wit and genius in the writing has faded away.

To be honest I've felt that this season has had to move things forward to recover from a very disappointing season 5. I actually think they've managed to halt the decline. There's been some rough edges in the process, but they've had to recover from the mess they made of Dorne, and even the Stannis and Mereen storylines to an extent.

This time next week, we are all going to be miserable, aren't we?

Aye, it's not as good as it used to be. The introduction of comedy this season really got under my skin at times, nearly as much as some of the daft plot holes, but it is still head and shoulders better than anything else on television at the moment. In fact, I reckon history will show it to be the best show ever, but time will tell, I suppose.

Must have been Sat-Nav - buggered if I can figure out their whole "Harry Potter owls "style ravens in this show which appear to require zero training, are instantly replaceable & with the correct skillsets when Theon Greyjoy kills the lot of them.

Let's not even go into how they can tell one raven for one particular destination from the other when they're not even ringed.

Maybe instead of "British Telecom" they've got "Westeros Raven" or something, who instantly replace dead ravens within one phase of the moon or you're guaranteed a quarter off your next bill?

That's the trouble with shows like these, it's too hard to go into Terry Prachett's frame of mind & it all unravels :D

The ravens thing has always bugged me a bit. The get around is that ravens in Westeros are actually really clever and can understand language to an extent. And they're basically hooked into the all seeing network of Weirwood trees, which is essentially their sat-nav, so they know where everything is.

The ravens thing has always bugged me a bit. The get around is that ravens in Westeros are actually really clever and can understand language to an extent. And they're basically hooked into the all seeing network of Weirwood trees, which is essentially their sat-nav, so they know where everything is.

They are no different to carrier pigeons

They are no different to carrier pigeons

Carrier pigeons can't talk or move in a group to attack on command.

Btw, I wasn't being completely serious about the sat-nav thing. While there's more to them than being simple message carriers, and they do have something going on with Weirwoods, I know that they're only meant to know a few places. I think they're just messing with the humans though. They hold all the secrets. Ravens>maesters>kings/lords.

Edited by SpoonTon

Apparently the reason ghost wasn't in the battle was because of CGI budget constraints. It was either the giant or ghost not both. Sake suppose he'll be in the book instead.

Realistically, Ghost would surely never have survived that battle. Glad he wasn't there/killed. Need some direwolves left alive.

Decent episode, feel like watching it a few days after its first airing hypes it up too much.

Love the fact Ramseys desire to torture folk to death cost him the battle, if he wanted it couldve been over before Littlefinger appeared, but instead he wanted to create fear and slowly kill his enemies off.

Do enjoy that aspect of the show tbh.

Decent episode, feel like watching it a few days after its first airing hypes it up too much.

Love the fact Ramseys desire to torture folk to death cost him the battle, if he wanted it couldve been over before Littlefinger appeared, but instead he wanted to create fear and slowly kill his enemies off.

Do enjoy that aspect of the show tbh.

Plus he killed half his own force by firing arrows into the crowd.

Think that was because he was purposefully trying to build a wall of corpses to totally encircle Jon's army

It showed the difference between "good" and "evil". Davos told his archers not to fire as they'd kill their own men, Ramsay said "f**k it, loose".

Question - Wargs can take control of humans as well as animals, yes?

If so, why doesn't someone get a warg to take control of someone really important ie a king, and therefore run the place?

Most wargs can't. Bran is the only one who can as far as I'm aware.