Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

For past few weeks kept saying to my Throne watching friends "Where the f**k are the White Walkers? All that fanfare a few seasons back then nout". Well.. SCENES.

Shit got a bit hectic. I don't see many armies beating that unless several joined together. I imagine the wildings are small fry in the grand scale of things but f**k me they got murked.

Wow, the last 15 mins of that episode were outstanding. It was a decent enough episode up to then but those last 15 mins make it one of the best IMO.

Somebody linked to a decent theory on what the white walkers / others are and their motive. Obviously some potential book / show spoilers in it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/23p48r/the_true_nature_and_purpose_of_the_others_and_the/

Edited by Jack Burton

Everyone seems to be forgetting the fantastic interaction between Tyrion and Daenerys last night, not surprising given the last 20 minutes. But in a way, this season has been the best for interaction between characters. Some of the conversations have been fantastic, in fact the writing has been really under rated this year because it hasn't been loud and bright and flashy enough for some. It has been very dark though, that really has matched the mood of this series.

Ser Ilyn used Ice to execute ned stark but that would be the only time he'll have had his hands on it before it was melted down presumably.

He's not been in the show because the actor playing him is seriously ill with cancer I think. Can't imagine we'll see him again

Pretty sure he's doing really well these days, after they cured him. Seems to be building his strength back up and said that seeing as the character hasn't been killed off he could return some day, maybe even next season.

Wilko Johnson declared cancer free in October last year.

Good to hear but can't see where he'll fit back in. In the book, he is jamies sparring partner instead of bronn. Sensible move for TV of course but means they'll need to find a place for him somewhere which will probably be dependent on the fate of the lannisters

Everyone seems to be forgetting the fantastic interaction between Tyrion and Daenerys last night, not surprising given the last 20 minutes. But in a way, this season has been the best for interaction between characters. Some of the conversations have been fantastic, in fact the writing has been really under rated this year because it hasn't been loud and bright and flashy enough for some. It has been very dark though, that really has matched the mood of this series.

I actually thought Daenerys (or more poignantly Emilia Clarke) actually owned that scene. I'd been looking forward to their interaction for a while and I thought her acting actually outdid his a bit - surprisingly.

Emilia Clarke has gotten better with the role as the series has gone on. She was entirely unconvincing for a long time I thought, but she's been excellent in the last couple of seasons. Especially this season. I think she just suits that harder edge a lot more.

Can't see Ilyn Payne being in it that much regardless of Wilko's health, there's only so much you can do with a man who can't speak because he's had his tongue pulled out.

Emilia Clarke has gotten better with the role as the series has gone on. She was entirely unconvincing for a long time I thought, but she's been excellent in the last couple of seasons. Especially this season. I think she just suits that harder edge a lot more.

I agree. She's gone from a bit of a 'plain Jayne' (albeit a sexy as f**k one) with nothing of note to add to the character to someone who really is embracing being the potential Queen she is. She's gotten very stern, whilst remaining being fair and trying to be loyal - it's becoming a good mix of a character in my opinion and she really is starting to own it.

I'm watching episode 8 again just now... the original meeting between Tyrion, Jonah and Daenerys (sp?) had a bit of an odd feel for me the second time round. She went from asking why she should trust Tyrion to completely and utterly listening to his advice in banishing Jorah immediately. She basically submitted to Tyrion and his wisdom in a way she never really has so without question or further counsel before. It almost seemed that in the first 5-10 minutes of that episode that as soon as she accepted he was Tyrion Lannister she felt like he knew best? Not a slight on Emilia's acting as again, I thought she was top drawer this episode, more an observation on the writing... could they have made him earn her trust a little more before then? I don't know.

It's tough to second guess a great program like this; just some thoughts I had on the episode the second time in.

Just as a wee side note again - what are people's thoughts on Little Finger and Varys? I'm starting to get the impression that they are indeed the two Grand Masters playing the game of Game of Thrones. Like the two guys moving the pieces around the board? Obviously there are so many things they're not involved in and outside influences but in terms of Westeros and in particular the challenge for the Iron Throne I feel like these are the two guys making all the chess pieces move in their little game.

Also - more stoned ramblings. Why is the High Septor and his wee cronies so powerful? Why isn't it all the friends of the King, the Lannisters, the Tyrells et all cannot just overthrow this motley crue? I know they technically have rights over the people but when it is such high profile people arrested and on trial, why don't the truly powerful and wealthy families and monarchy just use brute force?

Enjoyed that

Watching that giant barreling along, shaking the undead off his shoulders, reminded me of big Roddy Grant piling in at a corner kick.

However, the Battle of Blackwater in the 2nd series still remains the series highlight for me.

Just watched the battle of Hardhome for the 3rd time there

unbelievable.gif

For the first time since the final season of Breaking bad i'm wishing the week away to see what happens next. Looks like all the build up is going to pay off with 3 shit hitting the fan episodes to end the season.

I always thought Bran and his weird mind powers were setting up so that he can eventually control and take over the white walker army? Also those wee skeletons that attacked Brans mob last season, were they the same army/type of dead from this week's episode?

I don't trust Olly at all. Such a wee dick, was convinced he had poisoned sam with his soup! Up to no good anyway.

Tyrion has been my favourite and most cherished character throughout I thought but I reckon I have slowly changed to Jon Snow. I almost feel like he is the lead character now in many ways. I'll be gutted if he gets chopped this season

Also - more stoned ramblings. Why is the High Septor and his wee cronies so powerful? Why isn't it all the friends of the King, the Lannisters, the Tyrells et all cannot just overthrow this motley crue? I know they technically have rights over the people but when it is such high profile people arrested and on trial, why don't the truly powerful and wealthy families and monarchy just use brute force?

You got a hint that the people are only a bawhair away from anarchy when Tommen went to Baelor's Sept and the crowd turned on him. If they went in mob handed they realise they'd probably get their totties.

I'm watching episode 8 again just now... the original meeting between Tyrion, Jonah and Daenerys (sp?) had a bit of an odd feel for me the second time round. She went from asking why she should trust Tyrion to completely and utterly listening to his advice in banishing Jorah immediately. She basically submitted to Tyrion and his wisdom in a way she never really has so without question or further counsel before. It almost seemed that in the first 5-10 minutes of that episode that as soon as she accepted he was Tyrion Lannister she felt like he knew best? Not a slight on Emilia's acting as again, I thought she was top drawer this episode, more an observation on the writing... could they have made him earn her trust a little more before then? I don't know.

Tyrion gave advice that didn't get Jorrah killed, but he knew that if he backed him up too much he wouldn't seem impartial. She didn't want to kill Jorrah, so what sounded like impartial advice that let him off the hook seemed reasonable. That's the way I saw it anyway.

Tyrion gave advice that didn't get Jorrah killed, but he knew that if he backed him up too much he wouldn't seem impartial. She didn't want to kill Jorrah, so what sounded like impartial advice that let him off the hook seemed reasonable. That's the way I saw it anyway.

Yep, she listened to him and took his advice because his advice was quite clearly the best and easiest way out for everyone not because she suddenly trusted him completely.

Edited by Spain