Modern Family

Swarley

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone else think Modern Family has been in unbelievable form this season? For me it is untouchable among other sitcoms at the moment, which is why it's a massive shame that Sky 1 don't plan to start showing it again until next month at the earliest. I'll just have to keep downloading, but it's always much better to watch in HD on the TV.

The reason Sky do this is because they get so many complaints about show's schedules being off and on so much when aired as it is in the US (E4 get a lot of this as well), but I don't understand this, surely it's better to have them within a few days/a week of the US than have to wait months for it, even if it does mean you don't see them back to back every week?

I'm a bit behind with this season, but I'm slowly catching up. Just watched the episode where Hayley is arrested for being drunk. :lol:

Haley: In Legally Blonde Elle won her case because she was true to herself and dressed cute.

Phil: Haley this is real life, not an excellent movie.

Anyone else think Modern Family has been in unbelievable form this season? For me it is untouchable among other sitcoms at the moment, which is why it's a massive shame that Sky 1 don't plan to start showing it again until next month at the earliest. I'll just have to keep downloading, but it's always much better to watch in HD on the TV.

The reason Sky do this is because they get so many complaints about show's schedules being off and on so much when aired as it is in the US (E4 get a lot of this as well), but I don't understand this, surely it's better to have them within a few days/a week of the US than have to wait months for it, even if it does mean you don't see them back to back every week

I'm a bit behind with this season, but I'm slowly catching up. Just watched the episode where Hayley is arrested for being drunk. :lol:

Haley: In Legally Blonde Elle won her case because she was true to herself and dressed cute.

Phil: Haley this is real life, not an excellent movie.

:lol:

Any idea when the series re-starts? It had been that long I had begun to think it was actually finished.

Edited by nelsjfc

• 1 month later...

Contrary to the rest of this thread, I've tried watching it a few times but just couldn't get into it. It's just too slick for me, and comes across as quite unrealistic.

It's no Frasier.

Contrary to the rest of this thread, I've tried watching it a few times but just couldn't get into it. It's just too slick for me, and comes across as quite unrealistic.

It's no Frasier.

What did you find unrealistic about it? I just ask as I'm quite surprised to see someone say that as for me, there is not a more realistic or relatable show on television right now.

What did you find unrealistic about it? I just ask as I'm quite surprised to see someone say that as for me, there is not a more realistic or relatable show on television right now.

Quite a few things. I think the characters of Phil and Cam are caricatures, Manny is also a pretty unbelievable character whilst the whole notion of Jay and his wife is pretty ridiculous.

I'm not saying it's a bad show or anything, but I just can't get into what I perceive to be an airbrushed version of a "family" that was concocted within a producers meeting to appeal to maximum possible demographics. The writing might well be excellent, but I might be focusing too much on the shows enormous flaws and lack of believability to notice.

As I said, I guess it's just my personal taste.

Quite a few things. I think the characters of Phil and Cam are caricatures, Manny is also a pretty unbelievable character whilst the whole notion of Jay and his wife is pretty ridiculous.

I'm not saying it's a bad show or anything, but I just can't get into what I perceive to be an airbrushed version of a "family" that was concocted within a producers meeting to appeal to maximum possible demographics. The writing might well be excellent, but I might be focusing too much on the shows enormous flaws and lack of believability to notice.

As I said, I guess it's just my personal taste.

Although I disagree (apart from on Cam being a caricature), I can see where you're coming from but you should really and try and let go of your hang ups about the characters and just let yourself enjoy it. The writing is indeed excellent and if the characters may not feel real, the situations and problems they are dealing with every week are. The show blends touching moments with humour extremely well and although it may not hold up well when compared to the absolute classics, there are no other sitcoms around at the moment that can come close to this show.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Used to enjoy the show but got sick of it trying to shove a cheesy family based message down my throat at the end of every episode.

To be honest, I think without it the characters would lack that small bit of realism that makes it work.

Sad its finished for another series. A few episodes weren't quite at highs expected this series, but still one of my favourite programmes on TV.

Its a great show but I've only seen the last 2 series, I'll need to go back and watch the first 2. Anyone have any idea when it's coming back?

Its a great show but I've only seen the last 2 series, I'll need to go back and watch the first 2. Anyone have any idea when it's coming back?

The last 2 series have started in the autumn on Sky One and finished spring after a big break for Thanksgiving/Christmas. Someone more into American TV might be able to suggest if it will be the same next season.

The last 2 series have started in the autumn on Sky One and finished spring after a big break for Thanksgiving/Christmas. Someone more into American TV might be able to suggest if it will be the same next season.

Would imagine it will be. The majority of US shows seem to start mid/late September and then run through to May/June. Most take a break over Christmas but they also miss the odd week here and there as well, partly due to baseball etc and partly for no other reason.

Sky can show them a few days or a few weeks later, although with some shows (Blue Bloods, Glee) they have waited a few months so they can show them right through with no breaks.

• 3 weeks later...

The show was on fire for the first half of the season with stuff like Philo's-ophy being one of the funniest things I've seen on TV but it did go a little down hill in the second half, just about the time that Gloria had her baby really, I'm unconvinced that it's been a good move for the show to be honest.