The Germany Game

Skyline Drifter

A disappointing result and a disappointing night certainly but lots of positives to take out of the night for me.

Sure we can't win the group now but I doubt Iceland will win in Germany with the Germans needing to avoid defeat to win the group so a win over Lithuania gives us the play off spot we'd pretty much all have settled for before a ball was kicked. And if we can't beat Lithuania at home then we don't deserve to be in Portugal.

It is a little disappointing to be out of the running for top spot before the final game especially when Germany are clearly so weak themselves but we've come a reasonable way in a couple of years. At the end of the day we've not failed to win the group because ten men failed to get a draw away to the World Cup runners up. We've failed to get there because we slipped to an abject draw in the Faroes a year ago and because we couldn't even grind out a draw in Lithuania. We should really have three more points from those two games and be bang in the hunt still.

Bertie's side is clearly progressing now. It's taken time but there's some cohesion there now (though it looked unbalanced down the right tonight. I know it would have been harsh on them but I'd have left out one of Lambert or Cameron and found someone naturally right sided such as Devlin but perhaps I'm being picky). The under 21's have made such progress that they look likely to win their group and qualify for the finals, something that the much vaunted English have completely failed to do, albeit from a tougher group and denied the services of the likes of Rooney playing for the senior side.

On tonight, I certainly think Bob the Builder could and should have done better on the first goal but he later saved us with a couple of fine stops. We're a bit short of decent keepers really at the moment though and he's the best we have. McCann was excellent again and scored a good goal. The penalty was unfortunately a complete stonewaller and the "Great White Hope" Pressley, who is pretty over-rated if you ask me, should take a look at himself on that one. In fact, Bobic might have had a couple more and Kuranyi had a chance or two too. If we're honest we had little apart from the goal so we can't complain too much about the result.

Ross' sending off? I think he had to go. His boot was raised and he caught the guy. Already on a yellow he was daft and it probably cost us any half chance of nicking a draw. I didn't get a good view of the first challenge (lottery numbers on screen at the time) and never saw any replays of it but it seemed to insense the other players at the time so it may have been soft. Ferguson's booking for being knocked about by the same player (Rauw?) was a joke. Ferguson barely brushed him off and the guy was rolling about like he'd been shot. Seem to recall him getting Devlin booked at Hampden in a similar manner. Presumably Mr Dailly was making special reference to him with his "f***ing cheats" remarks. He was certainly making an amusing hand gesture at him when he sliced a shot wide during the game :lol:

Anyway, not our worst performance ever een if I'd have happily taken a "Norway" and a boring draw. I see some progress but Lithuania is a huge game now, even if only to make sure we maintain our second seeding status next time around. Tomight was one of Ebbe Skovdahl's famous operations that went well but the patient died!

i texted this into talk sport

'Germany are a bunch of diving cheats. I have no issue with the penalty award. However the antics of the german players were a disgrace. Bryan Gourock.'

it got read out

i texted this into talk sport

'Germany are a bunch of diving cheats. I have no issue with the penalty award. However the antics of the german players were a disgrace. Bryan Gourock.'

it got read out

They once were doing a "British best XI" and they read out my team with Bryn Halliwell in goals :lol: I also informed them that David Beckham's haircut made him look stupid.

Not seen game yet on Video but from being at the game I was pleased for a change.

The passion was back and for me thats the most pleasing thing. We are short of quality players for this level but thats not Berti's fault and he can only pick who he has available.

Most of the other T/A guys I spoke to were also happy..ish. Good improvement but could do better would be my comments on the general performance.

PS

Stadium was superb and is second best I have beenb in so far. The atmosphere though was poor and we never heard the Germans sing for most of the night.

Best was the French one and even though they destroyed us that night the atmosphere inside it was electric.

Its often like that when both fans are singing, you think the others dont make a sound, and the other fans think you were very quiet. Do a deer is a great song to be singing tho, i remember at Wembley it was sang for about 10 minutes before the goal, and you could hear it on the commentary too when watched video after.

Anyway, better get off.

Barry

from people watching it on the TVs view there was only one set of fans singing and it was scotland, (apart form the 10 minutes when germany were 2 up, where the germans were very loud), however you can never tell when the germans are singing because to me they just seem to mumble everything, brother wh was the game thought the Germans were very quiet

From someone who was sitting in the German End :whistle , the only chants I can remember were:

1. Carnival de Paris followed by "Deutschland"

2. There's only one Rudi Voller

3. "Stand up for the Germany", the last two in German obviously

Scotland fans were pretty quiet except for first 20 and last 10, but that was some fucking trip.

Oh aye, and if Cal(l)um the Morton fan who we met in Essen and again in Dortmund wants to make himself known, then now's yir chance. :)

Guest Whitesands

Its difficulty to guage how much noise we were generating cos of the roof?

But when u were there the noise from the boys was phenomal!

Anyway,........We were not good enough. But I hate the cheating that is rife thu' that game and thu out the wider game.

Guest Whitesands

Anyway ........about the noise.....

the 8000 who were in the corner were singing and jumping for 90 mins.

we couldnnt make any more noise

I'm proud of the troops who were there.

Plus the odd 2000 who were jumping aroud all roound the ground

Guest Whitesands
A disappointing result and a disappointing night certainly but lots of positives to take out of the night for me.

Sure we can't win the group now but I doubt Iceland will win in Germany with the Germans needing to avoid defeat to win the group so a win over Lithuania gives us the play off spot we'd pretty much all have settled for before a ball was kicked. And if we can't beat Lithuania at home then we don't deserve to be in Portugal.

It is a little disappointing to be out of the running for top spot before the final game especially when Germany are clearly so weak themselves but we've come a reasonable way in a couple of years. At the end of the day we've not failed to win the group because ten men failed to get a draw away to the World Cup runners up. We've failed to get there because we slipped to an abject draw in the Faroes a year ago and because we couldn't even grind out a draw in Lithuania. We should really have three more points from those two games and be bang in the hunt still.

Bertie's side is clearly progressing now. It's taken time but there's some cohesion there now (though it looked unbalanced down the right tonight. I know it would have been harsh on them but I'd have left out one of Lambert or Cameron and found someone naturally right sided such as Devlin but perhaps I'm being picky). The under 21's have made such progress that they look likely to win their group and qualify for the finals, something that the much vaunted English have completely failed to do, albeit from a tougher group and denied the services of the likes of Rooney playing for the senior side.

On tonight, I certainly think Bob the Builder could and should have done better on the first goal but he later saved us with a couple of fine stops. We're a bit short of decent keepers really at the moment though and he's the best we have. McCann was excellent again and scored a good goal. The penalty was unfortunately a complete stonewaller and the "Great White Hope" Pressley, who is pretty over-rated if you ask me, should take a look at himself on that one. In fact, Bobic might have had a couple more and Kuranyi had a chance or two too. If we're honest we had little apart from the goal so we can't complain too much about the result.

Ross' sending off? I think he had to go. His boot was raised and he caught the guy. Already on a yellow he was daft and it probably cost us any half chance of nicking a draw. I didn't get a good view of the first challenge (lottery numbers on screen at the time) and never saw any replays of it but it seemed to insense the other players at the time so it may have been soft. Ferguson's booking for being knocked about by the same player (Rauw?) was a joke. Ferguson barely brushed him off and the guy was rolling about like he'd been shot. Seem to recall him getting Devlin booked at Hampden in a similar manner. Presumably Mr Dailly was making special reference to him with his "f***ing cheats" remarks. He was certainly making an amusing hand gesture at him when he sliced a shot wide during the game :lol:

Anyway, not our worst performance ever een if I'd have happily taken a "Norway" and a boring draw. I see some progress but Lithuania is a huge game now, even if only to make sure we maintain our second seeding status next time around. Tomight was one of Ebbe Skovdahl's famous operations that went well but the patient died!

Mcanns goal was brilliant but he was at fault for the first goal.

He left the German too much room. The Ross sending off was naive in euro terms but if that tackle was met with red in Birmingham/Fulham you would be left with 2 aside!

Anyway ........about the noise.....

the 8000 who were in the corner were singing and jumping for 90 mins.

we couldnnt make any more noise

I'm proud of the troops who were there.

Plus the odd 2000 who were jumping aroud all roound the ground

before the game the proclaimers was being played in the stadium and we were dancing and singing , the germans looked at us asif we were daft . That gave us a lift for the game :D

Guest buddie brilliant

that was my first trip away with the boys n it sure as hell won't b my last!! the atmosphere was unreal n the stadium was amazing (not a scratch on Love Street tho!! ;) ) the town square b4 the game was magic - n whoever thot of puttin fairy liquid in the fountain is a genius!! if the guys from hamilton who payed all that money 4 the taxi 2 the lap dancin only 2 learn that it was shut are on here then give us a shout!! couldn't believe the amount of noise that we made!! plane over was a gd laf - had a couple of Ayr fans n Morton fans along with several fellow Buds. :D hope we get England or Ireland in the play-off as I think either would be another fantastic trip!! bring it on!!

I was there and I was soaked to the bone before the game,but,I was that p*ssed I wasn't caring. :) This was also my first away trip with Scotland and I've already cancelled a holiday to Spain in November incase we make it to the play-offs(the wife wasn't too happy though!!).I was in the German end and there was fair amount of Scotland supporters in the same section as me.The Germans sang through-out the game,but,at some points I could still here the tarten army(with us joining in).They made a lot of noise and did us proud.The game was good too and I really think we can beat Lithunia and qualify for the play-offs.

The doom and gloom surrounding Scottish football seems to be lifting a bit now and some of the U21's coming through are very exciting.Bonoff(bad spelling)has installed into them that they are world beaters and are not scared to take on any team!! :D:D Thats what we want and this has shown in the 2 games the U21's have played against Germany.

I just hope we get to the play offs.

If we do I really hope we don't get England. Might be a bit beyond us to beat them right now, plus I'd rather be drawn against someone in a game that wont have that much animosity about it. That was one of the best things about Germany. Couldn't believe how friendly it all was - couldn't go anywhere without people coming over to chat to you, whether they were Scottish or German. That trip was my first away trip too and I had a fantastic time. Looking forward to the next one already, with my fingers crossed for a playoff against Latvia. Gorgeous place, beautiful women, cheap beer and a decent chance of progressing.

Guest buddie brilliant

Yeh man, Latvia sounds good!! especially the burds!!! wouldn't mind goin 2 ireland 4 a few days either

We travelled to Lithunia via Latvia and spent a couple of nights there. Riga was a cracking place and I'd liked to have stayed longer. The women were unbelievable.

Not the cheapest to get to but dirt cheap to stay there.

Fancy Slovenia as well - got a mate there who says its a fantastic place and cheap to get to if you book early enough.

Other favourite would be Cardiff.

Better get to the playoffs. International football is all thats keeping me going these days with the buddies being so shite.

Archived