Films That You Hate

bob_mcshug

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't forget Bowling for Columbine- That fat lying f'cker learned his black arts at the Joe Goebbels school of veracity and honest Journalism.

Bowling for Columbine is a terrific piece of op-ed journalism, bar the last ten minutes. That film, plus Roger and Me, are evidence that Moore is capable of intelligent, witty and powerful films. Farenheit 911 is a travesty.

I haven't seen the new Dragnet, but they used to play the original radio broadcast on a Friday night on the original incarnation of radio five. Terrific stuff. Just the facts, mam.

We'll never agree on Private Ryan - I can't think of one good thing about it. :P

Tonland - I think everyone hates waterworld. I don't particularly hate Kevin Costner, I thought he was quite good in the otherwise ludicrous JFK, and absolutely brilliant in Open Range. Which deserved several oscars, IMO.

Interesting how actors are being associated with how good films are, it is true that some people swear by actors, regardless of the quality of films.I've mentione my takes on Hanks film's, but what about other actors? Below is a list of leading actors and what I cinsider to be their best and worst works.

Costner - Worst - Waterworld

Best - Bull Durham

Hanks - Worst - Bonfire of the vanities

Best - Big

Cruise - Worst - Eyes Wide Shut

Best - A Few good men?

Cage - Worst - Con Air

Best - Leaving Las Vegas

De Niro - Worst - Goodfellas

Best - Untouchables?

Douglas - Worst - Basic Instinct

Best - War of the roses

Pacino - Worst - Dick Tracy

Best - Devils advocate

Feel free to add your own in, and or agree/disagree!

Devil's Advocate - now there is a pile over overblown balderdash :)

That is indeed a terrible film...As is "End of Days" with Arnie. An excerpt of the film...

Arnie - "I'm going to shoot you....lots of times"

The Devil - "I am the Devil. I cant die from your earth weapons"

Arnie - "Hmm... he didnt die when I shot him. What I need is a bigger gun"

The Devil "Sigh... As I said, you cant shoot me you freaking moron"

Arnie - "Hmm... A machine gun - that should do the job"

The Devil "Oh for f**k's sake... stop f***ing shooting me you f***ing idiot!"

Too many contenders to limit my selection to just 5.

Still, 5 movies I really hated which everyone else seemed to love are:

1- Kill Bill ~ manipulative misanthropy.

2- Magnolia ~ rambling, incoherent, pretentious.

3- The Scent of a Woman ~ cloyingly sentimental, Pacino's bombastic performance was intensely annoying.

4- The Draughtsman's Contract ~ deeply dull, pretentious.

5- Short Cuts ~ rambling, incoherent, tedious.

5 most inexplicably overrated movies:

1- The Matrix (and sequels) ~ embarrassing sixth form existentialism passed off as profundity.

2- Pulp Fiction ~ some good lines but an incoherent mess of a film. Tarantino should resist the urge to act. On second thoughts: Tarantino should resist the urge to direct.

3- Fight Club ~ see The Matrix

4- Star Wars (and any of the sequels or prequels) ~ George Lucas has Van Gogh's ear for dialogue and the artistic vision of a chartered accountant.

5- The Shawshank Redemption ~ shallow, sentimental dross. Business as usual for Stephen King.

5 truly execrable cinematic experiences:

1- Ace Ventura, Pet Detective ~ Carrey at his most annoying. Can't get excited about "Eternal Sunshine" et al because even Carrey at his least annoying is still unwatchable.

2- The Blair Witch Project ~ It cost $40,000 dollars to make, allegedly. I'm amazed it cost that much. I assume they must have spent at least $35k on catering.

3- Waterworld/The Postman ~ Anything starring, directed by or, worst of all, starring and directed by Kevin Costner should be avoided like an Ebola patient.

4- Alexander ~ Queer Eye for The Macedonian Guy. Didn't know the great Macedonian conqueror was an effeminate Irishman with bad highlights.

5- Ocean's XI (the Soderbergh remake) ~ lazy, indulgent, self-congratulatory pap masquerading as entertainment. Don Cheadle's mockney accent one of the film's many lowlights.

5 actors to avoid:

1- Tom Hanks ~ for that self-righteous Oscar acceptance speech for "Philadelphia" alone ("I know that my work is magnified by the fact that the streets of heaven are too crowded with angels"). If you magnified Tom Hanks' talent under an electron microscope it would still be invisible.

2- Jim Carrey

3- Kevin Costner

4- Quentin Tarantino

5- Keanu Reeves (his performance in "Francis Ford Coppolla's Dracula" ~ stuffy, uptight Victorian lawyer meets "Point Break"'s surfer dude with a smattering of "Bill and Ted" ~ must be one of the worst in cinematic history).

5 directors to avoid:

1- George Lucas

2- Peter Greenaway

3- Kevin Costner

4- Michael Bay

5- Joel Schumacher.

Too many contenders to limit my selection to just 5.

Still, 5 movies I really hated which everyone else seemed to love are:

1- Kill Bill ~ manipulative misanthropy.

2- Magnolia ~ rambling, incoherent, pretentious.

3- The Scent of a Woman ~ cloyingly sentimental, Pacino's bombastic performance was intensely annoying.

4- The Draughtsman's Contract ~ deeply dull, pretentious.

5- Short Cuts ~ rambling, incoherent, tedious.

5 most inexplicably overrated movies:

1- The Matrix (and sequels) ~ embarrassing sixth form existentialism passed off as profundity.

2- Pulp Fiction ~ some good lines but an incoherent mess of a film. Tarantino should resist the urge to act. On second thoughts: Tarantino should resist the urge to direct.

3- Fight Club ~ see The Matrix

4- Star Wars (and any of the sequels or prequels) ~ George Lucas has Van Gogh's ear for dialogue and the artistic vision of a chartered accountant.

5- The Shawshank Redemption ~ shallow, sentimental dross. Business as usual for Stephen King.

5 truly execrable cinematic experiences:

1- Ace Ventura, Pet Detective ~ Carrey at his most annoying. Can't get excited about "Eternal Sunshine" et al because even Carrey at his least annoying is still unwatchable.

2- The Blair Witch Project ~ It cost $40,000 dollars to make, allegedly. I'm amazed it cost that much. I assume they must have spent at least $35k on catering.

3- Waterworld/The Postman ~ Anything starring, directed by or, worst of all, starring and directed by Kevin Costner should be avoided like an Ebola patient.

4- Alexander ~ Queer Eye for The Macedonian Guy. Didn't know the great Macedonian conqueror was an effeminate Irishman with bad highlights.

5- Ocean's XI (the Soderbergh remake) ~ lazy, indulgent, self-congratulatory pap masquerading as entertainment. Don Cheadle's mockney accent one of the film's many lowlights.

5 actors to avoid:

1- Tom Hanks ~ for that self-righteous Oscar acceptance speech for "Philadelphia" alone ("I know that my work is magnified by the fact that the streets of heaven are too crowded with angels"). If you magnified Tom Hanks' talent under an electron microscope it would still be invisible.

2- Jim Carrey

3- Kevin Costner

4- Quentin Tarantino

5- Keanu Reeves (his performance in "Francis Ford Coppolla's Dracula" ~ stuffy, uptight Victorian lawyer meets "Point Break"'s surfer dude with a smattering of "Bill and Ted" ~ must be one of the worst in cinematic history).

5 directors to avoid:

1- George Lucas

2- Peter Greenaway

3- Kevin Costner

4- Michael Bay

5- Joel Schumacher.

Great post:

I think Magnolia (Tom Cruise's role allegedly isn't that much of a stretch) is a masterpiece, owing a lot as it does to the even more wonderful Short Cuts, one of my all time favourites.

Totally agree on the Matrix and to an extent Fight Club, although Fight Club is a lot more thoughtful, despite the rotten ending.

Stephen King wrote the novella "The Body", upon which the masterful Stand By Me was based. I wouldn't knock his "straight" writing totally.

Brahm Stoker's Dracula is a terrific movie, but not because of Keanu Reeve's embarrassing performance. The supporting cast make it worthwhile ignoring him.

Couldn't agree more on Blair Witch, but the rest of those, did you really expect them to be any good? :P

I agree. Far too many people, including a good friend of mine whom I argued the toss with yesterday, view this film as a cinematic masterpiece. You're right; it is vastly overrated and full of shallow sentimentalism.

Five of the most overrated movies of all time:

1. Forrest Gump. Indeed, take your pick from any Tom Hanks effort. Just don't start me on Philadelphia!

2. Notting Hill. Utter garbage and self-indulgence. Cliche-ridden and quite frankly embarrassing. It's nearly as bad as Love Actually!

3. Titanic. I can't tell you just how relieved I was when the great Cunard liner finally sank!

4. Captain Correlli's Mandolin. Nicholas Cage's attempt at an Italian accent was as laughable as Sean Connery's 'Irish accent' in The Untouchables! It is corny, sentimental and utterly boring.

5. Moulin Rouge. Pointless singing, terrible acting and plain wrong.

Rant over.

That is indeed a terrible film...As is "End of Days" with Arnie. An excerpt of the film...

Arnie - "I'm going to shoot you....lots of times"

The Devil - "I am the Devil. I cant die from your earth weapons"

Arnie - "Hmm... he didnt die when I shot him. What I need is a bigger gun"

The Devil "Sigh... As I said, you cant shoot me you freaking moron"

Arnie - "Hmm... A machine gun - that should do the job"

The Devil "Oh for f**k's sake... stop f***ing shooting me you f***ing idiot!"

:lol::lol::lol:

In all seriousness I think the worst film I have ever seen is "The Hunted" "starring" Benicio Del Torres and Tommy Lee Jones.

I dont think I can do justice in less than a 1000 words just how bad this film is for so many reasons, but if anyone else who has seen it can help me out with a short paragraph of its awfulness I will be most grateful.

Wow, cant believe some of the films being mentioned here, and since im at work not the best time to reply to all of the thoughts, but i do disagree with a lot of them.

Shawshank Redemption in my view should never be in the list of films to hate, as i reckon its one of the best films ever.

I cant believe people are slating Philadelphia, was a brilliant film......... and mostly slating it just because of Tom Hanks? i dont think hes one of the best actors in the world *actually i dont think he is anywhere near the best actors in the world* but i dont think his performance here makes it a film to hate.

I may be one of the few, but other than a little spell where he tried to do something different, *waterworld etc* i think Kevin Costner is a great actor, in some brilliant films. Perfect World, Field of Dreams and Open Range are Marvelous in my opinion.

Anyway since i gotta do work for a change (probably) my 5 films i hate are :-

Most Jim Carrey films (only seen Man on the Moon which i dont hate, but dont rate highly), hes one of those people you just want to beat up. Annoying annoying and even more annoying. (worst of the lot include the Mask, Ace Venture and Me Myself and Irene, which considering it was a farrelly brothers film i couldnt beleive how much i didnt like it).

Pokemon - Was dragged to see it at cinema, im just glad it was over quick. *or did i just fall asleep*.

Star Trek Films - I have no interest in it, shite shite and more shite.

This Years Love - Pointless hr and a half or so of my life. Very good sountrack tho.

Stand By Me -

Only joking, great film, just wanted to get a mini reaction from people.

Jean Claude Van Damme films after Bloodsport. - ALmost all the same, guy is a worse actor than Arnie.

In all seriousness I think the worst film I have ever seen is "The Hunted" "starring" Benicio Del Torres and Tommy Lee Jones.

I dont think I can do justice in less than a 1000 words just how bad this film is for so many reasons, but if anyone else who has seen it can help me out with a short paragraph of its awfulness I will be most grateful.

I saw this film the other week and have to agree with you, it was total cack

Archived