Morissey

longjohn

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ringleader of the Tormentors and You Are the Quarry, have somehow staved off a demise that should have ended in a flash, not in the whimper that his career has become!!!

I think the main reason for his endurance is that he has been placed on a pedestal so high by his fans that the bigger picture has been lost. He has been seen as the sole driving force behind The Smiths, but how true was that???

The genius of the Morrissey and Marr magic was only apparent when Marr disappeared. What we are left with now is the Morrissey enigma and image that could be said to be constantly failing to live up to the hype. If Morrissey alone can come up with anything approaching This Charming Man, or Please Let Me Get What I Want, then I'll take back everything I have just written!!!

I remember buying Viva Hate, Morrissey's first solo album, after The Smiths split up thinking everything would be the same. It wasn't and everything since has been a huge disappointment IMO!!!

I get the impression listening to his solo stuff that Morrissey is trying very hard. He can see where it should be going and even walks the right path, but without Marr just ends up getting lost. It is quite sad but I do feel that Morrissey has now just become a parody of himself!!!

But no more apologies

No more, no more apologies

Oh, I'm too tired

I'm so sick and tired

And I'm feeling very sick and ill today

But I'm still fond of you, oh-ho-oh...

Have a green one for that, "There is a light that never goes out" is my favourite song of all time. (albeit written with Johnny Marr)

It's an immense song. Fans of The Smiths might want me dead for saying this, but imo this is an even better version:

If anyone can find a better cover version of a song on youtube, I'd very much like to hear it.

Perhaps a few good upstanding citizens could picket his gigs carrying placards showing mass-murdering Canadian farmers sweeping across the prairies in their combine harvesters slaughtering billions of wheat plants

k0775383.jpg

Nearer to home we could show similar blood, sorry sap-thirsty Scottish farmers ripping poor defenceless potatoes from their earthy wombs and stabbing them to death.

189305_T.JPG

^_^

I loved the Smiths, they were a great band so I was obviously going to follow Morrissey's solo career which is for the most part quite good but the last couple of albums I've not bought and I've found myself disliking Morrissey more and more for a variety of reasons.

One reason is that he has been living off his reputation for far too long. Essentially he's been phoning it in since about the mid 90's. 'Vauxhall and I' was his last great album and the last few were dreadful generic indie rock pap bordering on the embarrassing as performed by a stiff old man.

He is often praised as being a great lyricist, but again it's been a while. His powers as a lyricist are long gone. It was sad but also funny when Morrissey said something recently about David Bowie. "He used to be great. But not anymore." True but was the comment inappropriate coming from a lesser light who is also a pale shadow of his former self? It's also worth noting unlike someone like Bowie, Morrissey has always been dependent on songwriters to pair his lyrics with, he doesn't have an iota of musical talent himself.

One thing that has always bothered me about Morrissey is that he has often taken credit for being some kind of unique figure that burst out of nothing in 1983. This is encouraged by his sycophant fans but its wrong. Although Morrissey often talks about girl groups, Sparks, The Cramps, The Ramones and other groups he has never really sounded like, I've always thought it a little suspicious he never mentions early Orange Juice, the obvious pre-cursor to The Smiths. If you were being unkind you might say he stole the template lock, stock and barrel and kept a sinister silence on the matter. The literate 'anti-rock' lyrics, the jangly guitars, the independent label stance, the erudite, bitchy and opinionated interviews, even right down to Edwyn Collins quiff. It's hard to believe Morrissey, an obsessive follower of musical trends, didn't notice all this and take note while he was still marooned in a bedroom at his mothers house. But he'd never admit it, to do so would dim his genius, he would have you believe he was the trailblazer.

But my main reason for growing to dislike Morrissey is that he has become what he rallied against back in the day - a sharp suited, Rolls Royce driving, out of touch, multi-millionaire rock star with a property portfolio, drunk on the intoxication of his own self satisfaction. It started when he left Britain and went to live in LA and he's never recovered from it. He has become smug, completely delusional, self righteous and deeply unlikeable. His treatment of the other Smiths has been appalling, particularly Joyce and Rourke but also Marr who he only patched things up with when a court case threatened his fortune. The judge described Morrissey as 'devious, truculent and unreliable'. He regularly treats people like garbage, and his love of animals is so extreme its obvious it is an inverted hate for human beings, including his own audience. Surely no one in the last 20 years has canceled more gigs than Morrissey?

Once great, Morrissey has dimmed to the point that, he wouldn't even be noticeable anymore bar two reasons - this past glories and and the unhealthy, uncritical obsession of his fans. Few if any artists have had such a fan base. They take artist loyalty to level never seen before, although it has kept the limelight trained on Morrissey, sadly, it has also been to his personal and artistic detriment.

I can't disagree with that, but I would say that Ringleader of the Tormentors and You Are The Quarry both have some fantastic tracks (and lyrics) on them.

As for The Smiths---one of my all time favourites. Can't help but feel that Rourke and Joyce don't get anywhere near as much recognition as they deserve though. Everyone raves about Marr and Morrissey but without that monstrous rhythm section the Smiths wouldn't even have been half as good.

I really hope they don't reform though, I think it would be a disaster.

I can't disagree with that, but I would say that Ringleader of the Tormentors and You Are The Quarry both have some fantastic tracks (and lyrics) on them.

As for The Smiths---one of my all time favourites. Can't help but feel that Rourke and Joyce don't get anywhere near as much recognition as they deserve though. Everyone raves about Marr and Morrissey but without that monstrous rhythm section the Smiths wouldn't even have been half as good.

I really hope they don't reform though, I think it would be a disaster.

Agree with all of that, but don't worry, The Smiths will never reform.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a link....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jul/28/morrissey-norway-attacks-mcdonalds-kfc

I spent many a year being a Morrissey apologist, even in the face of increasingly dubious statements and ever more turgid album releases, but it's just really boring now. It saddens me to see what a charmless and embittered fool he's become.

Here's a link....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jul/28/morrissey-norway-attacks-mcdonalds-kfc

I spent many a year being a Morrissey apologist, even in the face of increasingly dubious statements and ever more turgid album releases, but it's just really boring now. It saddens me to see what a charmless and embittered fool he's become.

This charmless man...

:ph34r:

Here's a link....

http://www.guardian....s-mcdonalds-kfc

I choose to remember the good times, when the Smiths were making good, humorous records.

Archived