climate change

jojo

That's a new one on me. So climate change is a tool of capitalism then?

No. The West are seeking to preserve their competitive advantage by modern-day means of socio-economic protectionism. It's in their interests to misrepresent the scientific evidence which analyses the environmental impact of the use of fossil fuels.

No. The West are seeking to preserve their competitive advantage by modern-day means of socio-economic protectionism. It's in their interests to misrepresent the scientific evidence which analyses the environmental impact of the use of fossil fuels.

That's quite an interesting hypothesis actually.

Climate change has lost its popularity recently it seems. However there is still a majority who believe it. I was pretty skeptical for a long time, but I dont see it as a way to stop other countries developing. I'd say if anything it'd be used to drum up oil prices.

I also don't see what we can do about it. While you switch your tv off at the wall a coal fire in a Chinese mine burns more carbon into the atmosphere than the UK produces in a year.

I don't think it's a massive leap to say that human industrial activity has increased the carbon dioxide level in the atmosphere significantly and this will have an effect on the climate and it's entirely reasonable to suggest we should look at ways of reducing our carbon dioxide emissions. Not at the cost of industrial or economic activity or the minimum technological advances we enjoy at the moment.

The Earth's climate is notoriously difficult to second guess, especially when you're only looking at it over a very, very short time scale (since the industrial revolution). The climate has always 'changed' and always will continue to change. It hasn't always spelled disaster in the past and there's no reason to assume it will spell disaster for humans in the future.

Finding new resources to fuel the life we've all grown accustomed to is far more important than lowering carbon emissions, although that isn't to say we shouldn't give a toss about trying to do that latter.

• 4 weeks later...

you no what, ive thought about it and ive come to the conclusion that the climate is changing and for the worse. the whole summer has been like a fucking rainy season.

I think it's time we stop kidding a ourselves, we need to protect our home and if that means changing our lifesyle then it must be done. Even if it isnt us causing the speedy increase in temperature over the last 50 years we might as well cut down our carbon emmisions and not take the chance. Any reasonable person would agree.

you no what, ive thought about it and ive come to the conclusion that the climate is changing and for the worse. the whole summer has been like a fucking rainy season.

I think it's time we stop kidding a ourselves, we need to protect our home and if that means changing our lifesyle then it must be done. Even if it isnt us causing the speedy increase in temperature over the last 50 years we might as well cut down our carbon emmisions and not take the chance. Any reasonable person would agree.

You could start by switching the computer off and never using it again.

Read what you want but you won't get the same answer twice .

bbc story says we are buggered on ice melt rate April 2011

bbc story says no we aint August 2011

My advice would be dont worry, worse things happen that WILL affect your life. Worry about them instead.

There can be no doubt that man is having a massive effect on the world. Just consider the Aral sea (a tragedy which has remained criminally reported for decades) or the hole in the ozone. We KNOW that man has had an absolutely catastrophic effect on the planet. We know that the population is increasing, that fuel is becoming more expensive, these are all facts. What isn't a fact, is the ultimate trend in climate change.

All those decrying the science though are kind of missing the point. The planet has been around for millions and millions of years, man has been around for a tiny heartbeat of that time, and we've been able to accurately record climate date for a fraction of even that time. Accurately predicting climate change at the moment is like trying to predict the next fifty years of stock market trends based on a fraction of a second, recorded yesterday. At half seven at night. We've improved in recent years, we've got a lot more data, but its still experimental research. But that doesn't mean its not worth doing or looking into. People who mutter about how "they used to predict an ice age" are being stupid. Of course predictions changed, we got more data and know more!

So the long term future of the planet and the long term effect of man is still up in the air, but in the short term, of course things are changing. How much is man made is perhaps debatable, but there can be no doubt that man is having an effect. Plus it makes sense to think of the environment. If you've got any kind of social responsibility and you go out to the beach or park for a picnic, you tidy up afterwards right? You put your rubbish in the bin and you try and leave the place like you found it. I think thats the good way to go really. As a species, we should try and leave the planet like we found it.

So thing like extinctions aren't such a big deal, I mean things go extinct all the time, even without human intervention. Thats the natural order of things. However, wiping out entire species en masse because of overfishing, lets not eh? It makes sense to keep food for tomorrow. Same for energy. It makes sense to use more renewable energy. Fossil fuels are getting more and more expensive, and more scarce. So why not make the most of what we have left? I say don't do it because of "climate change", do it because its socially responsible to try and leave the place like you found it!

Rant over. ph34r.gif

So the long term future of the planet and the long term effect of man is still up in the air, but in the short term, of course things are changing. How much is man made is perhaps debatable, but there can be no doubt that man is having an effect. Plus it makes sense to think of the environment. If you've got any kind of social responsibility and you go out to the beach or park for a picnic, you tidy up afterwards right? You put your rubbish in the bin and you try and leave the place like you found it. I think thats the good way to go really. As a species, we should try and leave the planet like we found it.

What, vast tracts of uncultivated wasteland and forest supporting a bare handful of us while the rest starve? No farming, no irrigation, no logging? Good luck with that pitch.

In the real world, the onus is on humans to modify the environment entirely to our best interests like we have been doing for thousands of years. The fundamental issue is what our best interests truly are in the mid to long term, which is the only way in which ecological questions are even remotely relevant.

What, vast tracts of uncultivated wasteland and forest supporting a bare handful of us while the rest starve? No farming, no irrigation, no logging? Good luck with that pitch.

In the real world, the onus is on humans to modify the environment entirely to our best interests like we have been doing for thousands of years. The fundamental issue is what our best interests truly are in the mid to long term, which is the only way in which ecological questions are even remotely relevant.

This.