Hip Hop Thread

A-Mac

I've had my fingers burnt with tickets for US rappers a few times.  Worst let downs was going to see Wu in 1996 but it was cancelled as we were about to board the bus to Glasgow and one for the Juice Crew in Edinburgh 10 years ago, Shante was good, Biz Markie couldn't be arsed and Kane never even turned up.

Jeru and Souls of Mischief both in early to mid 2000's are probably the best I've seen.

Edited by Pete Rockwell

I've always thought the live rap experience looked a bit keich, so I've rarely bothered. Made an exception for Public Enemy at the Academy, though - brilliant.

Somehow managed to forget about them in my last post.  Really good when I saw them around 15 years ago in a festival at south of England and good in Edinburgh around 2006 although set was overlong with some guitar based stuff I didn't like much.

I've had my fingers burnt with tickets for US rappers a few times. Worst let downs was going to see Wu in 1996 but it was cancelled as we were about to board the bus to Glasgow and one for the Juice Crew in Edinburgh 10 years ago, Shante was good, Biz Markie couldn't be arsed and Kane never even turned up.

Jeru and Souls of Mischief both in early to mid 2000's are probably the best I've seen.

We were heading along London Road when we found out that Wu gig was cancelled. Saw them a few years ago and was not impressed at all.

My favorite is still old school Eminem, Dr Dre and Onyx. I can't see anything worthy in new kings like Drake and Kendrik Lamar. The other day I downloaded some ringtones here and came across Drake's Views. Well, I can't say there's anything truly outstanding there. Definitely not for his sales

Onyx are still one of my favourites.

Ghostface was pretty good. Came onstage 45 minutes late, and only played for 45 minutes (have it on good authority he was paid £7,000 for playing) and got a bunch of randoms from the crowd to sing Protect Ya Neck, but the majority of the time he was onstage, he was great. Hearing Shimmy Shimmy Ya live was different class.

If I had paid for my ticket (£20) I probably would've felt a bit ripped off, but since I had a freebie, I thought it was pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

New Kanye ft. Gucci Mane, 2Chainz, Yo Gotti, Quavo, Travis Scott, Big Sean, Desiigner, Yo Gotti & Juicy J.

https://soundcloud.com/nightsinoctober/champions-good-music

Edit: speaking of hip hop shows Wu Tang were pretty good when I saw them a few years ago. Method Man was the only no-show.

Nas was tremendous at the Academy last year.

Edited by capt_oats

• 2 weeks later...

YG dropped Still Brazy which is almost exclusively G-Funk that the only thing that seems to be missing is a Nate Dogg hook (RIP). Definitely an improvement on his last album even if the West Coast style gets a tad repetitive . Personal highlight for me is 'She Wish She Was'