Hip Hop Thread

A-Mac

Puting my money where my mouth is as always. Real Saints will say he's heard all these before but he only pops up to sound really bitchy complaining about wack getting mentioned in a hip hop thread.

Edited by Pete Rockwell

You watched that Stretch and Bobbito doc yet? Haven't seen it myself.

Yes - it is amazing from start to finish. So many nice interviews and footage - Fat Joe and Busta on great form in particular. We saw it at the Picturehouse with Stretch & Bob introducing the film and then doing a Q&A with the audience afterwards.

New Kendrick is sounding great. Very tight and focused; as much as I loved TPAB, I found it pretty sprawling and, at times, messy, with some of the skits and songs meandering off into all directions - not necessarily a bad thing, but doesn't make the album an easy listen (perhaps that's the point)

New Kendrick is sounding great. Very tight and focused; as much as I loved TPAB, I found it pretty sprawling and, at times, messy, with some of the skits and songs meandering off into all directions - not necessarily a bad thing, but doesn't make the album an easy listen (perhaps that's the point)

Interesting, as I found TPAB to be quite the opposite. It was masterfully structured throughout, although I didn't quite realise that on first listening.

Yes - it is amazing from start to finish. So many nice interviews and footage - Fat Joe and Busta on great form in particular. We saw it at the Picturehouse with Stretch & Bob introducing the film and then doing a Q&A with the audience afterwards.

Where is Picturehouse?

I never tire of rewatching the BBC hip-hop documentary 'Bad Meaning Good' every once in a while. It's still brilliant. Scary to think it's gonna be 30 years old next year!

Amazing footage of Westwood at Kiss FM when it was still a pirate, as well as Run DMC, London Posse, Brixton Academy (those whistles!), Groove Records in Soho etc. Look out for a young Trevor Nelson!

Liked Griselda Ghost and Hitler Wears Hermes from Westside Gunn last year.

Listened to George Kush Da Button by Smoke DZA, but not much since then. Didn't realise the new album had dropped now, I was looking for it a few weeks ago after hearing a couple of 2016 tracks that had been put up on the net including the one you posted above.  I'll check it out later, cheers.

There's a Daddy-O interview on Juan Epstein just been broadcast.

Loved all the Hitler Wears Hermes albums, and his stuff with The Purist etc., but I tend to think WestSide Gunn works best alongside his bro Conway - vocally they've got a nice contrast. There's something about WestSide Gunn's voice that kinda grates if there's not another rapper alongside him for a bit of variety.  

Edited by Pabst