The Official Thread for Everton FC

jamamafegan

Hopefully the lads can raise their game and do a Goodison Manc double.

According to Moyes, Anichebe is a doubt for tomorrow and will check on "one or two others", which are unspecified on the update on the official EFC facebook page.

Comfortable enough win on Saturday, though Reading threatened to make it less so in the first half, particularly when Le Fondre hit the bar. But once Fellaini scored we were comfortable and Pienaar's goal was worth the ticket price alone.

Mirallas for me was different class and Jelavic again did everything but score. Jagielka going off was a blow but Heitinga actually did well when he went on.

I'll be back down for the Wigan game on Saturday - lets hope the march to Wembley continues!

Anyone going to the Sunderland away game in April? I'm hoping to go with a group of friends from Aberdeen/Liverpool, but it's just a matter of sorting travel out and somewhere to stay I think. Really looking forward to it, will be my first competitive Everton game, the other games I've been to were the friendlies up here against Dundee United and Forfar.

Thinking about Sunderland, though will decide nearer the time. Been to the Stadium of Light a couple of times and it's easy to get to from Newcastle - a half hour train journey into Sunderland City Centre and then it's a short walk to the ground. Plenty of good boozers in the place and they're a pretty welcoming bunch.

Disappointed they've now moved the away support up into the top tier rather than behind the goal though.

Evertonians, what's your view on this season? Would top 6 be a success even if that didn't secure European football?

I would be absolutely over the moon with a cup win. That would send us to Europe too. Best of both worlds. Champion league, I think, is out of touch now. Can't see spurs slipping up now.

Speaking of the cup, tomorrow is the massive game against Wigan. Win and we are in the semi's. That game is live on ITV at 12:45PM for those that didn't know. Can't wait!

Top six would be a decent achievement in the league. We won't finish in the top four, and if could get fifth ahead of Arsenal that'd be terrific. Focus though should be on the cup - we must be looking at trying to go one better than least season.

Going down tomorrow and buzzing about the game. Though this is Everton, so nothing comes easy. But what a great chance to return to Wembley. COYB.

ETA - Howard out after breaking two bones in his back. Mucha to deputise in goal again.

Edited by Larbert_Par

Top six would be a decent achievement in the league. We won't finish in the top four, and if could get fifth ahead of Arsenal that'd be terrific. Focus though should be on the cup - we must be looking at trying to go one better than least season.

Going down tomorrow and buzzing about the game. Though this is Everton, so nothing comes easy. But what a great chance to return to Wembley. COYB.

ETA - Howard out after breaking two bones in his back. Mucha to deputise in goal again.

Howards broken two bones in his back?! Jesus thats not good at all. It was already a massive blow losing Jags as well. Hope he's not out for too long. Mucha's pretty solid it seems though.

Aye, not good news about Howard. Mucha had a bit of a shaky start last week but was pretty solid all round to be honest. Heitinga will play in place of Jagielka tomorrow and he did fine when he came on last week - hopefully we'll see more of the same.

So long as we've got Mirallas and Fellaini in the side though, I'm confident we'll score goals.

Just home from the game and I'm still struggling to take in what I witnessed today. Fair play to Wigan - the better side deservedly won the match, no doubt about it. They took their chances when they came, kept the ball a helluva lot better than Everton did and restricted us to few chances. A very good away performance from them it has to be said.

As for us, well, where do we start? Wigan settled quicker into the match and were unlucky not to be ahead when Maloney hit the post, but Everton simply didn't get going. There were far too many players going through the motions and letting the game pass them by, while there was very little in the way of ball retention or creation. The tactic seemed to be let Distin / Heitinga hoof it forward for Fellaini (and Anichebe when he went on) and hope they win a header and Jelavic and the midfield can win the scraps. It didn't work.

The midfield were atrocious today. Pienaar on the right hand side? Not one of Moyes' better decisions that one, as Pienaar was as ineffective as I've seen him in a Blue shirt. Osman had a shocker, and he looks knackered given he's played the majority of the games. And, another Moyes masterstroke to play Phil Neville - he's not a central midfielder. And why drop Gibson to the bench, who played well last week against Reading, to accomodate him? And it backfired spectacularly when he gifted Wigan their second with an absolutely shambolic pass across the midfield.

And, Fellaini. He's been one of the team's best players this season but today he was an absolute waste of a shirt. Failed to control the ball, passing erratic and generally looked disinterested. One of the boys coming home was saying he felt for him as Moyes continually shuffles him about the pitch. This is probably true, but he looked like he didn't want to be there today, as evidenced when he gave the ball away, didn't chase it, got stick from the fans, who he then gestured to, and was promptly subbed. I think he'll definitely be leaving in the summer now, given we'll struggle to finish top six.

I've touched on the second goal, but the first was a free header - especially infuriating as we lost a goal from a set play last week, and didn't learn. And for the third, which was nice build up from Wigan, the Everton defence stood about watching like statues. And that was the game over - Everton could be playing until Monday and not look like scoring.

Hardly anyone in a Blue shirt today deserves pass marks, save probably for Mucha (blameless at the goals) Mirallas (who worked hard) and Anichebe, Gibson and Barkley the subs.

And Moyes' decisions again were open to question. Why take off Mirallas, who looked our only threat? And why, when 0-3 down, do we pull everyone back to defend a corner when need goals? And why do we insist on launching the ball aimlessly forward when we have some decent players who can play the ball on the floor? Moyes at times has no plan B and is why he won't manage a top four side, IMO.

I also believe his delaying of deciding whether to stay is having a detrimental affect on the team. He either wants to stay, or he doesn't. Make your mind up and either way Everton will get on with it - no man is bigger than the club. And, the feeling after the game from a lot of Evertonians was that they wouldn't be arsed if Moyes did decide to leave. That was a huge game and a big chance to get to the final, and we blew it. Simple as that.

It'd be typical of Everton to beat Manchester City at Goodison next week, but that'd just make today all the more infuriating. I've never seen the crowd turn on the team like they did today before, and a couple of fans in the Park End looked to be huckled out during the second half, presumably for having a disgareement over things.

Overall, an absolutely awful day at the office for the Blues. But a fully deserved victory for Wigan.

I would be absolutely over the moon with a cup win. That would send us to Europe too. Best of both worlds. Champion league, I think, is out of touch now. Can't see spurs slipping up now.

Speaking of the cup, tomorrow is the massive game against Wigan. Win and we are in the semi's. That game is live on ITV at 12:45PM for those that didn't know. Can't wait!

Come on out then Jama your going to have to face the music sometime! :P

Come on out then Jama your going to have to face the music sometime! :P

Sigh. I've calmed down since Saturday. Just seen the draw for the semi's as well...typical.

Can't say much more than what LP said. Wigan were by far the better team and deserved to win. I still hate them though. Shitebags. I like Martinez though...

Don't agree with the thing about Moyes though. Moyes is to Everton what Sir Alex is to Man United IMO. I'm a Moyes loyal, and I fear what would happen to us without him. He has had an off day with this one though. I don't know what it is really that's stopping us from reaching our potential. I believe we are far better than what recent results suggest. Losing away to Norwich was piss poor and now this. These are big games and we don't see them out. I just don't understand why we can't see games out. It is incredibly frustrating and it happens more often than not. Don't know what the Wigan game was down to - complacency? Bad tactics? This season we have been very good, played well and been a nice side to watch. But you can't be drawing teams week in week out, which is what we have done to an extent and we have slipped down the table. Champions League hopes are all but gone, and even Europa League looks like it could slip away if Liverpool keep up their excellent run of form, which has annoyed me because I preferred things when they were shite tbh. :P:(

Tottenham have gone about their stuff really well. They beat teams convincingly and stay consistent and that is why we won't catch them.

I do worry what this cup result will mean. Will Moyes have had enough? Will he still have the hunger to get that elusive piece of silverware with Everton? Are we going to lose some big players? If we lost Baines I would be extremely upset because he is genuinely my favourite footballer in the world. Brilliant player and cool as f**k, loving the Mod look. What a guy.

Moyes said (I'm sure) that this was the best Everton team he has managed in his time - yet we will end the season without reaching a cup final and miss out on the champions league. So what now?