The Official Thread for Everton FC

jamamafegan

I would agree. We can't underestimate them given today (and, bearing in mind Oldham knocked us out at Goodison a few years back) but I'm certain Moyes won't. Given some of the teams now out, this is another big chance for us to potentially reach the semi final or final.

Would've preferred a home draw, but not the worst draw we could've got.

Yeah, a home draw would have been the first choice, but given some of the teams left in the hat, it's a pretty favourable draw.

And I agree that we'll undoubtedly take it seriously and give Oldham the respect they deserve. Perhaps they weren't given that today and they fully deserved their win.

Stop this semi-final/final chat until nearer the time, eh?

Good point, might be getting slightly carried away. I remember when we beat Chelsea at the Bridge a couple of years back, then lost to Reading.....

But, still, the opportunity is there. But you're right, one game at a time!

Yeah, a home draw would have been the first choice, but given some of the teams left in the hat, it's a pretty favourable draw.

And I agree that we'll undoubtedly take it seriously and give Oldham the respect they deserve. Perhaps they weren't given that today and they fully deserved their win.

Yeah. I didn't see the game today but it seems Lolverpool made a few changes which backfired. Credit to Moyes for fielding a first choice XI at the Reebok yesterday - it isn't worth the risk.

Everton on the verge of signing big unit Leroy Fer for £8.6m. He is nicknamed 'The Bouncer'.

Looks like this could be a good bit of business. We could do with some robustness in the middle of the park and he seems like he could be the boy.

Can't help but feel he's partly been bought because we know Fellaini won't be here for much longer though.

Everton will be very thorough with the medical - they were exactly the same when Lescott was signed from Wolves, as he'd missed the entire season previous due to injury. The club are quite right to be rigorous as possible, especially given the fee involved.

Fer will be a great signing if it goes through. Watched a decent amount of Twente this year and he's been in complete control of nearly every game. Very good player and one that I'd imagine would be capable of making the step up to the Premiership.

Fer move is off.

Everton tell Sky Sports that their deal to sign Leroy Fer from FC Twente is off after problems with the midfielder's medical.

"We were very excited at the prospect of Leroy coming to Goodison but unfortunately the transfer did not go smoothly there were some issues," said chief executive Robert Elstone.

"I think our fans will understand that we had to put the club and the club's finances first. There are other options for us and we will work hard on them. It will not be for want of trying."

Very disappointing news. I liked the look of the guy. Hope we can bring in someone else that's up to par.

You just get the feeling that WBA are going to get a late equaliser here.

That miss from Osman after the ball rebounded off the post is unforgivable.

Not tonight! :D

Good result. Baines first goal was a belter. Good that Arsenal/Spurs dropped points too.

Great result last night, especially with Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea all dropping points.

As for Negredo, BBC reporting that it's probably not going to happen. We're in for Barnsley's teenage right back John Stones, and interested in a young Leeds defender too.

Looking to sign Alvaro Negredo from Sevilla.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21271211

My mate says this guy is good, I have no idea. His record for club and country looks fair. Rated as £13 million but may go for much less because of Sevilla's financial difficulties.

Is there a spanish team outside the big 2 that don't have financial issues? I'm sure valencia are in trouble aswell.

I'd have loved to have signed Negredo, but it seems it was never really a go-er. He's a cracking player and would have done well in this Everton side, but disappointingly we haven't made many additions this window.

The signing of John Stones from Barnsley would seem to be a good one for the future, but we could have done with one or two additions to the first team. But hey ho, it wasn't to be. We'll soldier on for the remainder of the season with what we have.

Yeah I reckon the team has it in them to power on to a good finish. Sad Gueye left though. I like Gueye.

Thoughts on today's game? Can only think it can be an Everton victory if we play like we did on Wednesday.

Edited by jamamafegan4

By all accounts from guys I know at Goodison, we played well going forward but were atrocious at the back, Heitinga particularly. Still, we fought back well and didn't lose. Onwards and upwards - nice easy trip to Old Trafford next week....