The Official Thread for Everton FC

jamamafegan

I'm amazed clubs can't appeal in these situations

It is a real shiter. We will miss him for sure. Rules should be changed IMO to get yellows rescinded.

Agree with the others when they say form goes out the window for the derby, much like any other derby match. Close one to call.

Pienaar being out is going to be a big blow on Sunday, as he and Baines down the left have provided much of our creativity. We need to hope Fellaini is fit, otherwise it'll give them one helluva boost.

Naismith can play on the left but I doubt he'll start. If Hibbert is fit, then I'd get him in at right back, push Coleman to wide right, play Osman through the middle and Mirallas on the left as we're a bit short of options. Obviously if Fellaini is fit then we can still play Osman out wide, but being without Fellaini and Pienaar will really stretch the midfield resources.

Had those 2 definitely been available, I'd have been a lot more confident. I was at the games at Goodison and Wembley last year and felt confident Everton would win (although the ref sending Rodwell off ruined the game at Goodison) and both games ended up being lost, so I'm a bit more apprehensive this time. Will be a close game.

Going down for it and it's a sell-out, so should be a good atmosphere. COYB.

Based on MotD it seems that Liverpool missed Lucas. Too many long balls getting into Fellaini/Jelavic, whilst one of LL's major strength's his ability in the air in front of such players.

That offside call was absolutely ridiculous.

I'd have taken a point beforehand so can't complain too much.

I didn't see the first half, but on the basis of the second half, I'd say a draw was about the right result. We played some nice stuff and had some good chances, notably Fellaini's header, but Liverpool were likewise, so can't really complain with the point.

I wasn't sure what the controversy at the end was all about tbh, I was sure the reason the goal was disallowed could only have been for a foul by Coates for the flick on. It seems that it was for an offside though, so we might have got lucky there. Very satisfying however to see his face when he realised it was ruled out. Karma Luis, karma.

Ach well, onwards and upwards. A decent point and onto next week.

Gerrard's comments there are laughable.

It was an intense and absorbing derby on Sunday and a cracking atmosphere inside the ground. We started off poorly and lost two sloppy goals - the second one especially. I didn't think it was a foul but, nonetheless, if you defend a set play like we did and allow someone of his ability a free header then you're going to be punished for it. Good to see Moyes saw the funny side of the celebration at the first goal - we all knew it was coming.

However, getting the goal back through Osman so quickly was critical and from then on I felt we were the better side. We more than deserved to be level at half time and, throughout the game, we created more chances than them. Mirallas was having a superb match and carried a massive threat for us down the left hand side, so from our point of view it was a shame he had to go off as Geuye simply doesn't carry the same attacking presence. During the second half we didn't create as many chances but still had our moments - the free header Jelavic had especially where he should've done much better.

As for the goal that was disallowed, well it was clear it should've stood but it summed up the officials, who had a shocking game. I felt Sterling and Suarez were lucky to still be on the pitch, the latter especially - his tackle on Distin was intentional, nasty and cowardly. For my money, he should've been off. At least the Reds know what it feels like to have a shocker of a decision go against them in a Goodison derby - they were the beneficiaries last season when Rodwell was wrongly sent off.

Overall though, very pleased with the point given we were 2-0 down.

For me, Everton looked liable to score every time they went forward in the first half. Liverpool didn't look assured defensively at all, with both the backline and 'keeper looking suspect.

In the second, I thought going to a back three shored things up brilliantly. Everton seemed dependent on Leighton Baines' crosses into the box, but the addition of another CB nullified that threat brilliantly. I'd also have to say that the quality of Baines' deliveries were not as high as you would tend to expect either, but there's no doubt that the changes at HT did what they were meant to in defence.

The knock on effect of that was that Liverpool again looked poor going forward. Despite that, it was the right call from Rodgers as they were going to lose if something wasn't done to sort out the defence.

For my sins, I was listening to Talksport coming home from work tonight. I know, I know.

I did laugh at the irate Toffees phoning in, raging at Gerrard. What right did Gerrard have to comment about Everton. He should concentrate on his own team, etc etc. Then, said irate Evertonian would spend 5 minutes telling everyone how poor Liverpool werre and how Gerrard was a long ball merchant himself.

For what it is worth, if it were my team, and I had someone with the qualities of big Marion, with the likes of Naysmith and Jelavic running off him, I would play exactly the same way. Play to your strengths and that's what Everton do. Fair play to them.

For my sins, I was listening to Talksport coming home from work tonight. I know, I know.

I did laugh at the irate Toffees phoning in, raging at Gerrard. What right did Gerrard have to comment about Everton. He should concentrate on his own team, etc etc. Then, said irate Evertonian would spend 5 minutes telling everyone how poor Liverpool werre and how Gerrard was a long ball merchant himself.

For what it is worth, if it were my team, and I had someone with the qualities of big Marion, with the likes of Naysmith and Jelavic running off him, I would play exactly the same way. Play to your strengths and that's what Everton do. Fair play to them.

They didn't purely play long ball yesterday. They played some excellent football in the final third.