The Official Thread for Everton FC

jamamafegan

Pleased with this. I think he definetly has the ability to cope in the EPL and should complement Jelavic quite well up front. Direct replacement for Pienaar?

Absolutely not. Pienaar and Naismith are totally different technically. We should be trying to re sign Pienaar. Bringing back Donovan as well would be a terrific signing.

Absolutely not. Pienaar and Naismith are totally different technically. We should be trying to re sign Pienaar. Bringing back Donovan as well would be a terrific signing.

I don't think he should be a replacement for Pienaar, was just wondering if there was the possibility that the club can't afford Pienaar and Naismith was the best affordable player who plays the same position as him. I hope he tries to sign Pienaar anyway, though I'm struggling to see how both players could fit into the same system since both perform the same task of supporting the main striker, albeit in completely different ways.

I don't think he should be a replacement for Pienaar, was just wondering if there was the possibility that the club can't afford Pienaar and Naismith was the best affordable player who plays the same position as him. I hope he tries to sign Pienaar anyway, though I'm struggling to see how both players could fit into the same system since both perform the same task of supporting the main striker, albeit in completely different ways.

I think Naismith will provide competition to Cahill. As Widge said, Cahill does play up with Jela. Naismith strikes me as a very similar player to Cahill.

I think Naismith will provide competition to Cahill. As Widge said, Cahill does play up with Jela. Naismith strikes me as a very similar player to Cahill.

I hadn't considered that. I suppose a versatille player like Naismith will provide competition for a few of the attacking positions in the team. Would be very surprised if he gets into the team ahead of Cahill, Pienaar or even Osman but I'm glad he's signed nonetheless.

Naismith isn't really a central striker though. His best position has always been out wide, particularly on the left. He might be able to play in behind Jelavic, but I don't think you would get the most out of him there.

Surely he can play in behind Jelavic. Is that not the system Everton use with Cahill at the moment.

I think we'll see Cahill more on the bench next year - with Fellaini playing further forward just off Jelavic with Osman moved into a more central position, Everton played much better towards the end of the season.

Pleased with the signing of Naismith - I can see him playing in a wider role as opposed to more centrally. The board should still be doing their utmost to give Moyes the funds to bring Pienaar back home as he gave the team some real creativity and a spark to their play.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else go to Motherwell today? Have to say that I wasn't impressed. I know it was only a friendly but I'd expect a top 10 EPL club to comfortably beat an SPL team but Motherwell definetly deserved a draw. The team lacked a creative player like Pienaar and neither Vellios or Jelavic really gave the Motherwell defence anything to worry about. Nothing Howard could have done about the goal though. At least McFadden got a good reception from the fans.

Too early to worry about performances, that was Jelavic's first action since poland so think he looked ok considering.

Some looked sharper than others, Coleman, Neville, Osman, Rodwell but that'll come.

Happy enough with Naismith's contribution, seemed eager and put himself about.

I was there and I'm not too concerned with the way the game went. It's very early in the pre-season preparations so it's all about fitness and such at this stage. Motherwell, to their credit, played well and kept the ball nicely, and their goal was a cracking strike. But the players will become sharper than they were yesterday so nothing much to be concerned about.

Jelavic was just back from after Euro 2012 and looked pretty sharp, while Naismith, considering how long he's been out for, did ok when he went on too and you can see an understanding develop between him and Jelavic. Pleasing also to see Rodwell back after injury but again he'll take a few matches to get fully up to match speed.

Thought Fellaini showed some nice touches throughout while Distin was excellent at the back. Strange to see Hibbo at left back but he did ok as well, but for me I was very impressed with Junior in midfield - a lot of nice touches and passes. I feel Coleman needs to be a lot stronger as I think he's a bit of a weak link defensively.

Still, 2 good workouts for the team over 48 hours so that's a pleasing aspect. Hopefully we'll get the Pienaar deal done as he will provide more creativity that we do require.

Decent Toffees support up and the banter pre and post-match in the Railway Inn was cracking. Nice to have an away game that was pretty much a home game for once!

Looks like Cahill is MLS bound.....

Clicky

Sad to see him leave, end of an era really. But probably a good deal for the club. Legend.

My mate just told me this! Can't believe it. End of an era indeed. He didn't have a good season before but that's a real shame he's gone now. A true Evertonian. Wish him all the best.

Pretty shocked to see Cahill go. Especially to the MLS. He's only 32 so he has still got a good few years in him at the EPL level surely.

Wonder what prompted the sale of him. Be a big miss to Everton I reckon.