The Official Thread for Everton FC

jamamafegan

On a side note, the mascots and ballboys will all be wearing "96" on their backs in respect of Hillsborough. I'm sure the fans will pay their own tribute tonight as well.

2 young mascots to lead the teams out tonight, 1 in a no.9 Everton shirt, 1 in a no.6 Liverpool shirt! Fantastic gesture from Everton!

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

2 young mascots to lead the teams out tonight, 1 in a no.9 Everton shirt, 1 in a no.6 Liverpool shirt! Fantastic gesture from Everton!

Yeah, really good presentation before kick off. Nice to see.

As for the game. It felt like a defeat. Such a gutting goal to lose from Ba, after big Victors glorious finish. I made a right tit of myself in the pub, cheering like mad for Fellaini's goal and then Victors one - both wrongly not given. Wanted the floor to eat me up when everyone started laughing :lol:

A win would have seen us in 3rd too. Just rotten luck. Still early days yet though. And the sooner goaline technology is introduced the better! Linesman had a shocker.

The Hillsborough tribute was really touching and well done. Very proud of EFC for that last night.

As for the game, should've had it won by half time and but for 2 appalling refereeing decisions, as well as chronic defending for the second goal, we would've won the game. But I thought Newcastle significantly improved in the second half and, on the balance of play, probably deserved a point.

Hope Jelavic's injury isn't serious. Onwards to South Wales on Saturday.

I didn't see the game last night, but hearing of the tribute from the fans of both sides before the game was a terrific gesture.

A point is a decent result against a good Newcastle side I suppose, but to lose a goal in the way we did at the end last night, makes the draw feel like a defeat.

Ach well, onwards and upwards!

Made the trip down for the game. Was probably the smallest away Newcastle support ive been in at around 1000, but suppose thats to be expected on a Monday night. Could hardly see the pitch from where my £38 seat was, so moved nearer the front where there were gaps.

First half we were shocking. Was looking forward to seeing Marvaux start, but he did nothing. One of the poorest halfs ive seen from Newcastle since the relegation season. Everton were impressing though, especially with Baines and Pienaar giving Perch at right back all sorts of problems.

Second half was a different story. Anita moved to right back and again looked like our best option there. Has been poor in midfield. Perch also had a good second half in midfield. So many of the players who hadn't performed in the first half were like new players in the second. Ben Arfa and Santon especially causing Everton all sorts of problems down the left.

The second half was probably good to watch for the neutral. Good midfield battles and end to end action. Obviously the goal that wasn't was over the line, but I didn't think it was a free kick in the run up to it (havent seen it again however). Then the ref pulling back play as Ben Arfa was about to go one on one with Howard was baffling. At the time I would have been pretty confident he would have scored, but Howard saved a similar one on one chance later in the game.

As for the Everton second goal, it was annoying how easy Taylor made it for him by standing off. Brilliant little chest down and nice finish by Ba for our second.

Finally, enjoyed a good night out in Liverpool after it. Still recovering now unfortunately.

Fair summary, BerwickMad. Certainly Newcastle were a far different proposition in the second half, but even in the first, Cisse skewed a good chance wide from a poor clearing header from Neville. The officials didn't have the best of games - I was delighted he brought the foul on Ben Arfa back but had that gone against Everton I'd have been furious he never waved play on.

When Ba came on, Newcastle almost instantly had more of a threat and the second half was a good, end to end game. I do think for their second half, Newcastle deserved a point but it's disappointing from an Everton point of view to take the lead with 2 to go then concede an equaliser.

Excellent performance today. Anichebe looks to be finally living up to his potential, could be a top striker if he continues on this path.

Indeed, fantastic performance. Anichebe looked very lively and deserved his goal. He has been criticised in the past but his start to this season has been impressive. Great to see Mirallas get his first league goal too. Fellaini had another excellent game. Very pleasing!

Everton were terrific on Saturday and really could've scored more goals. Very good win.

Leeds away in the Capital One Cup, live on Sky Sports. Jelavic back in the squad :) and the team will be backed by 5,000 travelling fans. Should be expecting to win this and hopefully go on a wee run in the tournament.

Gutted.

Tbh while it's always disappointing to lose a game no matter what the competition, the Capital One Cup would no doubt have been down our list of priorities (and understandably so, IMO).

It's a shame we're out of the competition, but the league and FA Cup are what we should be concentrating on, so no longer having the Capital One as a 'distraction' (worst use of that word, but you know what I mean) isn't the worst thing in the world.

Tbh while it's always disappointing to lose a game no matter what the competition, the Capital One Cup would no doubt have been down our list of priorities (and understandably so, IMO).

It's a shame we're out of the competition, but the league and FA Cup are what we should be concentrating on, so no longer having the Capital One as a 'distraction' (worst use of that word, but you know what I mean) isn't the worst thing in the world.

Disagree about the League Cup not being high on the list of priorities - I reckon it was our best chance of a trophy.

Both the League and FA Cups present themselves with the chance of a Wembley final and a trophy - that shouldn't be underestimated. I'm disappointed we went out last night I have to say but, over the piece, we got what we deserved. Leeds battled harder, created more chances and fully deserved to win. Some of the fringe players didn't do much to impress Moyes - Naismith's header at 1-0 was dreadful.

And, FAO Moyes - Seamus Coleman is never, ever a right back. Ridiculous foul to concede which led to the 2nd (which was shoddily defended anyway).

Ah well, we'll just need to win the league and FA Cup double now.....

Heading down to the Southampton game on Saturday and I'm sure we'll see a reaction from the team.

Good performance from the lads on Saturday and a deserved win. Started off a bit slow and Southampton took advantage of dozy defending at a corner to go in front. But, from then on, Everton controlled things and scored three really good goals. Jelavic's double was superb - great play between Mirallas and Fellaini to set him up, while Coleman, who had a really good game at right back and certainly made me eat a bit of humble pie after I criticised his performance at Leeds, did brilliantly to put the ball in for Jelavic's header.

The game was won at half time which meant there wasn't a great deal of excitement in the second half but Everton played very well. No real failures but Coleman, Mirallas and Fellaini were the main ones for me, Jelavic aside. Mirallas is looking like an absolutely quality signing.

2 very winnable games at Wigan and QPR before the derby with the Reds at the end of October. Second in the league is not too shabby! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so Pienarr is out for the derby...such a bitter blow. On the plus side Fellaini could make a return. I think we may struggle.

The derby is always such a tough one to call. As cliched as it sounds, the form goes out the window for Merseyside derbies. Either side can be honking (as Liverpool currently) are, but can still pull off a victory.

I'm not too confident such is the above, but they can't have been at such a low ebb for quite a while so we have to feel we can get the win. Who knows though?

The derby is always such a tough one to call. As cliched as it sounds, the form goes out the window for Merseyside derbies. Either side can be honking (as Liverpool currently) are, but can still pull off a victory.

I'm not too confident such is the above, but they can't have been at such a low ebb for quite a while so we have to feel we can get the win. Who knows though?

Form usually does go out the window for this one.

Don't be so sure Liverpool are so 'honking' in comparison though. Recent league form shows 7 points from the last 9 compared to 5 from 9 for Everton. All off the back of a League cup win for Liverpool and loss for Everton.

Have to be honest and say I was dreading this one a month ago but now...bring it on! ( Sort of :-) )