Hillsborough debate

Desert Nomad

I suppose back then the police could do no wrong and nowadays its the Liverpool fans who could possibly have done no wrong so the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle although both of us have valid points.

I don't think they should keep refusing to play on the 15th April, who the f**k do they think they are?

I don't think they were fighting among themselves, did football fans have a bad reputation of fighting each other in the 80's?

The police fucked it up and used the bad reputation of Liverpool fans and other hooliganism at the time to get off the hook IMO

Im no fan of the Liverpool supporters and think Heysel was a disgrace but in this case it wasn't their fault

Who said they were fighting amongst themselves. Though they had form there too.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/may/23/newsstory.sport

In Athens ticketless fans turned up turned up trying to blagg their way in.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/may/25/newsstory.sport8

also worth reading.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/jun/04/newsstory.sport18

European football's governing body commissioned undercover police to compile a report into the behaviour of fans four years ago, and their completed report states Liverpool fans has been involved in 25 separate disturbances at European away games since 2003 - more than those of any other club.

• 2 months later...

Just when families think the whole situation is finished with, something else crops up given them more misery.

This guy clearly has shown failures within his job that day but can he be put away for it, especially when he has admitted to have been inexperienced and not suitable

Why is this thread not being given attention on here when all this is going on?

I honestly assumed Duckenfield was dead until i noticed this but what has come out in past few days has been huge.

Not sure how to feel about him from hearing about his evidence, i hope all the blame for the disaster doesn't fall entirely on him and doubt that would give any of the families much closure on the events

I honestly assumed Duckenfield was dead until i noticed this but what has come out in past few days has been huge.

Not sure how to feel about him from hearing about his evidence, i hope all the blame for the disaster doesn't fall entirely on him and doubt that would give any of the families much closure on the events

Personally I think there shouldn'tbe too much discussion on it until the hearing is done, I've been following it on Twitter and there's been quite a lot of wtf moments so far.

I echo your thoughts on Duckenfield but I would be far from surprised if he got scapegoated.

As Waldo says it's been put out there any comments etc on the internet could harm the case so it's probably best not really to say much about it. Hopefully all will be resolved soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Justice for Heysel campaign set to soar with various rallies petitions and of course celebrity matches and singles released to highlight the need to bring the murdering Liverpool fans to justice, I have no doubt John Bishop, Stevie G , Robbie Williams and co will be all over this...

• 1 year later...

Sare yin all round.

I had a cursory look over the evidence for the failings and it is pretty damning for everyone involved. It seems pretty obvious with hindsight the stadium was never safe and the police never managed the situation.

Take it from a Wednesday POV it's to do with the stewards being incompetent? Not like the actual stadium layout or turnstile availability?

Stadium was unsafe and they knew it was, also there was problems with ticketing which they controlled. Engineers also never carried out proper checks.