Tennents Sixes

I reckon its about time for a return to the winter break to have a return of the Tennents Sixes. We could award bonus league points to the winner and runner up. Play it over a few weekends.

Real players though none of that masters pish.

That's uncanny, I was thinking the same thing yesterday, about to add a post into that Skol Cup thread, but stopped. The post would have been something like:

Never mind the Skol Cup shirts, when are we going to get the Tennent's sixes back?.

It was a good laugh that wee tournament, for the record here's the past winners (taken from Wiki)

I'm in favour of the idea too, especially with the reserve leagues now scrapped. Bring in a wee bit more tv money and it'd be a better way to sell the game to families in the winter. I'm sure clubs could even bring out a strip especially for it in time for christmas, punt them for 20 quid or so. Is there not a winter break now? Squeeze it in there.

I thought that was supposed to be kept quiet FFS !!!! ;)

Well it was me who bought it! Trade in for some old Indiana Jones movies on Betamax.

If they want it back, do you think anyone will notice that I've had it engraved so Third Lanark have won it every year since 1994?

tongue.gif

Back on topic, would be great to see it brought back. Some of the Juniors dabbled with an indoor tournament (they of course all but guaranteed to having a winter shutdown whether they like it or not) and it was a good laugh, so why not the Seniors?

Edited by WaffenThinMint

Used to love the Sixes and the 1991 tourney that Hearts beat us in the final was particularly good fun as Davie Cooper was a total genius at the sixes - I remember a fine hatrick against the now defunct Airdrieonians in a fiery lanarkshire derby. In the SECC. On a carpet. I've still got it on a VHS tape somewhere that I can't play.

It had a darker side though - I was part of a group of 'Well fans warned by the police* for singing "Hazel, Hazel - show's yer tits", as Hazel Irvine did an interview in front of us. Not a day goes by when I don't regret it.

*One cop came up trying not to laugh and said "C'mon lads, it's a family event"

It was a good laugh that wee tournament, for the record here's the past winners (taken from Wiki)

Dear god is there no end to our ownership of the wee team?

Twice as many wins as they have! :)

Used to love the Sixes and the 1991 tourney that Hearts beat us in the final was particularly good fun as Davie Cooper was a total genius at the sixes - I remember a fine hatrick against the now defunct Airdrieonians in a fiery lanarkshire derby. In the SECC. On a carpet. I've still got it on a VHS tape somewhere that I can't play.

It had a darker side though - I was part of a group of 'Well fans warned by the police* for singing "Hazel, Hazel - show's yer tits", as Hazel Irvine did an interview in front of us. Not a day goes by when I don't regret it.

*One cop came up trying not to laugh and said "C'mon lads, it's a family event"

Why? Did she get them out? biggrin.gif

I remember Thistle were penalized for keeping possession too long in one of the matches. :)

Also two of our better players were leigh palin and Paul McGlaughlin who weren't the most successful on a full-size pitch.

Would Thistle be invited for the next one? In fact we should organise it. If we build it they will come :)