Songs That Mess With Your Emotions

bishoptonbuddie

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knows its a bit of a tangent , but , the Futurama episode Luck Of The Fryrish ending , while , Simple Minds Don't You Forget About Me plays , always gets a lump in my throat. A cartoon ffs.

http://smotri.com/vi...id=v103341323d9

Eta video

Me too actually, was on recently. Forgot how well done it is. And on that point, perhaps more than your example, when Fry's dog waits for him after he's frozen, and the scene is slowly watching him grow old and die while the song "I will wait for you" (not sure it's that title, but must be close) plays. Brutal.

For me it's a lot of the more emotional songs that appear in Scrubs. They have impeccably good taste and timing when it comes to placing music amongst the scenes - I'm not sure I remember any occasions where they got it wrong. It's usually pretty much the perfect song for the situation, and that pushes the song up another level in terms of emotional impact. Songs like Tell Her This - Del Amitri, How to Save a Life - The Fray and Winter - Joshua Radin. On their own, probably not much, but when coupled with what's on screen, they're done so well.

Others for me include

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Exogenesis: Redemption - Muse (beautiful string arrangement and sentiment behind the final verse/chorus)

Ohne Dich - Rammstein (perhaps as it's being sung by a tank of a man, or the lyrics, or how they both combine to make something great)

Nebel - Rammstein (similar to above, but with it being about a couple spending their last time together, their final kiss before the wife dies, and then how he has begun to forget after so long...)

:bairn

Willie fuckin' Nelson. Having come to realise that I fucked up badly by splitting up with my last girlfriend, I heard this, went all quiver-lipped then felt the tears starting to come on. I rarely, if ever, cry. Big Wullie totally nailed me with this. Elvis' version's good, but I think this is more honest and heartfelt. I kept the sound down as I queued this up on YouTube!

Let's not even get started on Roy Orbison. His entire back catalogue's nothing but kick-in-the-nuts heartbreakers.

Let's not even get started on Roy Orbison. His entire back catalogue's nothing but kick-in-the-nuts heartbreakers.

You're not wrong, Barry. It reminds of the time I fell out with my girlfirend and walked from St Andrews to Tayport (a good 3 hr walk at 12am). All along the way I sang "I Drove All Night" in my head. Obviously I didn't have a car, but in my mind I was Jason Priestley and she was Jennifer Gardner. I arrived at her door, tired, hungover, and in need of a hug. Sadly, she said "f**k off you, I never want to see you again". I was a heartbroken man. I turned from Roy Orbsion to Ben. E. King and started singing "Stand by Me" in my head as I met my friend in Tayport and slept on his floor. A single man, with the ball at my feet, but the world on my shoulders. Never Again.

Archived