Booing Davie Weir

Will you boo Davie Weir?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My only concerns with Weir are that he is slow, always has been, and I don't think he's ever been vocal enough for that position.  Still if he keeps out the Belarussians when we're over there in June I'll consider not booing him  :(

457939[/snapback]

I don't think we really have any options for centre back with any pace to speak of. At least Weir has the experience and ability to counter his lack of pace to some extent.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pity I hadn't seen this thread before.

I'm with Tormod 100%

I was in Iceland (the game right after the Faroes) and you should have heard the songs being sung about Weir that night.

You don't pick and choose your games for your country. It's a HONOUR and by coming back, he is devaluing the jersey. As previously stated, I'd walk over hot coals to play for Scotland and would hope that the guys who are picked would have a similar pride.

I won't boo his name as I don't want to be counterproductive (we have enough problems at present) but I won't cheer it either.

However, booing your own players does work sometimes. How do you think Thistle got rid of Kenny Brannigain so quickly?

He plays for a team that finished 4th in the premiership and qualified for the champions league.

He may have walked out on that kraut McVogts but who could blame him? He'll do for me!

As for Roy Keane, if I were a paddy then I would boo him. The man is a disgrace who thinks as captain he has a right to publicly criticise other players. He's not talented but a thug on the pitch, was proud about deliberately ending Alf Haaland's career with a thuggish tackle and threw his toys out of the pram at the 2002 World Cup when Mick McCarthy was 'overtraining' him after a hard season at Man Ure. Aww, shame.

Arrogant, cheating thug who shouldn't be allowed to play the game still!

Hmmm, rant over

Guest steelmen88
I'll treat David Weir the same as any other Scotland player. He didnb't walk out on his country because of the country itself, but because of Vogts.

446996[/snapback]

Agree

Agree

540486[/snapback]

No, by walking out on Vogts, he let himself, his team-mates, and his country down at a time when we needed everyone we could get. <_<

In saying that, his last two performances have done a lot to win me over, and another good shift tomorrow night will almost make me forgive him ;)

I'd never boo any Scotland player before the game but Weir's name was the only one I didn't cheer when the team was announced on Saturday. Still don't think you should be able to pick and choose when you want to play for your country.

Guest Guinness_Alan

He could be the best player in the world, but it wouldn't change my mind. If you walk out on your country once there should be no way back! No one is bigger than the team. I will never applaud Weir again, nor anyone else who lets the squad down by going off in a huff!

Davie Weir - I salute you :)

Well played on Saturday big man, more of the same on Wednesday night please.

All you doubters - start eating your hats :angry:

538766[/snapback]

Had an excellent game tonight and on Saturday. No need for any hat eating though. I never said he wasn't good, only that he let us down.

• 2 months later...
How do you rate Davie's rehabilitation now then? The big man was immense and I would be very worried if I was Pressley (who I have never really rated anyway - a poor man's Colin Hendry  )

Yeah and if he'd been mature enough to admit he cost us the Faroes game and had taken his criticism like a man who knows how few goals we'd have leaked under Berti. Still we'll never know because he ran away crying like a girl.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Yeah and if he'd been mature enough to admit he cost us the Faroes game and had taken his criticism like a man who knows how few goals we'd have leaked under Berti.  Still we'll never know because he ran away crying like a girl.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

664153[/snapback]

People are allowed to make mistakes.... its part of life.

Would Falkirk fans boo Darryl Duffy at a Scotland game? :huh:

Weir retired from international football. He changed his mind. What's the big deal? Who cares what his reasons were?

Did people boo Paul Lambert? Will France fans boo Zidane?

Some people don't have the same nationalist views when it comes to representing their country. If someone wants to play, and the manager wants to pick them, then that's good enough for me.

People are allowed to make mistakes.... its part of life.

664583[/snapback]

Exactly, you both chose Falkirk to support. It happens :lol:

Seriously, I think Davie Weir has done enough to win over most of the doubters. I was disgusted at him walking out, and at the time said he should never play for Scotland again. However, he HAS come back, and is a far better player than he was even a year ago, after a fantastic season with Everton.

He's back, he's playing well, he's helping our national team. And at the end of the day, no matter what you think of his previous actions, thats all that really matters. I want to see Scotland do well, regardless of who pulls on the jersey.

Would Falkirk fans boo Darryl Duffy at a Scotland game?

Duffys request to play was sent to the wrong address by the SFA. They're good at cocking things up as they have shown once more today.

Know your stuff before slating players for not turning out for their nation.

Duffys request to play was sent to the wrong address by the SFA.  They're good at cocking things up as they have shown once more today.

Know your stuff before slating players for not turning out for their nation.

664990[/snapback]

If you bothered to read the rest of my post, you'd realise that I wouldn't boo anyone who wanted to play for Scotland, and that me bringing up Duffy was not to "slate" him but as another example of a player who opted to do something else other rather than represent his country, regardless of where his request was sent. He's entitled to do what he likes, so is Davie Weir.

Read stuff before making reactionary replies.

If you bothered to read the rest of my post, you'd realise that I wouldn't boo anyone who wanted to play for Scotland, and that me bringing up Duffy was not to "slate" him but as another example of a player who opted to do something else other rather than represent his country, regardless of where his request was sent. He's entitled to do what he likes, so is Davie Weir.

Don't try and bail yourself out. Duffy was on holiday oblivious to the fact that he'd even been called up. The SFA screwed up, he was asked to see Bonhoff upon his return and then and only then did the SFA realise THEIR mistake not Duffys. So no it's not another example at all. So once more, check your facts. No reactionary replies here.

Don't try and bail yourself out.  Duffy was on holiday oblivious to the fact that he'd even been called up.  The SFA screwed up, he was asked to see Bonhoff upon his return and then and only then did the SFA realise THEIR mistake not Duffys.  So no it's not another example at all.  So once more, check your facts.  No reactionary replies here.

665163[/snapback]

Fair enough, I bow to your superior knowledge of Darryl Duffy's movements.

Still wasn't slating him as you suggested, and my point remains the same.

Archived