Upcoming Film Releases

11thHour

On 03/03/2024 at 15:48, BallochSonsFan said:

The trailers they had before Dune part 2 today were absolutely garbage. The Deadpool movie suggesting that nobody at Marvel even cares any more and Godzilla x King Kong looking even worse.

Went today Dune part 2 was good enough to warrant looking forward to part 3

i must have had the same trailers cause I laughed my bollocks off at what they’ll make next kingkong and Godzilla in a Tag team against the Hardy BOYZ AT WRESTLMANIA, in an I quit match

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 25/03/2024 at 19:19, skiblue said:

New Ghostbusters any good? 

Mixed bag..very slow first half..picks up a bit in the second once the 'originals' return, (who easily outshine the new members), but then has the feeling of a rushed ending.

Of all the video game franchises to get a film adaption The Sims might be the strangest. Wonder if it'll be eligible for the best foreign film category?

Edited by GNU_Linux

10 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Of all the video game franchises to get a film adaption The Sims might be the strangest. Wonder if it'll be eligible for the best foreign film category?

It'll likely just be Barbie mixed with The Matrix. You can see how it could work. Plus, it's one of the biggest game franchises ever, played by people who don't even play computer games, and owned by a company so rapacious they've fought tooth and nail for their right to market gambling to children. It's amazing it's taken this long; we'd have a Shower with your Dad Simulator film by now if it'd been owned by EA and made billions of dollars.

The weirdest might be Blubberella; notoriously awful filmmaker Uwe Boll making several Bloodrayne adaptions, then following them up with a shot-by-shot spoof with the same cast, only replacing the gorgeous, pouting, bustier-clad main character with a fat bird. And they say ze Germans have no sense of humour.

Is anything actually new coming out, like new ideas? It really looks as if no one attached to the big studios is coming up with something original. Its all sequals and remakes. It seems no one wants to take risks or gives a shit. Not surprised.

5 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

Is anything actually new coming out, like new ideas? It really looks as if no one attached to the big studios is coming up with something original. Its all sequals and remakes. It seems no one wants to take risks or gives a shit. Not surprised.

Has been since the credit crunch. The people who put the money up to make films do so on the understanding that they'll make a worthwhile profit, not on whether something entertaining or worthwhile will be made, and they're still gambling on safe bets. People like to say that nobody has any ideas anymore, but it's all about risk aversion.

I'd guess we'll see that change fairly soon, considering that more and more of the $300m franchise films have been losing money of late. The theory used to be that it was virtually impossible for a film to lose money past a certain budget, but that's been blown out of the water well and truly. The industry no longer has the huge DVD market to shore up disappointing box office now either, which is why they're all desperate to establish their own subscription services, which is pushing people back towards piracy again...

It's not a working model anymore and we'll probably see a trend back to smaller films that do something different, both in public tastes and investment. Or maybe in ten years TikTok will have killed all forms of entertainment longer than 30 seconds.

39 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Has been since the credit crunch. The people who put the money up to make films do so on the understanding that they'll make a worthwhile profit, not on whether something entertaining or worthwhile will be made, and they're still gambling on safe bets. People like to say that nobody has any ideas anymore, but it's all about risk aversion.

I'd guess we'll see that change fairly soon, considering that more and more of the $300m franchise films have been losing money of late. The theory used to be that it was virtually impossible for a film to lose money past a certain budget, but that's been blown out of the water well and truly. The industry no longer has the huge DVD market to shore up disappointing box office now either, which is why they're all desperate to establish their own subscription services, which is pushing people back towards piracy again...

It's not a working model anymore and we'll probably see a trend back to smaller films that do something different, both in public tastes and investment. Or maybe in ten years TikTok will have killed all forms of entertainment longer than 30 seconds.

Its been like that pre CC since the late 90's and getting worse. Since COVID its now at saturation point where the whole mainstream industry seems focussed on recycling old ideas. Sad to see its seeping into the TV series market now since that has been a breath of fresh air over the last 20 years. But that is another topic.

Indie films are largely where to look for something that gets your brain working and is a rewarding watch.

It worth mentioning that adapting from books is probably OK, I've seen some very good films over the years/decades originating from that source.

Dune needed to be done and done properly, that was well overdue. I'm looking forward to seeing the second one.

38 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

Its been like that pre CC since the late 90's and getting worse. Since COVID its now at saturation point where the whole mainstream industry seems focussed on recycling old ideas. Sad to see its seeping into the TV series market now since that has been a breath of fresh air over the last 20 years. But that is another topic.

Indie films are largely where to look for something that gets your brain working and is a rewarding watch.

It worth mentioning that adapting from books is probably OK, I've seen some very good films over the years/decades originating from that source.

Dune needed to be done and done properly, that was well overdue. I'm looking forward to seeing the second one.

It's surprising how many books are literary adaptions; the author credit can sometimes slip by without you noticing.

It has its own issues though; novels in the public domain are considered easy money for film studios, as apparently there are people among us who still haven't seen enough lazy adaptions of Jane Eyre/A Christmas Carol/anything by Shakespeare. I love War of the Worlds, but there's a new film/TV show every few years, and still everyone insists on changing the time period.

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

The weirdest might be Blubberella; notoriously awful filmmaker Uwe Boll making several Bloodrayne adaptions, then following them up with a shot-by-shot spoof with the same cast, only replacing the gorgeous, pouting, bustier-clad main character with a fat bird. And they say ze Germans have no sense of humour.

That just reminded me Uwe Boll did a film adaption of Postal.

6 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

That just reminded me Uwe Boll did a film adaption of Postal.

...along with Far Cry, Dungeon Siege, and any other video game licence that had people thinking "no fucking way has someone made that into a film."

Oddly, his film Rampage wasn't based on the Godzilla/Wolfman/King Kong city-destroying game that The Rock would later be in an adaption of, but was his own thing about a spree shooter, and was possibly the only decent film he ever made.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2024 at 19:29, scottsdad said:

Tickets booked for Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock

showing at Cineworld in about 4 weeks time.

I loved this movie. Mainly because for years (read, even now) my brother and I would randomly yell out the Klingon transporter call. Mainly the "choi choo" bit. It was the first thing we did when we got mobile phones too 🤣.

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

I loved this movie. Mainly because for years (read, even now) my brother and I would randomly yell out the Klingon transporter call. Mainly the "choi choo" bit. It was the first thing we did when we got mobile phones too 🤣.

One of the few movies that defies the odd/even rule.

Maltz! Choi choo!

Then you never saw Makltz again.

10 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

The First Omen is worth a watch. Just forget about the actual plot of the original movie though. There might be a slight deviation from the back story.

Still think it's probably the worst film I've ever seen in a cinema.

Got a couple of belly laughs out of it, though. That pregnant freak-out scene was something else, and it Just. Kept. Going.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Sunday. Father's Day. Me and Scott.

wyRWEg.gif

In a vacuum it’s not the lack of pressure that sucks things towards it but the pressure from the explosion that fills the void, so that gif has many issues, to the point I think it’s fake news!

• 2 weeks later...